309 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:14 PM

The old thread was getting a bit long so I've started a new one for the new year, hope no-one minds.

Got the 2016 campaign off to a rather invigorating (ie cold) start with a slightly modified version of the Belton Figure Of Eight on the hybrid. 15.86 miles. The weather looks decidedly ropey for the next few days, but I didn't start until January 9th last year so I'm happy enough with that. Aiming to do at least 120 miles this month.

2096 to go!

• Moving Target likes this

#2 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:22 PM

I don't have a mile target in mind this year.  I might just pick three or four sportives and charity rides and train for them.  Might try to get a crew from work together for the Help for Heroes ride in June.

• Slim likes this

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:17 PM

Very frustrated by the weather at the moment, seems to have been predominantly wet for about two weeks now. Will make up for it with some night rides when we get a few dry days.

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

Dry today albeit a few puddles lurk here and there. I did the time-honoured lunchtime route, extended to take in Ibstock instead of Heather, thereby avoiding a (probably) waterlogged Heather Lane. Glad to get out again. Not too cold. 12.74 miles,  28.60 done this year. I'd done 0 this time last year so I'm winning!

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

The rain has gone away for a few hours so I set out for an invigorating night-time ride at 18:30. Did the Belton Figure Of Eight with the top part of the 8 reversed for a laugh. 15.5 miles. A bit creepy riding those lonely country lanes in the dark, hundreds of metres from the nearest streetlight. But I had an LED torch strapped to my bars that lights up the road in front almost like a car headlight. A bit cold, it's about 3 degrees C out there but the leggings I bought from Amazon do a decent job and I wasn't uncomfortable.

That's 44 miles this month, not bad considering the predominantly wet weather.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

A year exactly after I set off on my first cycling outing of 2015, during the course of which I was bitten by a dog, I went and did the Belton Figure Of Eight. Roads a bit wet, but surprisingly mild. I bought some thermal long pants to go under my cycling leggings. They seem to work well but since it wasn't that cold I can't be sure. They aren't designed for cycling of course but didn't inhibit leg movement too much once stretched in after a mile or so.

15.45 miles. 59.55 done in 2016, all of them on the hybrid.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:26 PM

Against all odds, a beautiful, bright sunny day out there, albeit the roads are a bit moist. Took the hybrid out for a run through Swannington, through to Lount and across to Breedon, then back along Top Brand through Coleorton. Very nice run out. 16.32 miles, which takes me to a total of 75.87 January miles. Quite pleased with that given the conspicuous poverty of dry weather and daylight hours at the moment.

#8 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

I want to try a 90 km mtb race in September. For that I will definately have to cycle more this year and lose a bit of weight

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:13 PM

Cold and the roads are still damp but it's not raining, so I did the Ibstock-Extended Old Faithful Lunch Hour. 12.75. 88.62 done this year.

• Moving Target likes this

#10 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Getting a touch bored of the usual routes all the time so I devised one that takes a narrow lane from Swannington to Whitwick. But I missed a turn, and ended up taking the preposterously rollercoaster-esque Abbey Road to Shepshed. I won't do that again. I enjoyed the 32mph descents but the uphill counterparts were a bastard.

Still, a good workout I suppose.

I took the main road back from Shepshed, a route I know well from excursions to Loughborough in a car, but which I wouldn't normally attempt on a bike. A large lorry passing at about 50mph gave me about eight inches of clearance on its way past.

Anyway not a route I'll bother with again, but 14.77 miles nonetheless. That takes me to 103 done in 2016, more than my January total in 2015. I'm winning.

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 04:15 PM

Cold and a thin sprinkling of snow here and there but the roads were dry and clear enough for an excursion on the hybrid. Took a route similar to one I did over the holidays, going past Leicestershire's highest pub. Nice views. I wrapped up warm and was quite comfortable. 13.45 miles, which takes me to 117 this month.

#12 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:43 AM

Wrote a blog piece about cycling on Thursday http://www.jamesgibbon.com/cycling/

• Valium and Moving Target like this

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:42 PM

Very cold but a beautiful bright sunny day so I took a punt on going out on the hybrid while on call, and did my favourite Saturday route down to Sheepy Parva and back through Bosworth. Wonderful run out, enjoyed it very much although one or two of the narrower lanes were a bit muddy. Started to feel a bit cold when the Sun disappeared behind clouds and a light mist descended, but I only had three miles to go at that point.

25.6 miles. 142 done this year.

#14 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:15 PM

Two cycle helmet covers popped through the front door this morning (thought I'd ordered one) so I gave one of them a trial run on the Ibstock-Extended Classic Lunchtime route. I've also attached my DAB radio to my helmet using a rubber double-loop device intended for attaching torches to handlebars. Saves me having to strap on the armband, makes life a bit easier. Interferes with the helmet cover only slightly.

Anyway another 12.75, 155 this year. I'm 128 miles in front of my total on this date last year.

#15 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

Didn't go out on my bike yesterday despite dry weather so I feel duty-bound to undertake an excursion today. It's a tolerable 3 degrees out there.

#16 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Wrote a blog piece about cycling on Thursday http://www.jamesgibbon.com/cycling/

I enjoyed that!

• Slim likes this

#17 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:39 PM

Just  short excursions for me.  I do the Michael J Fox Parkinson's ride in Old Orchard Beach Maine every September.   25 miles.   It goes up to 100 miles...but not for me.  Im not that young anymore.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#18 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

Believe it or not I saw Michael J Fox in the local garden centre last weekend!

#19 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Just  short excursions for me.  I do the Michael J Fox Parkinson's ride in Old Orchard Beach Maine every September.   25 miles.   It goes up to 100 miles...but not for me.  Im not that young anymore.

I wasn't ever that young.

#20 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:47 PM

Lovely bright, sunny day if not exactly warm. I did a variation of the Belton Figure Of Eight. 15.49, 171 done this year. Should have taken the road bike, the roads are nice and dry. But I didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users