#61 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

Hmm...

Yes, very true apparently.  Something I found out as well.  I always thought calories in/calories out was the best way.  The problem with exercise is that exercising on a low calorie regime can really put your body into starvation mode.  Your body will just make itself more efficient with less calories and it will reduce the number of calories you can add when you get into maintenance mode.  This is why people gain weight after dieting often.  You have to raise your metabolic rate up as you enter maintenance.  Nobody wants to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life.  You want to live at 2500-3000 calories if you can.  More on some days when you go out.

Yes, exercise is good for you.  It improves your endurance and cardiovascular system but use only low/moderate exercise while dieting.  Don't raise your exercise to new heights while on a low calorie regime.  Do that in maintenance mode.

#62 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 12:24 AM

Check out 7:00 to 10:00.  :blink:

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#63 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:34 PM

Yes, very true apparently.  Something I found out as well.  I always thought calories in/calories out was the best way.  The problem with exercise is that exercising on a low calorie regime can really put your body into starvation mode.  Your body will just make itself more efficient with less calories and it will reduce the number of calories you can add when you get into maintenance mode.  This is why people gain weight after dieting often.  You have to raise your metabolic rate up as you enter maintenance.  Nobody wants to live on 1200 calories for the rest of your life.  You want to live at 2500-3000 calories if you can.  More on some days when you go out.

Yes, exercise is good for you.  It improves your endurance and cardiovascular system but use only low/moderate exercise while dieting.  Don't raise your exercise to new heights while on a low calorie regime.  Do that in maintenance mode.

So is there anything that one can to to 're calibrate' the body out of that starvation mode once in maintenance?

Since losing 47 lbs, I've gained 13 lbs in about 18 months after having to cut back on frequency and intensity of exercise due to a major life change (moving in with girlfriend and kids),  which i know contributed to the gain. However I feel Ive plateaued and would like to lose 7-10 lbs that I gained. Ive returned to eating better (not that i went way off the rails) and have gotten back to a more regular schedule of working out, tho not doing the HIIT workouts or 90 min biking when not doing HIIT. Doing PHA workouts or 30-40 mins of biking now.

#64 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 08:57 PM

So is there anything that one can to to 're calibrate' the body out of that starvation mode once in maintenance?

Since losing 47 lbs, I've gained 13 lbs in about 18 months after having to cut back on frequency and intensity of exercise due to a major life change (moving in with girlfriend and kids),  which i know contributed to the gain. However I feel Ive plateaued and would like to lose 7-10 lbs that I gained. Ive returned to eating better (not that i went way off the rails) and have gotten back to a more regular schedule of working out, tho not doing the HIIT workouts or 90 min biking when not doing HIIT. Doing PHA workouts or 30-40 mins of biking now.

You're going to have to either cut calories or add some more HIIT workouts back in to rapidly lose the weight.  Then again you might do fine with the adjustments you just have made.  Monitor yourself now with what you have done since returning to eating better.  Are you losing 1lb every 2 weeks? or gaining 1lb?  It's a precise science, about 100 calories actually between losing/gaining/staying the same.  Just get back to measuring everything again for a while.  That might help.

#65 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 10:18 PM

I've been recovering from a knee injury and have done relatively little cycling over the last two months (183 miles since 17th May, compared to 1038 in the same period last year).

I also went on holiday last week, consumed mostly restaurant food and drank a fair quantity of beer in the hot weather. Consequently I approached my scales this evening with a degree of trepidation. I'm at 173 pounds, which actually is the weight I was trying to get back down to after Christmas (as I commented in this post).

However I'd got kind of used to being at ~167 pounds and I seemed to be pretty stable at around that figure without trying too hard, so that's where I hope to return soon. Hopefully a period of alcohol abstinence, digestive biscuit discipline and an increase in cycling activity now that I'm getting better will do the trick.

#66 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:54 PM

^^^

Keep up the good work Slim!

