Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:05 PM

Dang! I can't say all Seppos are porkers now :(

That's good going FJ, I'm impressed :)

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#24 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:01 AM

Meanwhile I'm now down to 167.4. I don't know why lying in bed coughing your lungs out and failing to sleep burns more fat than riding a bicycle, but apparently it does.

#25 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 24 February 2018 - 02:48 PM

Meanwhile I'm now down to 167.4. I don't know why lying in bed coughing your lungs out and failing to sleep burns more fat than riding a bicycle, but apparently it does.

I was sick last week. Only made it to the gym once. Lost 5.6 pounds. It burns a lot of calories maintaining a fever.

#26 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

Incredible!  Congrats...  What's your target weight Joe?  

#27 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

Wow...amazing! Well done!!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#28 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:06 AM

Incredible! Congrats... What's your target weight Joe?

Thanks! And thanks everyone

Probably 190ish

#29 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,605 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:11 AM

That's a phenomenal effort, FJ.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#30 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:07 PM

Weighed myself just now - 163.7. Wasting away. But I think I'm on the mend.

#31 DaveG

DaveG

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:47 AM

That's one heck of a transformation, Joe. Impressed as hell. Good for you! :2  thumbs up:

My hat's off to you guys who have this kind of discipline. My better half is quite a bit heavier than he'd like to be, and I know I'm not a positive influence with some of the stuff I eat. Naturally he sees me stuffing my face with bread and pasta and chocolate and wants to have them too (the problem with the chocolate is that I like dark chocolate but he doesn't like dark and goes to the other varieties that are apparently worse for you). Eating more meat and less carbs would probably be really helpful for him, and I think I could handle going more in that direction too - it's vegetables where my finicky eating really limits my choices. Maybe start having the burgers without buns and without fries, make a chicken parm with just the chicken and red sauce and skip the pasta, give up the mashed potatoes, lay off the homemade bread, etc.

#32 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

Vegetables are life, seriously.  It's where the bulk of our nutrition should come from, and they are delicious.  It's a shame Americans have lost touch with eating vegetables properly.  Leafy greens (spinach, kale, chard, arugula), tomatoes, avocados, sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, cabbage family vegetables, including broccoli and cauliflower (a great "white carb" substitute)...  All superfoods.  Bulk up on beans too, black beans, chick peas, and lentils in particular are all high sources of protein and fiber.  Nuts are great, a perfect snack for in-between meals, almonds, walnut, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.  And experiment with alternate whole grains like faro, quinoa, and oats, all better sources of carbs with higher protein and fiber than flour, corn, and potatoes.

Keep in mind, refined sugar is the worst thing in the world for you, both calorically and for having a whole host of negative health effects, and this includes corn syrup, which is the sugar used in the majority of packaged/pre-made foods these days.  Pure sweeteners in general are all empty calories (honey, maple syrup, agave), and artificial sweeteners are toxic, with a possible exception of Stevia which is herbal, but I'm unconvinced, as its health pros and cons aren't proven either way.  Some studies even say that artificial sweeteners cause over-eating because of the bodies perceived lack of nutrition when eating them.  Wheat flour and corn products are also highly modified and mostly empty calories.  Even the classic American potatoes, Idaho/Russet, have been bred specifically for sugar content over the past century so they make a better French Fry, sadly the most consumed "vegetable" preparation in the US.

Keep in mind, anyone can train their palate.  The simplicity of a sliced tomato or cucumber accented with a pinch of salt, some fresh cracked pepper, a squeeze of lemon juice, maybe a dash of good olive oil can be a revelation if one commits to it.  A variety of vegetables planned together for different tastes, textures, and nutrients makes a very satisfying meal.  Fresh herbs can make anything taste good, as can a little olive oil and garlic.  Citrus juices like lemon or lime are a great way to wake flavors up, while adding a lot of Vitamin C to any preparation.  Learning to blend seasonings properly but simply can make all the difference.  And lastly, don't forget dairy, eggs are truly a perfect source of protein and fat based nutrition, a versatile superfood unto themselves, and yogurt and cheese are great sources of protein, fat, and vital nutrients that are better for us than milk, cream, or butter (which we're not really designed to digest as adults) because they've already been partially broken down by probiotics and/or natural coagulants.

#33 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Vegetables are quite good but should be limited to avoid the glycemic issues they generate.  We ride an insulin rollercoaster unless we are consuming fat and some protein.  Carbs are bad.  All carbs.  Running your body off of sugar (I'm talking about veganism and also omnivores here) is a recipe for disaster.  You have to be perfect when running your body off of sugar.  There is no room for error.  

Vegetables and fruits should be reviewed for sugar content.  The high-sugar ones (carrots, corn, legumes, citrus, grapes) should be severely curtailed in favor of the low sugar ones (spinach, kale, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, tart berries).  Fat, soy and animal protein need not be limited as they contribute to the furnace effect.

