309 replies to this topic

#301 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:24 AM

Because a typical run out for me is 13 -16 miles, I find myself thinking in chunks of distance of a similar size. So when I set off to go to Lincolnshire and back, I wasn't really thinking of the next 73 miles, I was doing a 18 mile run, which I knew would be followed by another three. I was really only thinking about getting to Six Hills, which I knew would be easy as it's only about the same distance as a run out to Belton and back.

It does help psychologically to break a longer ride down like that.

#302 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Went out to do the standard lunch break Packington Pentagon. Cold, dismally cloudy, windy and a threat of rain so not the best conditions, but I've set myself a target of 300 for each of the four middle months, so because I'll be away from home for a week or so at least, I wanted to get the June campaign off to a decent start.

I took the hybrid, but it didn't rain.

Had to wear leggings, and my thumbs got painfully cold from resting them on the bars. Disappointing for June but at least we had warm weather at the weekend.

Anyway, 11.75 miles (I performed a slight flourish at the end). 1903 done this year.

https://www.strava.c...ities/595128179

#303 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

How long a rest stop can you take before you're not really on the same ride when you climb back on the saddle? For example if you do 25 miles to a pub, have lunch there, sit and watch a football match on the TV for another half hour then ride back, does that count as a 50 mile ride?

I'd say so.  When I did London-Brighton (52 miles) in 2014 I stopped for a hour for lunch.  Talked to a couple of hardmen who had been to Brighton already and half-way back.  After lunch I got bored, and just wanted the thing finished as quick as I could.

#304 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:07 PM

It does help psychologically to break a longer ride down like that.

My Garmin flags up every five miles as a lap. I just tick those off and count them down as I go along.

Despite the evening gloom, I went out to ride up and down my local bit of flat road again, with a bit of added hill work at the end. By 'eck it were 'ard wok cycling North into a stiff headwind, but it wor raight nice gooin back south again :)
Because it was cold, I put on my skin tight bib tights and close fitting top and used the fresh Northerly breeze at my back to set my fastest time on the Strava segment "Litter Pickers Sprint". Fourth quickest overall on it now :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#305 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

I did the expanded version of the Packington Pentagon on a late lunch this afternoon. I pushed myself a bit more than usual as I was short of time and got round in less than 55 mins. Quite blowy out there and I seemed to be putting up with a headwind most of the way round, not really sure how that's possible on an essentially circular course unless I was being victimised by the weather.

Anyway - 13.17, 25 done this month. More tomorrow I hope.

#306 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

Completed my first 100 mile ride today. Had to slap loads of Sudocrem in the nether regions when I got back..
It was the Thorne Flat'n'Fast Sportive. It was certainly flat - for the most part - and at a shade under 19mph it was quickish. I had been averaging about 19.5, but after the second feed stop at 80 miles I started to flag a bit, it was all very flat, on very straight roads into just enough of a headwind to take the edge off your speed. The big slab of Parkin and a packet of Haribos probably didn't help.
It certainly does make a difference when you get on the back of a group, you save no end of energy. I bet they cursed me when after drafting along on the flat I took off going up the first of what passed for hills! They had the last laugh when they came by me after my chain came off :(

#307 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

Completed my first 100 mile ride today. Had to slap loads of Sudocrem in the nether regions when I got back..
It was the Thorne Flat'n'Fast Sportive. It was certainly flat - for the most part - and at a shade under 19mph it was quickish. I had been averaging about 19.5, but after the second feed stop at 80 miles I started to flag a bit, it was all very flat, on very straight roads into just enough of a headwind to take the edge off your speed. The big slab of Parkin and a packet of Haribos probably didn't help.
It certainly does make a difference when you get on the back of a group, you save no end of energy. I bet they cursed me when after drafting along on the flat I took off going up the first of what passed for hills! They had the last laugh when they came by me after my chain came off :(

Magnificent effort Nick!  That's a long way, and fast.

#308 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

Magnificent effort Nick!  That's a long way, and fast.

Thanks to the flatness :)

Must admit that the flatness can all get a bit relentless, in the last 20 there was a section of about five miles long, straight and flat, it got a bit much for me, I'm used to undulations and curves. The quickest time of the day was about four hours and twenty, but that was with no stops. If I've paid £20 and there are 2 feed stations then I'm going to take advantage :)

I was in two minds as to whether to go out today or not and Mrs S had various tasks lined up for me to pay her back for her getting up at half five yesterday to make me some porridge. But did I want to be a mouse? HELL NO!!!!
So, it was off out for a quick 23.65 miles, I can't say as yesterday's efforts can have taken too much out of me as I set some uphill records for me although other upward bits were a bit tardy. Almost twice as much climbing today in a quarter of yesterday's distance, it's good to go uphill at times I now realise, the flat is just too relentless.

#309 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:45 AM

#310 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:23 PM

Went out to see the Women's Tour of Britain today. Went up the way I rehearsed on Tuesday and ascended the Col du Wigley more slowly. Thought I'd be quicker after a couple of days rest, but I think I have a cold coming on, as the lungs were feeling it more than the legs. Once the first couple of batches of cyclists had come through, I set off back into Chesterfield to catch the finish, knowing that the women had to descend back to the Derwent Valley and then climb back again before passing by the school where Mrs S works - Mrs S organised it for the kids to come and watch if they so wished - It was fun going back into town, as loads of people were standing outside their houses and I waved on my way past, informing them that the tour had crossed onto Beeley Moor 20 minutes back :)
I did manage to glimpse the finish and hung around for the presentations. Nice to see Lizzie Armitstead get the win and the Yellow Jersey.
Afterwards I was going to go out for another ride, but Chez Vegas was gridlocked and then I'd have hit school chucking out time so back home it was.

Here's some very poor video:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users