#1 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

SCIENTISTS claim we are in for a decade-long freeze as the sun slows down solar activity by up to 60 per cent.

A team of European researchers have unveiled a scientific model showing that the Earth is likely to experience a “mini ice age” from 2030 to 2040 as a result of decreased solar activity.

Their findings will infuriate environmental campaigners who argue by 2030 we could be facing increased sea levels and flooding due to glacial melt at the poles.

However, at the National Astronomy Meeting in Wales, Northumbria University professor Valentina Zharkova said fluctuations an 11-year cycle of solar activity the sun goes through would be responsible for a freeze, the like of which has not been experienced since the 1600s.

From 1645 to 1715 global temperatures dropped due to low solar activity so much that the planet experienced a 70-year ice age known as Maunder Minimum which saw the River Thames in London completely frozen.

The researchers have now developed a "double dynamo "model that can better predict when the next freeze will be.

Based on current cycles, they predict solar activity dwindling for ten years from 2030.

Professor Zharkova said two magnetic waves will cancel each other out in about 2030, leading to a drop in sun spots and solar flares of about 60 per cent.

Sunspots are dark concentrations of magnetic field flux on the surface that reduce surface temperature in that area, while solar flares are burst of radiation and solar energy that fire out across the solar system, but the Earth's atmosphere protects us from the otherwise devastating effects.

She said: "In cycle 26, the two waves exactly mirror each other, peaking at the same time but in opposite hemispheres of the Sun. 

"We predict that this will lead to the properties of a ‘Maunder minimum.

“Over the cycle, the waves fluctuate between the Sun’s northern and southern hemispheres. Combining both waves together and comparing to real data for the current solar cycle, we found that our predictions showed an accuracy of 97 per cent."

Research colleagues Simon Shepherd of Bradford University, Helen Popova of Lomonosov Moscow State University and Sergei Zarkhov of the University of Hull used magnetic field observations from 1976 to 2008 at the Wilcox Solar Observatory at Stanford University.

A Royal Astronomical Society spokesman said: "It is 172 years since a scientist first spotted that the Sun’s activity varies over a cycle lasting around 10 to 12 years.

"But every cycle is a little different and none of the models of causes to date have fully explained fluctuations."

The “double dynamo” theory appears to support claims of researchers who argue Earth will soon experience major global cooling due to lower solar activity as the sun goes into a sustained period of hibernation.

Environmentalists meanwhile claim global temperatures will increase over the period unless we drastically reduce carbon emissions.

http://www.express.c...-sun-hibernates

#2 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,444 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:06 AM

Decade long Ice Age?
That's just a cold snap!!!!
  • fenderjazz and OldRUSHfan like this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:47 AM

Decade long Ice Age?
That's just a cold snap!!!!

Shit, when it's hot for a week anywhere all of the Global Warming  Climate Change agitators start crawling out of the woodwork, and as soon as it gets cold...............

gone and not to be heard from until the next warm breeze......

#4 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

I see it clearly now, it's Obama's fault.

So we have two different influences on the climate, the sun's activity and greenhouse gas concentration in the atmosphere. It seems now that there is a new model for sun activity, which of course has to show it's accuracy, this could be included in the other climate models.

And what happens 2040 when the sun activity increases again ? If greenhouse gas concentrations haven't dropped (lower temperatures mean more fossil fuels for heating) the problem will be the same only delayed.

And why do you believe one fraction of scientists (sun cycles) and not the other (climate change) ?

WinterIsComingNedShovel.png

• OldRUSHfan, Moving Target and fast eddie like this

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

Good for the Sun.  We've increased the mean temperature enough already.  Might give us a breathing space.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#6 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:12 PM

The sun is pretty indifferent to it all anyway. It's just hanging there in space, glowing, a huge pinprick of light in the darkness.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#7 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

And why do you believe one fraction of scientists (sun cycles) and not the other (climate change) ?

You know the answer.

It's his old friend Confirmation R. Bias.

• Casey and OldRUSHfan like this

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Where do we start.

I'm a libertarian and a conservative too (on some issues).  You should listen to me!

