#21 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

Lovely bright, sunny day if not exactly warm. I did a variation of the Belton Figure Of Eight. 15.49, 171 done this year. Should have taken the road bike, the roads are nice and dry. But I didn't.

Are you getting on better with the Boardman now?  All nice and properly adjusted?

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for asking, Rob! Last time I rode it I was getting on OK with it, but actually I've only used it about three times since November and not at all this year. The increased comfort of the hybrid is a sort of compensation for the cold weather .. and I don't mind it getting splashed so much.

#23 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:22 PM

I found it my road bike comfier when I "slammed the stem" i.e. took all those rings out from under the stem and put them on top of it.

I may swap the longer stem back in too.

Dammit, should have got that 61 cm frame...... :angry:

#24 gornhay

gornhay

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:36 PM

Wrote a blog piece about cycling on Thursday http://www.jamesgibbon.com/cycling/

Will you be giving us a monthly Peartlike travel blog?

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

I won't be travelling anywhere significant on it on a monthly basis, so - no. This thread is it!

#26 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:14 AM

Will you be giving us a monthly Peartlike travel blog?

James' writing is more interesting than that.

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Rob, but I don't think it is :)

Moving the goalposts already, but I've decided to aim for 2298 miles this year, rather than 2112. If I reach that target it'll mean I've done 5,000 miles in two years.

#28 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

A bit blowy but not too cold. I did 12.87, a route I made up in my head as I went along and nothing adventurous or particularly interesting. Half rural, half urban.

183.55 done this year so I'm looking good for 200 before Feb.

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

Dry save a few stray puddles and not cold, so I went out and did a truncated version of the Belton Figure Of Eight which gave me 12.02 miles, a comfortable lunchtime distance. The 40mph winds were supposed to have died down to a tolerable 20mph-ish but I don't think they had and a few of the more exposed miles on the way back were hard won indeed.

Anyway - 195.57 done this year. For fun I'm racing my one-year-younger self, and I'd done 77 miles this time last year. So I've built up an 118 mile lead.

#30 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

Cold and rainy and I've got the sniffles too.

Not been out this year.  No point if it isn't fun.

#31 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

Only been out on a five miler so far. That was only to test my new Garmin Vivoactive watch and Heart Monitor. They work. My heart nearly exploded.

Still I did find I had set some new fastest times of the year on some local courses set up on Map My Ride when I synced the data, When I synced with Strava I was about half way down on the yearly standings...

• Moving Target likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#32 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:23 AM

I never knew that Nick has a heart

• Slim and Moving Target like this

#33 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

A bit blowy again at lunchtime but not too cold when I wrapped up and nice and dry. Once again I improvised a route as I went along, taking a route with a winding narrow path through Farm Town. I had forgotten how quickly it descends; quite an exhilarating ride requiring careful concentration. Only 9.27 miles but I had a meeting to prepare for in the afternoon. 205 miles done this month, which is actually comfortably more than 1/12 of the target so I'm pleased with that considering it's one of the darker / wetter / colder months.

#34 Schmoo

Schmoo

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:24 PM

Is there much snow in the winter where you're at, James?

#35 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

It's variable, but usually not much. Had a snowfall a couple of weeks ago that turned the village green white for a day or two, and a sprinkling about a week before that, but that's been it this year so far.

I don't go out unless the roads are clear and at least mostly dry.

#36 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

A slightly odd one, today. I decided to take a route that I used occasionally a few years ago, that takes a left from Swannington through some narrow paths then back out on Ashby Road. I haven't tried that one since I started cycling in earnest at the beginning of last year because it's relatively short, prone to be muddy and involves a steep climb. But I thought it might make a nice change.

Anyway about half-way through I found myself on part of a well-travelled more recent route, which totally threw me. I was still on the old route but had no idea that that part of it, near Coleorton, was shared with the new, very familiar route. I could no longer relate where I was in the terms of the old route, it just didn't seem like the same place. So despite having done it about a dozen times in 2013, I couldn't work out which way to go from there and lost my way.

From there I improvised a vaguely enjoyable if slightly over-hilly route and ended up doing 14.39 miles. Nice day out there, sunny if cold. Feel slightly guilty not to have done the Saturday 25-miler, but it's a bit blowy.

219 done this year. The weather forecast for tomorrow looks a bit grim so I suspect that's it for the January campaign.

#37 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Did last week's five miler twice today.

Last week was just a pootle out to check my new fitness watch and heart rate monitor worked. Today I thought I'd be quicker. Wrong. Bloody wind. Got blown into the kerb a couple of times,

Found out my heart is flatlining, it just does a constant 165bpm...

Fifteen miles for January. That's infinitely higher than last year. Result.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#38 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:28 PM

It seems you don't have to use performance-enhancing drugs to enhance your performance in cycling:

http://news.sky.com/...lists-race-bike

"A concealed motor has been discovered during the examination of a bike used by a Belgian cyclist at the world cyclo-cross championships.

The bike was seized by cycling authorities after Femke Van den Driessche, 19, was forced to pull out of the women's under-23 race due to a mechanical problem."

A similarly modified bike, filmed last year

And

#39 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:56 PM

Fifteen miles for January. That's infinitely higher than last year. Result.

Nil for me.  

I remember a couple of Januarys ago doing 28 miles on my hybrid on a Sunday morning, comfortably the farthest I had ever ridden until then, due to getting lost in Surrey.  It felt like all the distance in the world, back then.  Killed my legs - I don't know how I got back the last five miles.

Dunno.  The motivation is not there now.  I need a target.

#40 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

I found that the motivation to go out and cycle just dropped off a cliff when I hit my target last year, which is why I kept moving the goalposts to get it back.

Anyway - went out this lunchtime and did a different route that I'd devised down through Ibstock, across through Bagworth and back through Ellistown. Busier roads than I normally like and a bit urban through Ellistown, but it made a change. I got rained on for about one minute, but only lightly.

12.44 miles, 232 done this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users