#1 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall, UK

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:10 PM

Have a look at this young lady.  You have to look higher than her legs, though.  She gets a classic Music Man tone.

I've been studying this piece (shut it, pervs!) because it helps with my understanding of the chords in a major key.

But A flat is a weird key, it's all blummin' black notes! - and my old hands won't go as fast as hers in the arpeggios at the bridge at 2.05.  It's tricky to get the funk timing though - it sounds like rock when i play it......

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#2 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:22 PM

Holy small hands!

She plays it nice.

MT, the song isn't that difficult to play at all.

It just takes practice. I know that sounds cliche but that is the deal.

Break it into sections, learn it by ear..HEAR it. Listen to the song until you can vocalize the bass part right along with it when you listen.

Then transfer that to your fingers, take several deep breaths and have patience.

If that (really cute) tiny little girl with hands built for a short scale bass can NAIL it on a a MM Stingray (and that neck is no twig either), you should be able to as well.

Now, get to the woodshed and start drilling on it.

• OldRUSHfan and ghostworks like this
<p><br>

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:19 PM

Nice! She has a Facebook page at https://www.facebook...ppinHkBassGirl/

That one's a few years old, her playing is much improved now.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

Noticed that her bass is a Sterling, which - I've just read - is MusicMan's budget line, a bit like Fender's Squier.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:17 AM

One year later, quite a bit improved.

Stoopid does not approve of this thread.

• Greg and OldRUSHfan like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:25 AM

"I Want You Back" is one of James Jamerson's finest work (Also possibly confirmed to be Wilton Felder's work).  Either way, it's a driving line and yes, it's got some funk but it doesn't go overboard.  I think you've got to just get comfortable with it Rob.  You're giving equal value to all the notes, likely, hence the "rock feel" you seem to indicate it has.  The best thing to do is to is when those licks turn around, you're slurring the 2 and 3 and nailing the 1 and 4, and not by a lot, these are microbeats, kind of like how John Bonham made Led Zep swing.  Will take some time.  Definitely one of my favorite bass lines of all time.

As a former bandmate once told me, when I was trying to play like Flea in the height of the 90s slapping era, "You can fake funk, you can't fake the blues"

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#7 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:02 PM

Don't forget this one....Jamerson KILLS IT on this track. Great groove.......

<p><br>

#8 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:06 PM

MT.....

• Moving Target likes this
<p><br>

#9 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

Holy small hands!

She plays it nice.

MT, the song isn't that difficult to play at all.

It just takes practice. I know that sounds cliche but that is the deal.

If that (really cute) tiny little girl with hands built for a short scale bass can NAIL it on a a MM Stingray (and that neck is no twig either), you should be able to as well.

She's got a Ray34 Sterling which has a thinner neck like a Jazz - the StingRay neck is the real log.  I nearly bought one but found it heavy. The Sterling has a similar voice if a bit less projection.  I had a choice of that and a top-line active Fender Jazz and chose the MM.  I regret that decision to this day.  I was in a band with two guitarists and wanted the dual-circuit pickup to cut through the roar.  Should have gone with my gut instinct......

I find the bassline quite playable except those four bars in the bridge.  As you say it's just a question of playing it slowly to get the physical memory then gradually speeding up. Sis-in-law has challenged me to learn it for her open-mic night.

Noticed that her bass is a Sterling, which - I've just read - is MusicMan's budget line, a bit like Fender's Squier.

My Sterling is as dear as a StingRay.  

She has the Ray34 budget version, if I read the headstock correctly.  

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:31 PM

"I Want You Back" is one of James Jamerson's finest work (Also possibly confirmed to be Wilton Felder's work).  Either way, it's a driving line and yes, it's got some funk but it doesn't go overboard.  I think you've got to just get comfortable with it Rob.  You're giving equal value to all the notes, likely, hence the "rock feel" you seem to indicate it has.  The best thing to do is to is when those licks turn around, you're slurring the 2 and 3 and nailing the 1 and 4, and not by a lot, these are microbeats, kind of like how John Bonham made Led Zep swing.  Will take some time.  Definitely one of my favorite bass lines of all time.