As for me, I'm kind of in maintenance mode now.  I'm enjoying life now by taking cheat meals, days, vacations but find myself getting back on my food and exercise plan easy.  I think this is how I will maintain.  I will keep my daily intake low, my regular exercise high, and take special days to just let loose a bit and enjoy my life.  This was impossible for me prior.  I did not have the ability to get back on program after a binge or treat.  The binge or treat just carried on, and on and on, with much delay until I could get back on.  Then it was too late.  My exercise is basically 5 days of high intensity interval training (HIIT) along with increased activity and some strength training.  I've also accepted the fact that I'm no good at sports, never have been, and my best "sport" is going to the gym.

#67 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

I was also rubbish at sports at school to be honest. Despite having a fairly wiry build I was always near the back on the school long distance run and nowhere near winning anything on school sports day. I wasn't athletic at all.

And I'm pretty much the same now. Although I've built up good muscle strength, stamina and fitness from cycling, I'm not one of these people who can maintain 18+ mph over 30 miles. I can cycle long distances (possibly not at the moment, I need to build my strength and fitness back up again gradually) but I don't propel myself at improbable speeds and I have no interest in racing, or beating the clock. I'd struggle to keep up with Nick on one of his rides.

#68 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

No matter what I do, I can’t seem to drop weight these days. In 2014 it fell off me - I was cycling, walking a lot around the Prison and using the weights room, drinking smoothies and my weight dropped to 190 pounds in short order.

Now I can’t seem to drop below 210 pounds.

Could be advancing age. Testosterone production falling off, hard to shift belly fat......

#69 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:42 PM

No matter what I do, I can’t seem to drop weight these days. In 2014 it fell off me - I was cycling, walking a lot around the Prison and using the weights room, drinking smoothies and my weight dropped to 190 pounds in short order.

Now I can’t seem to drop below 210 pounds.

Could be advancing age. Testosterone production falling off, hard to shift belly fat......

The best thing is to move to HIIT workouts and intermittent fasting.  Both kind of shock a finicky and jaded metabolism in ways other things just don't.  You've got to confuse your liver basically.  To do this, try a cycle like this:

Friday - Have a HIIT Workout.  Eat low carb/low calorie most of day.  At night have a few beers, eat whatever you want

Saturday - Have a short HIIT Workout.  Lift weights.  Eat low carb/low calorie most of day.  At night have a few beers, light dinner

Sunday - Have brunch.  Eat low carb/low calorie rest of day.  Rest day for exercise

Monday - Fast.  No breakfast, no lunch, lots of water.  Eat a low carb/low calorie dinner.  Have a HIIT workout when you can

Tuesday - Eat a low carb/low calorie breakfast and lunch.  Fast the rest of the day.  Have a HIIT workout when you can

Wednesday - Eat low carb/low calorie all day.  Have a short HIIT workout and lift weights

Thursday - Eat low carb/low calorie breakfast and lunch, Fast rest of day.  Have a straight cardio workout.  Lift weights if you feel strong enough.

HIIT Workout = Cardio but with specific pattern:  5 minute warmup, 35 minutes with 30 seconds maximum effort, 1 minute low effort, repeat, 5 minute cooldown

Straight Cardio Workout = 50 minutes at 65%

Weight Lifting = What exhausts you at 7-8 reps.  90 seconds rest between sets

Fast = no food, but unlimited water (lots of it!) and calorie-free beverages (coffee black, diet soda)  You can have a bullet proof coffee in the morning if you need it though.  If you must consume food, make it fat only (sugar free peanut butter is ok though, but keep it to butter, oils if you can)

Low Carb/Low Calorie = Meal not to exceed 400 calories, veg, meat only

#70 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 20 July 2018 - 06:57 AM

^^ makes sense. Short weightlifting sessions seemed to work before.

#71 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 01:11 PM

^^ makes sense. Short weightlifting sessions seemed to work before.

The problem with weightlifting though vs HIIT is that you really need to get your large muscle groups working.  Better to do cardio for the HIIT part.  I use an elliptical for a lot of that because I don't hurt my body that way.  I put the resistance at a level where I can maintain 150 strides per minute at around 120 heart rate.  I push to 250+ strides per minute during the 30 second "all-on" part and then rest at 120 strides per minute for the "off" part.  When I get bored of that, I put the resistance up as high as it goes and go slower for the similar on/off portions of HIIT.  The weight lifting I'm doing is just to gain strength really.  I'm not planning on looking like Arnold in his prime.

#72 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:54 AM

I'd HIIT that.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users