Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:56 PM

Says so here

"America getting football is what clubs in Europe have been dreaming about for decades," Bennett said.

"This is the final frontier and it is a fight for bandwidth."

Much like marriages, partners in double acts know when to jump in with a helpful explanation.

"There have been fans here for years," said Davies, a south Londoner who came to the States 25 years ago to play tennis but became a smash hit at producing TV shows and is now the Ernie Wise of US sports broadcasting's funniest duo.

"But many fans here are just falling in love with it now. That means they don't necessarily think Man Utd and Liverpool are that good. They might prefer Southampton or Crystal Palace or Bournemouth. It's a free-for-all!"

There are now 60 million American adults who have seen at least one game of professional club soccer from somewhere in the world on TV.

"Football has had its ups and downs here but it really does seem to be on the rise and it's very encouraging, very pleasing and very exciting," Scudamore told me before his Q&A.

"Already the audiences here are averaging what you'd get in UK for a Sky or BT game.

"Of course, it's a bigger country. But in terms of unique adults, we had about 32 million Americans watch a game last season, compared with 14-15 million in the UK.

"So our audiences are big and growing. The day more people will be watching live here than in the UK will happen."

#2 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

Rugby or Soccer...???

Soccer is boring. At least Rugby is more entertaining at times....

People here say that baseball is boring....maybe so to some, but soccer is equally as boring.

I'll watch the highlights along with the rest of them on Sportscenter.... if I'm awake.

#3 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

db_Girls-Playing-4-Pink-05661_zpsmm1dmvx

#4 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

America isn't racist enough for the Premier League....

In America, most homosexuals don't play soccer...

The best American flopper is Lebron, and he plays basketball...

I think of some more later.😝

I just can't get into regular season soccer. It's played at such a boring pace, and teams are happy kicking it around for a 0-0 draw. It's the perfect thing to have on in the background, and then rewind it if you miss an actual score.

Hey...where's Perry?

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

I just can't get into regular season soccer. It's played at such a boring pace, and teams are happy kicking it around for a 0-0 draw. It's the perfect thing to have on in the background, and then rewind it if you miss an actual score.

Depends on the tactical situation.  If you are aware from home, 0-0 is a decent result.  Or if you have to avoid losing on the last day, to win the Premiership. 

You get 6-0 drubbings as well, though.

The American market is going to be huge, though the Far East market is even huger.

#6 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

In America, most homosexuals don't play soccer...

Nor in Yurp. In the UK the only ever gay soccerball player - Graeme le Saux - was straight.

Rugger's the game for buggers :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:46 AM

I often watch at least part of a match on Saturday mornings.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

Nor in Yurp. In the UK the only ever gay soccerball player - Graeme le Saux - was straight.

Rugger's the game for buggers :)

He wasn't gay, he just read The Guardian in the changing room.

#9 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

My brother's a diehard Man City fan.
I like the QPR, because I love me an underdog. And a laugh.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#10 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

I like the QPR, because I love me an underdog. And a laugh.

Grrr. :angry:   Brentford man, me.  West London rivalry.   

Mind you, Rangers did well to stay in the Premiership for a few seasons.  Got to give them credit for that.

#11 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 18 April 2016 - 12:47 AM

NBC and their cable sports channel have been showing the BPL games live on the weekends, And I've been watching them the last few weeks. Sunday mornings are fun with the 4 hour time difference-take Rocky to the dog park, get home, crank on the television, and catch a couple games with breakfast.

Jeez, LC loses Jamie Vardy to a red card, then the lead to WHU, but get the tie in stoppage time. Anybody have the vision to put a couple quid on Leicester at the start of season? Bet they're laughing their asses off at 5000-1.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#12 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 09:52 PM

Jeez, LC loses Jamie Vardy to a red card, then the lead to WHU, but get the tie in stoppage time. Anybody have the vision to put a couple quid on Leicester at the start of season? Bet they're laughing their asses off at 5000-1.

TIE

TIE

TIE

It's a bloody DRAW

You can have a tie in cricket, but not Soccerball. I dare say a few foxes fans may have put a bit of dosh on them to win.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 11:36 PM

Yes, though a few have them have already cashed in (the bookies bought back their bets). One lucky git made £72,335.

http://www.leicester...tail/story.html

Leicester is the local team round these parts, unless you count Coalville FC.

I don't know if anyone's still hanging onto their bet, but if so he or she won't be laughing in a few weeks time when Spurs take the title. I really hope not but that's the way it looks to me at the moment. They have an easier last four games, they have the form and they have the momentum.

#14 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 05:09 AM

NBC and their cable sports channel have been showing the BPL games live on the weekends, And I've been watching them the last few weeks. Sunday mornings are fun with the 4 hour time difference-take Rocky to the dog park, get home, crank on the television, and catch a couple games with breakfast.

A tie is a fixture in one of the knockout tournaments.  A draw is a result where both teams score the same number of goals, or no goals.

There is no BPL.  There is the EPL and the SPL.

#15 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

SPL = seppo poofter league ? aka NFL

• Slim likes this

#16 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

• Moving Target likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#17 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hey...where's Perry?

#18 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:53 AM

Hey...where's Perry?

#19 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Hey...where's Perry?

#20 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:21 PM

So about soccer flopping, forgive my ignorance of the sport, but are there penalties for embellishment? If they exist, are they used in practice? Is there any replay review used by officials or coach challenges in the Premier League, other leagues or international competition? If so, can they use them to penalize for diving or other theatrics?

Video review & challenges are becoming more prevalent in the States with the four major sports – in some cases it’s useful, maddening in others.

I find soccer dives wildly entertaining, but if you start handing out yellow/red cards for ridiculousness, perhaps it will go away. Or do you fans of the sport even give a crap? Perhaps it has no significant outcome of the match and is simply part of the game?

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users