As a former bandmate once told me, when I was trying to play like Flea in the height of the 90s slapping era, "You can fake funk, you can't fake the blues"

Sure. To me it's not something I count count, so much as something I feel.  Helps to have a beer, close my eyes and dance a bit while playing. 

Slapping - for me - is more in the fretting hand than the striking hand, with lots of four-finger muting to get the dead notes.

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

MT.....

Check Jamerson's ultra-dead flatwounds!

#12 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:31 PM

She's got a Ray34 Sterling which has a thinner neck like a Jazz - the StingRay neck is the real log.  I nearly bought one but found it heavy. The Sterling has a similar voice if a bit less projection.  I had a choice of that and a top-line active Fender Jazz and chose the MM.  I regret that decision to this day.  I was in a band with two guitarists and wanted the dual-circuit pickup to cut through the roar.  Should have gone with my gut instinct......

I find the bassline quite playable except those four bars in the bridge.  As you say it's just a question of playing it slowly to get the physical memory then gradually speeding up. Sis-in-law has challenged me to learn it for her open-mic night.

My Sterling is as dear as a StingRay.  

She has the Ray34 budget version, if I read the headstock correctly.  

Yeah, I noticed that it was a Sterling after the fact.... :huh:

I had a Music Man Sabre Bass (two pickups, active electronics) back in the mid 80's....cool bass but it was too thin sounding. It was great for slap playing but not rock.

The neck was a bit bowed beyond reasonable repair so I replaced it with a replacement P-Bass neck, played it for another year and sold it.

I kept the original neck and still have it.

Work that song up and video your open-mic night jam for us... :)

<p><br>

#13 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:34 PM

Check Jamerson's ultra-dead flatwounds!

Should be a signature set.....

James Jamerson

Ultra-Dead Flatwounds

Thud and mud.

Works great for the tune though when it's in the mix....

<p><br>

#14 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,565 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

Should be a signature set.....

James Jamerson

Ultra-Dead Flatwounds

Thud and mud.

Works great for the tune though when it's in the mix....

Look at it this way, if you listen to the gal's version at the top of this thread you'll hear the crisp roundwound's finger noise.  Those stretches will always give you some of that slide.  Those studio guys had to play clean and tight.  That's how they got the gigs.  Dead strings ruled.

• Moving Target and ghostworks like this

#15 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:12 AM

I haven't changed the strings on my Fender in 11 years, the Harmony in 10 years, and the Silvertone is rocking 8 year old tapewounds

this completely works for me :)

#16 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:33 AM

I watched a video of MJ singing this live in 1998.  He'd moved it from Ab up to Eb.  Or perhaps down to Eb.  Guy's voice was weird - sang in that falsetto, but often spoke in a baritone.

Playing this tune has made me realise that my third and fourth fretting fingers have got weak.  You need all four for this one.  Have to do some exercises to build them back up.

#17 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

Playing this tune has made me realise that my third and fourth fretting fingers have got weak.  You need all four for this one.  Have to do some exercises to build them back up.

Warm up with YYZ and then Xanadu.

Fingers should be OK.

:lol:

<p><br>

#18 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Warm up with YYZ and then Xanadu.

Fingers should be OK.

:lol:

It must be at least a decade since I played along to a Rush tune, maybe longer.

Never bothered to try to learn YYZ - not a track I much like.  Though it's one Mrs MT can stand to listen to, due to the lack of Geddy singing.  She likes LVS, TMMB and MalNar for the same reason.

Curiously I found Xanadu a lot easier that IWYB, though I learned it 30 years ago when my hands were more supple!  Xanadu is the absolute signature Rush song, for me.

I just need some chromatic exercises to get the muscle tone back.

#19 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,809 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:18 PM

Xanadu is the absolute signature Rush song, for me.

Then you'll like the play-along vid that I will be doing of that track sometime soon.... :)

<p><br>

#20 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Then you'll like the play-along vid that I will be doing of that track sometime soon.... :)

Slim will comment on your "scale practising."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users