A 10 year "ice age" will have no impact on the fact that earth has been warming for a very long time, (1,000s of years) and it's accelerated by free carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Humans, cattle, internal combustion engines, coal burning, wood burning, etc create lots of CO2.  Look at the rise and industrialization of countries like China and India.  Big changes.  No surprise.  Look at the size of the polar ice over the years.  Look at the anecdotal information that I remember Halloween as a child with bare trees.  They have leaves on them now!

Newspapers and politicians do not know anything.  Neither does our POTUS or even Al Gore.  Scientists do however.  You'll see every outlier study reported by people who agree with it as part of their world view.  It doesn't change facts.

Do you watch The Big Bang Theory?  Seriously   Do you see how Sheldon and Leonard are making discoveries and having them quickly disproved by other scientists?  That's what scientists do.  They take theories people make, and they try to disprove them.  It's how they become successful.  So can you imagine how many scientists have tried to disprove climate change?  Nothing has disproven the theory.  Hemi and others, you have to get over this F A C T.  It's over.

• OldRUSHfan and A Rebel and a Runner like this

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

Yup. Look at the oldest / longest temperature record in the world... That from London.(I forget what it's called) Not only does it show that last minimum period, it shows that temperatures have risen far above the max Temps, pre minimum. Especially in the last 50 years.

And I think the correlating sunspot activity, last 50 years doesn't justify the warming.

Now.... 500 years or so may be a small sample set. But maybe not.
  • OldRUSHfan likes this

#10 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,657 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

The other thing to remember is the impact of statistical noise.
If you zoom into a graph far enough, you can find just about any variation over a given period of time. But the most important trend line is the one where you zoom ALL the way out, blur the line, and see the big picture.

The big picture with regards to temperatures is pretty clear. Over the span of a year or ten, there might be minor cooling trends to reduce or temporarily reverse the effect. That doesn't mean the effect isn't there, or that it's done a complete about-face.

This isn't a political issue in any other country. What to DO about it is, but the actual science isn't in dispute.

I've  mentioned before, if he'd gotten past primary season, I would have voted Jon Huntsman back in 2012. He was a smart guy who disagreed with me on a few things. Even what we should do about climate change. But, importantly, he didn't believe it wasn't happening (which may have hurt him, versus all of his Republican contenders, and that's sad).

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

I suspect that any repubs that doubt it publicly only do so because corporations and big business.

Privately, most of them are very smart and educated people.  I bet they have no doubts seeing the same evidence we do... and maybe some we don't.   Just a hunch.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#12 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

This is what happens when you get your science news from politicians (and Fox).

Doomed to fail.

Nowhere else in the world is there a debate on climate change.  It's a fact that every country that's worth a shit accepts.  The dolts in America who can't see this are Obamahaters.  

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#13 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:02 PM

Doomed to fail.

Nowhere else in the world is there a debate on climate change.  It's a fact that every country that's worth a shit accepts.  The dolts in America who can't see this are Obamahaters.  

I think it's just part of the political wedge each side uses to drive against the other.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#14 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:04 PM

Doomed to fail.

The dolts in America who can't see this are Obamahaters.

http://www.express.c...2435/Jon-Austin

Not a politician and not employed by FOX.

FAIL

And, Obamahaters..... haters! Waaahhhh!

Go vote for Hillary already.

Do you drive in a VW Bug with a flower in the cup holder too?

#15 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:14 PM

Police thought colleagues murdered me but I was 'abducted by aliens and fought my way out'

is Jon's top story on that page at the moment.

The Express was a great newspaper 30 years ago when it was a broadsheet. It's gone a bit downmarket and sensationalist I'm afraid.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#16 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

Police thought colleagues murdered me but I was 'abducted by aliens and fought my way out'

is Jon's top story on that page at the moment.

The Express was a great newspaper 30 years ago when it was a broadsheet. It's gone a bit downmarket and sensationalist I'm afraid.

Hear this, Hemi?  I've known this for many years....why haven't you heard this?  Just sain'.....  :shrug:

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."