#41 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:34 AM

The best storyline in Star Wars, for my money, is still all the business with Darth Revan in Knights of the Old Republic game (which I think is still on sale for crazy-amounts-off on Steam if'n anyone's interested in delving into an excellent, ten-year-old video game set thousands of years before the Star Wars movies).

But this is a good enough movie.

• RollDeBonz likes this

#42 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:25 PM

I saw Episode 7 tonight. I saw Star Wars in 1977 when it was released but I've never been a Star Wars geek. I think as a 16 year old science fiction fan I was too old for the target demographic of pre-teen boys and too well-read in SF to be convinced by the plot or the Star Wars Universe. I enjoyed Episode 7 well enough but at no point did I feel any emotional engagement with the story or the characters. Nice CGI though.

#43 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

I think the movie really succeeded in bringing the old fans and new together. This is what the prequels should have done
  • Moving Target likes this

#44 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:41 AM

Saw it for a second time today.  I never see movies in the theater twice.  I loved it more this time.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#45 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

It had a profound effect on one of my daughters.  She was moved by Rey.  Found her inspirational.

• grep, Moving Target and stone2112 like this

#46 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

I saw it last night because the kids wanted to real bad, in 3D. Meh.

Hey...where's Perry?

#47 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

So how come Rey gets so good at Jedi stuff so fast?

Here's my idea:

Spoiler

#48 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

It's like poetry, they rhyme...  every frame there's so much going on, it's so dense... Courskant....

Oh, Prequels, why do you exist...???

• timbale likes this

#49 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:05 PM

Duh, I just realized, all on my own, that...

Spoiler

• grep and Moving Target like this

#50 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:42 PM

The story in a vacuum would be fantastic, until you realize it's really just a remake. There are about a dozen scenes or themes lifted right out of the 1977 original.

Hey...where's Perry?

#51 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

The story is a bridge. Intended to reboot interest, and make some money. There's much more to come, and I'm certain a lot of it will be different things.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#52 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

The story in a vacuum would be fantastic, until you realize it's really just a remake. There are about a dozen scenes or themes lifted right out of the 1977 original.

The story is a bridge. Intended to reboot interest, and make some money. There's much more to come, and I'm certain a lot of it will be different things.

You're both correct IMO.  The remake aspect was meant entirely to recapture the spirit of the original, which it did very well.  After a trilogy of prequels that had none of the spirit or energy of the originals and a script so bad even A-List talent couldn't make you care about the characters, the goal was to bring back the human element to the storyline, introduce a new cast of young heroes and villains, set them up with motives, and then move forward.  It also relied heavily on a little help from an old friend who did his job very well.  

They also needed to bring back that sense of high adventure that had nothing to do with how detailed the CGI effects were.  The prequels were all effect, and had no soul.  This one had a lovely organic feel, and brought back "the dirt" for which the originals were so famous.  By comparison, even the scenes on Tatooine were sterile CGI in The Phantom Menace.  Probably the biggest thing Lucas got right with the original trilogy was making science fiction look old and weathered.  Some say it was the layer of dirt on everything that made the originals so convincing.

And yes, to some degree they stuck with a successful formula to please the crowd and make a lot of money.  But it's a great formula and Abrams treated it with respect and reverence.

• Casey and grep like this

#53 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

Also sticking to the formula in a very profound way

Spoiler

#54 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:43 AM

Saw it tonight. 

Word of advice; DO NOT see it in IMAX the first time around. The warping of the screen made most scenes, especially those with ships, and lots of action, difficult to follow. 

I'm going to see it again tomorrow on a "regular" screen. I liked it, but I'll probably enjoy it more then. 

#55 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:35 PM

Saw it tonight. 

Word of advice; DO NOT see it in IMAX the first time around. The warping of the screen made most scenes, especially those with ships, and lots of action, difficult to follow. 

I'm going to see it again tomorrow on a "regular" screen. I liked it, but I'll probably enjoy it more then. 

I saw IMAX first as well.  I think if a film is made for IMAX 3D it's great.  If it's made and then converted, as The Force Awakens was, it can do exactly what you are describing.  It's a great experience, but you need a 2D showing for better detail.

Ideal viewing for this film is 2D on a large screen but with really good sound.  There are audio details in this film that you shouldn't miss, ie Ray's vision.

#56 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

About Rey's vision.... something occured to me on my second viewing the other night.

Spoiler

PS: Do we need spoiler tags any more?

#57 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:28 PM

^^^

We said expect spoilers in the title so no.

Rey's vision included Yoda and Obiwan voices.  Obiwan (Alec Guiness) calls out Rey!  They used a piece of audio from A New Hope to get the "Rey" sound.  Frank Oz newly voiced Yoda in there as did Ewan McGregor "These are your first steps" at the end of the sequence.  Pretty elaborate voice-overs for a short sequence.  A lot packed in there.  Definitely need good audio to hear all of that.  I completely missed that in the IMAX version,

• chemistry1973 likes this

#58 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

I was thinking of the initial calling when she was outside Maz's place...which then intensified when she went inside to follow it.

#59 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:04 PM

I have to see it again.  I missed so much (I was with my son).

#60 Casey

Casey

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:37 AM

Went back for round 2 after the overwhelming IMAX viewing yesterday. Muuuuuch better when you can see it all without the warping! 

It's instantly my third favorite film in the series, behind Empire and the original. 

Lots of positive things about it that I won't go into now, but I'm looking forward to the next in the franchise. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users