102 replies to this topic

#1 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

So The Force Awakens is a rehash of the first trilogy, according to reviews.  Fuck remakes, reboots, and rehashes. 

SPOILERS

Spoiler

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:57 PM

I'm reading spoilers on Reddit.   I just couldn't help myself.

But yeah what XB posted in the spoiler quote above seems to be accurate.  Don't look at it unless you want to be spoiled.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#3 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:23 PM

Can't wait!  I will take my dad and son on Sunday (the wife isn't into scifi).  I'm not reading any spoilers.  I hope with a new director that the acting is a little better than previous editions...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#4 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:01 AM

It seems to be getting really good reviews. I must admit I am very excited for this!

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:43 AM

Nerds...all of ya!

• grep, OldRUSHfan, MrSkeptic and 1 other like this

#6 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:48 AM

I'm waiting till all the fucks are back to work or school.  Jan. 4 is my awakening......No screamng babies, or annoying snotty kids/teens to fuck up the enjoyment of the film.

• baldiepete likes this

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#7 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:54 PM

I'm waiting till all the fucks are back to work or school.  Jan. 4 is my awakening......No screamng babies, or annoying snotty kids/teens to fuck up the enjoyment of the film.

No, it's too good and you don't want to hear any more spoilers or any at all.  The movie is too loud to hear anything other than it.

• stone2112 likes this

#8 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

Pulled online tickets to the 6pm show tonight, to my surprise.

Strong with the force I am.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#9 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:32 AM

I was going to wait a week or two because I hate crowds. I was also really worried about assholes spoiling the movie. I decided to go to the last screening of the night in the less desirable of our 2 main local theaters. The spoilers above are quite accurate, but it is very much a nod to what Lucas likes to do in his storytelling. It was better executed that any of the prequel movies, not that it is all that difficult. It is very much a marriage of what Lucas did well with what JJ does well. Overall I definitely enjoyed it.

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:20 AM

Wow.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#11 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

Wow.

Wow, WOW!

So that's what real acting looks like in a new Star Wars film!  Very nicely done and setup for the next adventure.

• grep and SJS like this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#12 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:18 PM

Yeah, I enjoyed that.  Much better than the prequels, better than Jedi, arguably better even than A New Hope. Interesting to see a SW film with no corny dialogue.  As soon as

Spoiler

I knew it was all over for him.

Lots of British actors, including the two young leads, the Grand Moff Tarkin reboot, and a few bounty hunter types and fighter pilots.

#13 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:33 PM

I'll wait for it to come on the Telly.
  • MrSkeptic likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#14 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:01 AM

Yeah, I enjoyed that.  Much better than the prequels, better than Jedi, arguably better even than A New Hope. Interesting to see a SW film with no corny dialogue.  As soon as

Spoiler

I knew it was all over for him.

Lots of British actors, including the two young leads, the Grand Moff Tarkin reboot, and a few bounty hunter types and fighter pilots.

I notice that Empire Strikes Back isn't up there.  That is the only one that I believe is better than this one.  Seems to be that way among the folks in our age range...

#15 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

There have been 3 times in my life when I've gone to a theater that was packed and was full of people who were there to have a good time but not be jerks about it. One was School of Rock. One was Star Wars: A New Hope when they did the re-releases prior to the prequels, and the third was today at Episode VII.

The crowd broke into spontaneous applause 4 times.

One, when the Star Wars logo came up at the start of the movie.

Two...

Spoiler

Three...

Spoiler

Four...

Spoiler

Although the script was a bit derivative, it was just what I wanted. Besides

Spoiler

I was pleased with the many little hat tips to the original trilogy, from the chess table to the Kessel Run to Akbar (or the Akbar conspecific) to the targeting display of the TIE fighters to a creature cantina scene, and so many more. (I'm not sure if there was, by contrast, a single hat tip to the prequels... also welcome.)

I thought the new characters were great. So different from the plastic characters of the prequels. Each had a motive, each had some real human dimension and emotion. Even BB8, who worried me that he would be too cute, was a worthy successor to R2D2. His way of moving, which seemed impossible in the trailer, actually seemed to make sense in the film. Nice mix of humor, action, and classic good v. evil stuff.

Given how wrong Abrams got Star Trek, I was pleased how right he got Star Wars.

• timbale and stone2112 like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#16 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:48 AM

One more thing.  I went into The Phantom Menace with sky-high hopes.  I remember after the opening sequence how worried I felt.  And frankly, the opening sequence of TPM was just about the best part of the prequels.  I think it was the cartoony nature of the battle droids.  Also, I was already a bit confused.

This is why, when my wife asked me what my favorite part of this movie was, I said the opening sequence.  That is, where Finn and Po team up to escape.  It immediately established a couple of things.  One, the characters were going to actually have motivations and a back story.  Fear is an emotion you didn't see much in the prequels, but Finn obviously was going to be a reluctant and nervous hero.  Po and Finn immediately seemed to "get" one another and to form a friendship, the kind of buddy relationship that Luke and Han formed when escaping the Death Star.  The kind of buddy relationship Obi Wan and Vader were *supposed* to have in the prequels, rather than the annoying big brother little brother petty bitching.  It was a rip-roaring opening that said that this would be a real movie, not the cartoon of the prequels.  (Or for that matter, the nonsense opening of Abrams' Star Trek.)

• Pressure/Hopenosis likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#17 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:32 AM

I'll wait for it to come on the Telly.

We'll probably go to the budget theatre but even then only after it's been there a few weeks. I like walking into a theatre and seeing 10 or less people so I can sit where I prefer vs only where I can find 2 seats together. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,176 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:28 AM

Just got out of the movie. Perfect. I agree with what everyone has said in this thread.

#19 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:58 AM

I haven't done this yet but this may be the time I see a movie in the theater more than once...

#20 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

I really enjoyed it.  The best certainly since Ep V.  Plenty of things to pick at though, of course.  How does one hide spoilers within a post?  Although I thought this was a spoiler thread.  Is it really necessary to hide them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users