#41 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 15 July 2016 - 02:40 AM

Cheech Marin auditioned to sing for Zappa in 1967 (Rueben and the Jets time frame) but then scooted off to Canada to dodge the draft. Up in Canada he meets Tommy Chong...

...who was in Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#42 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

GWAR doesn't have costumes

Now THAT'S a wow music fact.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#43 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:05 AM

ABBA turned down $1 billion to do a 100 show reunion tour in 2000. 

In 2000, amid a revival of several of their hits,  an American-British consortium offered the group $1 billion to reunite for 100 shows,  but they declined the offer, according to E! Online.

To put that into perspective, the group was offered more than the value of 25 different Major League Baseball teams and the GDPs of some countries. That's potentially $250 million that each member of the group refused.

"It's a hell of a lot of money to say no to, but we decided it wasn't for us," Andersson told Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet in 2000.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#44 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:38 AM

ABBA turned down $1 billion to do a 100 show reunion tour in 2000.

More...

Swedish taxes would've left them with about 17.50

#45 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:05 AM

article-2558702-1B87768500000578-561_964

She was rockin' the Toe before it even had a name...

#46 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

According to Kerry Livgren, Carry On Wayward Son was written the night before their last day in the studio when Kansas was recording "Leftoverture". It went on to become their highest charting song at the time and is easily one of their best known songs. He said the song just kind of "came to him" and he played it for the guys the next day and they all said they knew it was going to be a hit and included it on the album. 

• Three Eyes and GhostWriter like this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#47 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Were Kansas a huge band? Did they command a massive concert audience back in the day?

It's kind of hard to get a bead on them, and understand their impact on music in the 70s.

Their material, aside from their hits, has always been impenetrable to me.

#48 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:12 PM

After Carry On Wayward Son hit the airwaves, they sold out places like Madison Square Garden but even before that, they had a pretty big fan base and were selling out 5000-6000 seat venues.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#49 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

I remember my young self being fairly blown away by their album Leftoverture. Not a lot of bands have gotten songs of a proggy nature into the top 40. The singles for Carry On Wayward Son went to #11 and Point of No Return to #28 on the US charts.

Wiki entry:

[Point of No Return] is written mostly in combinations of 4/4 and 3/4 time signatures, phrased as 4+4+4+3 in the verses, a 4/4 pre-chorus and the main chorus phrased 7+7+4+4 (7/4 time).

For you kids who didn't live through the 70s here is the 45 version of Carry On Wayward Son that we heard on AM radio in 1976. (That's right. AM radio.)

#50 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park (also known as Attack of the Phantoms in Europe and Kiss Phantoms in Italy) is a 1978 made-for-television musical-fantasy film starring American hard rock band Kiss and produced by the animation studio of Hanna-Barbera Productions. The film's plot revolves around Kiss, who use their superpowers to battle an evil inventor (Abner Devereaux, played by Anthony Zerbe) and to save a California amusement park from destruction.

NBC aired the film at the height of Kiss' popularity in the United States. Due to the film's poor acting and semi-comedic script, most Kiss fans disliked the film. Despite the film's poor quality, it has attained cult film status. The members of Kiss themselves despised the film for making them appear buffoonish. For years after its airing, no one who worked for the group was permitted to mention the film in their presence.

#51 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,217 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

^^ That was truly horrible.  I was a Kiss fan briefly around this time and even as a 12 year old kid, I knew this film was complete shit.

lol

Kiss sucks...

#52 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

^^^ The plot doesn't seem much different than an episode of Scooby-Doo.

#53 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:56 AM

phantomshoot.jpg

On this day in KISSTORY - May 19th, 1978, KISS performed a free concert at Magic Mountain Amusement Park in Valencia, California to film the concert scenes for the "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park." The concert took place in the parking lot of Magic Mountain. Tickets were distributed through a California radio station and approximately 10,000 fans attended the show. KISS performed a full regular set list and then lip-synched "Love Gun" and "Shock Me" for the movie. Between the concert and filming the extra scenes, the shoot lasted several hours and the band members interacted with the crowd through out the event.

Paul on the concert and film shoot:

"I remember it all like it was yesterday. Doing a film and a concert in a band where some were barely speaking to each other and others not speaking at all was even weirder than the script! I still can't figure out the end of the film."

#54 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:46 PM

Isn't there a shot on a roller coaster with a black dude in Peter Criss's make up? Or Ace's? One of them didn't show so they grabbed the only available crewmember and shot the scene?

#55 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Oh Jesus it's worse than that!

http://www.comingsoo...orst-movie-ever
  • Greg and Three Eyes like this

#56 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,300 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Isn't there a shot on a roller coaster with a black dude in Peter Criss's make up? Or Ace's? One of them didn't show so they grabbed the only available crewmember and shot the scene?

That was Ace's stunt double.  You can see it in the fight sequences, but they also used him when Ace was too drunk or high to show up.  Peter did not show up for dubbing (when you do a film, sometimes your speech needs to be dubbed because it can't be heard).  Because he did not, they used a cartoon voice actor for his voice in the whole movie since the parts would never match.

I remember seeing that as a kid when it came out on TV.  I was a huge kiss fan I thought it was awful then, I can only imagine how bad it is now.  It was supposed to be a movie in theaters, only eventually they came to their senses and sold to TV as a "TV movie".

• Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this

#57 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

For sure.  And that process for dubbing is now known as ADR (it's my industry after all!).

Kiss fascinate me.  Never been a fan, though I hung out with Gene on a shoot about 8 months ago.  Super pro, and nice.  I worked on a celebrity prank show called Fameless, and he was by far the most popular celeb we had, judging by the people who would gather to say hi.  Lots of 50 year old ladies with their husbands in tow...

I listened to some audio on youtube where Paul Stanley just talks shit about Ace and Peter.  Fascinating stuff.  Then Paul goes and sings on Ace's solo record. It's bizarre, but real behavior nonetheless.  Kind of a weird brotherhood they have.

I've begun to understand them a little bit more, and they definitely pay a lot of respect to their fans.  I saw it firsthand with Gene.  He's totally gross, and will fondle any woman within 3 feet of him, but he's a nice guy too.

• Three Eyes likes this

#58 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,300 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:40 PM

^^^

Those Paul youtubes are from the audiobook version of his bio.  It's actually quite good, in fact most of the bios, Peter, Ace, Paul (Gene's are kind of crap) are great.  Lot of Rush content (they toured together extensively 74-75) and some pics in the Ace and Peter books.

https://www.amazon.c...=kiss biography

https://www.amazon.c...=kiss biography

https://www.amazon.c...rds=ace frehley

#59 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:09 PM

She was rockin' the Toe before it even had a name...

Well it was the '70s so chances are good there was a carpet. Whether it matched the drapes is anybody's guess.

#60 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,184 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:23 PM

Based on their Scandanavianess, I bet it was matching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users