Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

any suggestions? 

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#2 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

What type of security?  Having a passcode to open/use it helps.  Enabling remote wipe capabilities is another plus.  There's a few free antivirus available, I use AVG.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#3 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:40 PM

Chain a rabid rottweiler to it

#4 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,145 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:53 PM

What type of security?  Having a passcode to open/use it helps.  Enabling remote wipe capabilities is another plus.  There's a few free antivirus available, I use AVG.

Yes, encryption, complex password (greater than 8 characters, use combo of numeric/alpha/capitalization/special symbols), Nuke option (wipes device after 10 unsuccessful password attempts), free antivirus.  Beyond that, don't click a lot of clickbait if you can avoid.

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:42 PM

if you have sensitive files, there are 'vault' applications which will encrypt them safely.

#6 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

sure i have a PW but haven't heard of remote wipe capabilities.

Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

#7 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:48 PM

Yes, encryption, complex password (greater than 8 characters, use combo of numeric/alpha/capitalization/special symbols), Nuke option (wipes device after 10 unsuccessful password attempts), free antivirus.  Beyond that, don't click a lot of clickbait if you can avoid.

i avoid most clickbait. i ill look up the nuke option :)

#8 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

if you have sensitive files, there are 'vault' applications which will encrypt them safely.

well i really don't have anything sensitive, but valuable to me, like my flags project and also my family photos. but now i want to look up these apps out of curiosity. i really am not familiar with all these apps available and i know i'm missing out.

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

Well there are two types of security broadly speaking, one involving making sure your data persists, and the other involving keeping it secret. Obviously the vault apps will only helpw with the latter.

#10 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:23 PM

well,  right, and i'm interested in both, but i'm not carrying top-security level stuff...i simply don't want anyone snooping. but the "data persists" part is the biggie. I know there's free apps but is there one that includes both that you mention, slim, or are the better choices coming from different apps?

#11 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:56 PM

I don't keep anything important on a phone or tablet but the best approach to making sure your data survives is to take backups - just hook your tablet up to a PC - the tablet should show up as an external drive, and you can copy your files from it. There are also apps that can back up your files to cloud storage, and some cloud storage providers give you a few gigabytes for free. Dropbox provides 16GB for free users for example.

For snooping prevention I used this one for a while:

https://play.google....id.sse&hl=en_GB

It encrypts your files so there's no way they can be restored without the pass phrase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users