#1 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts
  • LocationThe French part of Compton

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

How do you turn off updates on the Start menu? You know, whenever you go to "shut down" and it shows the icon that updates will automatically install at shutdown? I did this yesterday and the latest update had glitches so I had to go back to my settings from the day before. But it keeps wanting to update again! How do I get around this and keep it from showing up on the shutdown button so it keeps me from having any choice BUT to install it, only to uninstall it again when I turn my computer back on?!

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

Me and the Grace Under Pressure background...forever destined to be parted.

#2 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

How do you turn off updates on the Start menu? You know, whenever you go to "shut down" and it shows the icon that updates will automatically install at shutdown? I did this yesterday and the latest update had glitches so I had to go back to my settings from the day before. But it keeps wanting to update again! How do I get around this and keep it from showing up on the shutdown button so it keeps me from having any choice BUT to install it, only to uninstall it again when I turn my computer back on?!

You really need to keep up with the updates.  It's the only safe way.  As for removing this, you'd have to go into Control Panel under the "System" icon and turn off automatic updates

#3 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Well, the reason why I'm asking is because I did these updates, and this showed up on my desktop. I went back to an earlier date (the day before) and it disappeared, only for the automatic updates to show AGAIN. So I downloaded them, AGAIN, only for this shit to show up, AGAIN. What is it, why is it doing this, and HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT?!

My copy of Windows came with the computer, so how the fuck can it not be "genuine"?!?!?!?!?!?!

Attached File  genuine.JPG   14.14K   1 downloads

"The best response to those who wound me is to get away from themand wish them well." —Neil Peart

~"Feeling lonely and content at the same time, I believe, is a rare kind of happiness" —Nightwish~

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

(Ahem...I know Rush has songs in 4/4, but I did not make this meme. I just think it's funny. So please stop pointing this out to me! Thanks.)

#4 Peter Griffin

Peter Griffin

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:04 PM

This article is from May 2014, but may be helpful...

http://www.cnet.com/...ix-this-619798/

#5 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I have read all the articles and the whole SLGR-REARM thing doesn't work for me.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

Well, the reason why I'm asking is because I did these updates, and this showed up on my desktop. I went back to an earlier date (the day before) and it disappeared, only for the automatic updates to show AGAIN. So I downloaded them, AGAIN, only for this shit to show up, AGAIN. What is it, why is it doing this, and HOW CAN I GET RID OF IT?!

My copy of Windows came with the computer, so how the fuck can it not be "genuine"?!?!?!?!?!?!

attachicon.gifgenuine.JPG

Oh, that's a bigger deal.  You're going to need your license key number very soon.  Hopefully it's on a sticker on the machine.  Eventually it will tell you that you need to enter it.

#7 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:22 PM

I got this laptop 4 years ago. I have no idea where or how I would fix this. I don't see anything prompting me to enter the number, or where to give the info.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#8 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:36 AM

Just to confirm, you tried Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Change Settings?  You should be able to tell it to check for updates but ask you whether to download and install, or tell it not to check for updates at all.  

Have you changed your hardware at all?  New RAM, new hard drive, etc.?  

If none of that works then wondering if it's a malware/virus.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#9 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

No, I haven't installed anything new lately. I just did the update and this is the message I got.

However, what I did do is restore to an earlier point and change the settings to allow me to pick and choose whether I want to install any new updates. That's the best I can do for now, until I can figure out exactly what the problem is and how to remedy it so I can reinstall the updates. So far everything looks fine now. My web browser does not appear to be lagging and taking forever to load either, like it has been over the last day since I installed these updates.

Considering that the only thing I did within the last 48 hours was have these updates installed, and this system restore put me back to the way things were before, I am going to guess that there is something wrong with the updates themselves, since I have not installed anything else in that time.

I tried scanning for malware, but my program wants me to pay to "upgrade". Any suggestions for a good FREE program that doesn't just work for a week or two before charging you to use it?

I also have a very good virus program; anything that looks the least bit suspicious, I get an alert right away. So I don't know if it would be a virus. Wouldn't be surprised, though, considering that anytime I run across these sorts of problems, the fixes that work for 99% of the population never works for me.

Though I do have to wonder: over the last week or so, my computer kept forcing this Windows 10 update on me until I finally had to go to the Control Panel and change the settings to make it stop automatically trying to upgrade every time I turned the damn thing on. I can't help but wonder if these glitchy updates are Microsoft's way of forcing everyone to jump to WIndows 10 whether they want it or not?

Thanks everyone, for the helpful advice. I'll keep you posted if there are any more problems, but let's keep our fingers crossed that in-between now and the next round of Windows updates, I'll figure out which one is causing the problem and avoid it so I can update the other ones that are necessary. Or that I get a new laptop for Christmas that has Windows 10 already so I can put this one to pasture. Whichever.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#10 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 14 December 2015 - 04:28 PM

If you've had windows reinstalled since you got the laptop, it's possible whoever did the reinstall didn't use the proper windows disc/media or product key.  Often there's a windows sticker on the bottom of the laptop (possibly under the battery) or back of the computer.  It will have the product key needed when/if windows prompt for activation, which appears inevitable.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#11 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:24 AM

Yeah, the guy who installed my new hard drive must not have used a legit copy of Windows. I still have the activation key from my previous hard drive, but I don't know if that will work.

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:52 AM

Yeah, the guy who installed my new hard drive must not have used a legit copy of Windows. I still have the activation key from my previous hard drive, but I don't know if that will work.

Give it a try.

falconext.png

#13 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 23 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

1 - never let M$ux (or any other program, really) do anything 'automatically' unless you want to be on the front lines for buggy updates. These automatics also eat up ram/cpu cycles while in 'wait to fuck you over with bullshit updates' mode.

2 - Windows and other program updates should be done manually, that way you can pick and choose the updates you need/want and also avoid the added bs of 3rd party vendors adding 'extras' into a program update.

3 - you can run forever with that nag, AFAIK - I've had/seen machines run months/years with that 'not genuine' message. It's just a nag; it doesn't limit functionality in any way except for getting some official M$ux updates from the site.

4 - in my experiences, and I am a tech by trade, Cisco Certified, blah-blah, unless you consistently visit shady domains and d/l questionable content (not the web-comic of the same name that is awesome), all you really need for protection are M$ux Security Essentials and Antimalwarebytes running concurrently; both are free. They detect & protect against 99% of anything I've ever run across (and I d/l a bunch of QC). 

#14 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

Also, I use chrome with AdBlockPlus, which blocks a lot of BS, so there's that... :)

#15 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:31 PM

Malware Bytes

Spybot S&D

I've been using them for years. Free.....

I tried scanning for malware, but my program wants me to pay to "upgrade". Any suggestions for a good FREE program that doesn't just work for a week or two before charging you to use it?

falconext.png

#16 C...

C...

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I have Chrome with Ad-Block Plus too. And I have fixed my settings to only install updates manually, of my own choosing.

Goddammit, I have Malwarebytes on my computer already, and it keeps telling me "your free trial is over".

osanasmall.jpg

SC_banner_new.jpg

Alex_meme.jpg

#17 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:17 PM

Goddammit, I have Malwarebytes on my computer already, and it keeps telling me "your free trial is over".

There's a way to get it back to the free version so it stops nagging you.

http://techdows.com/...from-trial.html

• Open Malwarebytes, and on the Dashboard, click on ‘End Free Trial’ link which, then will be instantly converted to the free version.

MBAM-2-trial_thumb.png

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users