#41 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

Maybe I was a little over enthusiastic citing "current science" as a researcher might.  I'm a chef instructor at one of the best culinary schools in the US, and work with a body of 30+ highly trained food professionals of various backgrounds, some of whom have degrees in nutrition.  I guess that Joe is correct in saying that there is no definitive "dietary science", as opinions and the science behind them are constantly evolving, but I'm inclined to side with the trained professionals in my field.  But in terms of digestibility and common sense based upon design by evolution, I'm fairly convinced about the animal fats.  We've been consuming them for our entire development as a species.  Canola oil not so much.

The "healthiest" cultural diets in the world, such as the Mediterranean diet you cite all share one thing in common, a particular ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids, with a higher than average level of Omega-3's from a diet high in fatty fish.  Keep in mind though, Japanese, West African, French, and Inuit diets are also cited as some of the *healthiest*.  Many of the studies of these cultural diets also reflect on how the American diet is way out of proportion because we've changed the fat content of our livestock by feeding our cattle, pigs, and chicken, which were normally higher in Omega-3's, a corn based diet that's disproportionally high in Omega-6's.  Grass-fed cattle for instance retain their normal high levels of Omega-3's where the grain fed ones do not and develop fat disproportionately higher in Omega-6.  So it's all very convoluted and I still firmly believe that the less we mess with it, the better it is for us.

I also believe that's why refined sugar is so bad for us, we were never designed to eat the pure sugars out of a plant without any of the other macro/micro nutrients, fiber, and roughage that were a part of the original plant.

#42 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:58 PM

A quick summary article here with some cites from some studies linked: https://paleoleap.com/eat-animal-fat/

Something else of interest here: http://www.newsweek....-healthy-586482

Thanks! Interesting, but neither really supports the bald proposition that "current science has basically decided that animal fats are the healthiest of all for us", which I'm inclined to dismiss.

#43 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:42 PM

I dropped a lot of weight, too. Actually, I mean weights. I picked up my weights, then dropped them, and went and got something to eat.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#44 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:39 AM

Thanks! Interesting, but neither really supports the bald proposition that "current science has basically decided that animal fats are the healthiest of all for us", which I'm inclined to dismiss.

Diets are as much art as science. Medically my personal doctors (internist, cardiologist and physical therapy dr) either subscribe to the Mediterranean Diet or low carb.

#45 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 March 2018 - 04:33 AM

I think low carb diets are across the board the best option for humans.

The low fat craze of recent decades has really bitten people on the ass.  When the fat is removed, the flavor has been removed.  To get the flavor back, more and more sugar had to be added to make things have some kind of taste/flavor.  Now that sugar is in almost everything, more and more people are getting the diabeetus (Wilford Brimley style).  Fats are essential to a healthy diet.  Sugar is not.  Carbs are metabolized into sugars and when those sugars aren't used in, say, exercise, insulin spikes and other bodily reaction take place that really have a negative health impact.  Sugar is the worst thing to eat and it's in so many things.  Fat is flavor and it's the pariah.  A diet super high in fat may have some coronary issues, but a reasonable diet with good fats is one that tastes good, won't trigger insulin reactions and cause the diabeetus.

#46 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Since my recent heart problems and subsequent rehab I am trying to get me eating habits under control. It hasn't been easy as Karen also has weight and diet issues. Based on my blood pressure levels during and after rehab (a combination of treadmill, upper body, recumbent ski machine and resistance band aerobics)I'm picking up some literature on the Dash diet and try that. Exercise also needs to increase, like more walks with Rocky and other workouts.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#47 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

I think low carb diets are across the board the best option for humans.

The low fat craze of recent decades has really bitten people on the ass.  When the fat is removed, the flavor has been removed.  To get the flavor back, more and more sugar had to be added to make things have some kind of taste/flavor.  Now that sugar is in almost everything, more and more people are getting the diabeetus (Wilford Brimley style).  Fats are essential to a healthy diet.  Sugar is not.  Carbs are metabolized into sugars and when those sugars aren't used in, say, exercise, insulin spikes and other bodily reaction take place that really have a negative health impact.  Sugar is the worst thing to eat and it's in so many things.  Fat is flavor and it's the pariah.  A diet super high in fat may have some coronary issues, but a reasonable diet with good fats is one that tastes good, won't trigger insulin reactions and cause the diabeetus.

Yes.  I lost all my weight in the early 90s.  Gained it all back on a vegan (high carb/high sugar) diet back in those "low fat" days of the mid-late 90s.

#48 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:19 PM

https://mobile.twitt...1450240?lang=en
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#49 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

So having attained, partly due to illness, a weight as low as 164-ish pounds, I went on a Caribbean cruise in which I downed beer and martinis with reckless abandon, ate restaurant food every night and consumed unusually large cooked breakfasts every day (a couple of slices of toast is my norm).

I weighed myself not long after returning and was heartened to discover that I was still only at 172-ish, lower than the "usual weight" I aimed to return to after Christmas. The usual moderation and regular cycling exercise has got that down to 168 again so I'm pretty happy.

The thing is though - I've done a couple of long cycle rides at that weight and I don't really feel the difference. Technically speaking I'm pedalling a load that's a bit more than 2.5 kilos lighter along and up the various roads and hills, but it doesn't really feel as though a large weight has been removed from the frame of the bike.

#50 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:40 PM

Interesting. I'm in the process of trying new mountain bikes deciding which one I want to get and I can TOTALLY feel the difference of just a few pounds in a bike. That's why I'm getting something in the 26-27 pounds pound range. I would think you would be even more sensitive to it on a road bike...

#51 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

I can feel the difference between a 10.5kg bike and an 8.5kg bike, yes. But I don't seem to feel it when it comes off my body.

#52 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:50 PM

I don't normally post progress pics on social media but I'll do so here

Just saw this... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

#53 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,537 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 April 2018 - 10:44 PM

I can feel the difference between a 10.5kg bike and an 8.5kg bike, yes. But I don't seem to feel it when it comes off my body.

Ah, I see.  I guess my weight hasn't/doesn't fluctuate that much to notice a difference.  I almost never weigh myself...

#54 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:43 PM

So I switched off the moderation for the four day holiday we had last weekend, "Easter" I think they call it - a few martinis, chocolate, a restaurant meal or two and a few desserts - expecting to climb back to 170 at least. I didn't weigh myself immediately afterward, so I don't know. But I have just now, and I'm back at 165.

Even allowing a couple of pounds for fluctuation, that's quite surprising.

#55 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

^^^ You might be dyslexic. It probably said 561.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#56 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:16 PM

Well I'm back at 167 now, after a couple of restaurant meals and some whisky indulgence. But I'm still pleased with that, unless it's 761 of course.

#57 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

Wow...just saw this thread. Well done FJ!

#58 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 01:51 PM

Thanks everyone.  I survived my first vacation (Vegas! OMG) and am back on plan.  Put on some bloat due to the sodium intake and now back on plan I'm peeing like a race horse.  My biggest tests are always cheat meals and cheat days and coming back and so far I am back with a vengeance.  I'll tend to blog here as a way to keep myself accountable.  I encourage all of you to feel free to do the same and make this thread a supportive environment.  I don't do social media out in the open, for work reasons but I will always be honest and open here.

#59 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:15 PM

Vegas Vacation.....very fun Fenderjazz!     i work 3rd shift so its very difficult staying on a routine.....Specially weekends.

i do go to the gym........its my good habit !   :)

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#60 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,724 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

Hmm...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users