#34 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

Vegetables are quite good but should be limited to avoid the glycemic issues they generate.  We ride an insulin rollercoaster unless we are consuming fat and some protein.  Carbs are bad.  All carbs.  Running your body off of sugar (I'm talking about veganism and also omnivores here) is a recipe for disaster.  You have to be perfect when running your body off of sugar.  There is no room for error.  

Vegetables and fruits should be reviewed for sugar content.  The high-sugar ones (carrots, corn, legumes, citrus, grapes) should be severely curtailed in favor of the low sugar ones (spinach, kale, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, tart berries).  Fat, soy and animal protein need not be limited as they contribute to the furnace effect.

Absolutely if your'e trying to lose weight through ketosis.  I'm more espousing a generally healthier lifestyle.  Common sense is a key factor, as are natural foods and balanced nutrition.

#35 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

Absolutely if your'e trying to lose weight through ketosis.  I'm more espousing a generally healthier lifestyle.  Common sense is a key factor, as are natural foods and balanced nutrition.

Agree but again, the science behind maintenance/weight loss is limited to insulin/glycemic response.  The science behind high/low LDL cholesterol contains two building blocks - sugar and fat.  Best to eliminate insulin resistance even in maintenance mode.

#36 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

I have another piece of nutrition based advice for any who care to listen.  It's less about weight loss and more related to what's good vs bad for your body, and something I've improved a lot on over the past few years...  Quality of fats, in particular cooking fats, and what's good for you vs what isn't.  It's becoming pretty common knowledge that the vilification of fats in the US was pretty bunk, and that sugar is where American obesity and a multitude of health issues stem from (although we were correct that trans fats are horrible for us, causing many different health issues).  The current belief is that heavily processed "vegetable" fats are terrible for the body.  Soya bean, canola, corn, and "vegetable" oil are all so heavily processed that the body recognizes them more as a toxin than a nutrient.

It's now being said that soya bean oil is the most toxic food humans consume on a regular basis (even worse than sugar), and coincidentally is the primary fat used for deep frying and packaged foods in the US.  These fats are heavily processed (from heavily genetically modified plants, but that's another whole conversation) with heat and chemicals and are altered to extreme levels from what our bodies are designed to digest and absorb as nutrients.

Better oils are expeller, or cold pressed, unmodified oils.  I'm personally using expeller pressed safflower oil at home for all of my high heat, "neutral oil" needs.  It costs on average 40% more than these heavily modified vegetable based oils.  Grape seed oil is another really good neutral oil, although even more expensive.  Both have a "high smoke point", which is better for high temperature cooking.  Some people like avocado and coconut oils as well, but they both impart distinct flavors I don't particularly want in most of my cooking.

Cold pressed olive oils, nut and seed oils are also very good for you, but aren't supposed to be used for high temperature cooking, and all have distinct flavors.  You should never sauté, sear, or even deep fry in these as they turn toxic at the smoke point.  They're primarily for gentle cooking, finishing, and dressings.

Current science has basically decided that animal fats are the healthiest of all for us.  Think about it, millions of years of bodily evolution based upon eating animals and whole vegetables containing fats, with only less than a hundred years of eating processed vegetable oils; using simple common sense, which would you guess was healthier?  Beef fat, lard, duck fat, even butter are all far more acceptable and digestible to the human body.  And goddamn if French Fries deep fried in beef or duck fat aren't freaking delicious!

#37 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Current science has basically decided that animal fats are the healthiest of all for us.

Would be interested to see some sort of credible substantiation for this claim, because I highly doubt it myself. The Mediterranean races that consume mainly olive oil seem to do particularly well on it.

#38 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:07 PM

Would be interested to see some sort of credible substantiation for this claim, because I highly doubt it myself. The Mediterranean races that consume mainly olive oil seem to do particularly well on it.

They are also known for eating a lot of fish, which has lots of excellent quality, healthy "animal" fat.  Sardines, anchovies, tuna, swordfish, mackerel, langoustine, prawns, scallops, etc...  All high fat.  The high levels of Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish are one of the main things attributed to the "healthiness" of the Mediterranean diet.  My post was concerned with "cooking oils", not overall fat consumption, and some animal fats make good cooking oils, fish fats most certainly do not.  I also clearly cited olive oil as one of the good ones, just not for high temperatures.   :)

#39 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

OK so do you have a source for the notion that current science views animal fats as healthiest?

#40 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,898 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

OK so do you have a source for the notion that current science views animal fats as healthiest?

A quick summary article here with some cites from some studies linked: https://paleoleap.com/eat-animal-fat/

Something else of interest here: http://www.newsweek....-healthy-586482

The main problem is that "dietary science" is non-existent. Most studies you're going to read are on the fringe. It's not sexy. It took me 6 months to find a diet doctor who A.) was a real doctor and B.) had significant results over years and C.) who didn't want to cut me open like a fish. Just look at the contradictions over coffee over the past 20 years. It cases cancer, no it doesn't cause cancer, it helps your heart, don't drink coffee unless you want an irregular heartbeat. It's all over the map unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users