chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

It’s all Rush’s fault that we got Van Cherone:

http://youtube.com/w...?v=DJKeOYU62cA#

In 1996 (Sorry for the video typo, not 1998...time flies!), Mitch Malloy auditioned for Van Halen by recording a few tracks at 5150 studios with Eddie, Alex and Michael Anthony. His joining VH as replacement for Sammy Hagar was overridden by then manager Ray Danniels, who wanted his boy Gary Cherone in.

The band when twith Cherone.

But what would could have been? Have a listen to this live studio demo for the very first time - exclusive to MelodicRock.com.

Mitch told me exclusively of his day at 5150:

"A guy who worked for their management at the time used to be my road manager and he kept calling me and telling me they were going to fire Sammy and that I was going to be the next singer in Van Halen and he was calling and calling and finally I got annoyed by this and told him to stop and that I didn't think I was a good fit in VH and that if he was serious he should have Ed call me.
A week later Desmond Child calls me and says he has just left Ed's house and was writing with them and that they were talking about me and that they were watching my "Anything At All" video, and that he told them that I was perfect for them, and that they would be lucky to get me, and before I knew it, I was on a plane to LA. Ed did call, a bunch of times. He was great."

Mitch recorded with the band - Panama, Ain't Talking 'bout Love, Why Can't This Be Love, Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do), Jump.

"It was very surreal. It was pretty cool. Valerie was very nice to me and Wolfy and I had a great connection. He just took to me right away. Ed was very taken with that as I recall, he told me I must be the guy cause his son loved me.
It was cool. It was very nice. Ed is really a great guy, and so is Al and Mike. Ed was treating me like I was his best friend, his little brother. He still does most of the time. I miss him at the moment. I have not talked to him in a while. I hope he is okay.

He was very encouraging on this new record. I sent him You Lift Me, It's About Love, and Draw The Line and he called me while he was still listening to it and was very very excited and saying things that I couldn't believe. I can't really repeat them here without sounding like a total egotistic ass, so I will just say, he was very flattering.
I hung up and yelled at the top of my voice. That felt way better than when he told me I was in the band. I felt like he accepted me as a peer when he like my music."

#302 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:27 PM

How does Ray Danniels override Eddie?

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#303 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

Jeff Daniels could play Ray Danniels in the movie.

jeff-daniels-8.jpg

RayDanniels-640x400.png

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#304 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:55 AM

How does Ray Danniels override Eddie?

His sister (in law?) was married to AVH. But still - I guess they thought Gary was more well known. But Jesus what a snafu. VH3 is unlistenable. The songs are so half baked with no structure.

#305 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:09 AM

Re: Rickrolling

According to The Register, as of 2010, [Rick] Astley had only directly received $12 in performance royalties from YouTube. Although by that time the song had been played 39 million times, Astley did not compose the song and received only a performer's share of the sound recording copyright.

The video is sitting at 451 million views today. So that nets him a cool 140 bucks.

#306 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 24 July 2018 - 03:33 AM

"Don't You (Forget About Me)" The mega-hit no one wanted to record.

Forsey asked Cy Curnin from The Fixx, Bryan Ferry and Billy Idol to record the song, but all three declined; Idol did later perform a cover of it on his 2001 compilation album Greatest Hits. Schiff then suggested Forsey ask Simple Minds who, after refusing as well, agreed under the encouragement of their label, A&M. According to frontman Jim Kerr, the band was reluctant to record the song as they felt they should only record their own material, relenting after persuasion from Kerr's wife at the time, Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders, and a phone call from Forsey in which he expressed his admiration for the band. According to one account, the band "rearranged and recorded 'Don't You (Forget About Me)' in three hours in a north London studio and promptly forgot about it."

Continuing the rock direction recently taken on Sparkle in the Rain but also glancing back at their melodic synthpop past, it caught the band at their commercial peak and, propelled by the success of The Breakfast Club, became a #1 hit in the U.S. and around the world. It is also the band's only #1 hit on the U.S. Top Rock Tracks chart, staying atop for three weeks. While only reaching #7 in the UK, it stayed on the charts from 1985 to 1987, one of the longest time spans for any single in the history of the chart.

#307 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:57 PM

^^^Sounds like me singing in the shower...and that is not a good thing.

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#308 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

IMG_1086.JPG?v=1513371348

krr92g3ad5dvrskgsx45.jpg

npaodagwlibvtlbduov0.jpg

#309 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

To date, Dwight Yoakam has acted in 22 theatrical films and 14 TV shows.

As Warden Burns in 2017's Logan Lucky

595fcf035c85fe427f162131_cast_dwightYoka

011%2BDwight%2BYoakam%2Bas%2BWarden%2BBu

logan-lucky-LL_01446_rgb.jpg

dwight-yoakam-50th-academy-of-country-mu

#310 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Future rock star.

eebdef5f53e293598acc22c769bae0c4.jpg

#311 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 09:45 PM

So what trophy had young Bulsara won?

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#312 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 10:00 PM

Beats me. Best smile?

#313 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:10 PM

Quincy Jones attended his own memorial service in 1974.

Aneurysm and memorial service

In 1974, Jones suffered a life-threatening brain aneurysm, so he decided to cut back on his schedule to spend time with his friends and family. Since his family and friends believed Jones' life was coming to an end, they started to plan a memorial service for him. He attended his own service with his neurologist by his side, in case the excitement overwhelmed him. Some of the entertainers at his service were Richard Pryor, Marvin Gaye, Sarah Vaughan, and Sidney Poitier.

#314 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:25 PM

Quincy Jones attended his own memorial service in 1974.

No white people? Christ the guy's dead for crying out loud. Couldn't you send Bob Denver to represent? Or maybe Lorne Greene?

#315 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:13 PM

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen jamming the blues.

Hear My Train a Comin' (Hendrix Hits London): The Concert, EMP Sky Church, Seattle, November 17, 2012

#316 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:16 PM

No white people? Christ the guy's dead for crying out loud. Couldn't you send Bob Denver to represent? Or maybe Lorne Greene?

8a672cd49152fa551f2e519db1b7eb7d.jpg

#317 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,085 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:20 PM

If you haven't read the Quincy Jones Vulture interview yet, here it is. I'm only a quarter in and it's already a doozy.

http://www.vulture.c...nversation.html

#318 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,615 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

The Stranglers' drummer Jet Black is 80. He doesn't tour with them any more, but he's still in the band.

Just the other week on McCartney's 76th birthday I was thinking to myself that it wouldn't be long before people from the established rock bands were in their '80s, then I checked Bill Wyman's age and he's already 81.

Jet Black becoming an octeganarian took me by surprise, though. When I saw The Stranglers in November '77 he was already in his 40th year, substantially older than luminaries from some of the dinosaur bands that they and the other New Wave bands were supposed to sweep aside. Ozzy Osbourne and Robert Plant were still in their '20s.

jetis80.jpg

I sort of feel like I'm living in the far future, sometimes.

#319 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 28 August 2018 - 07:27 AM

The Stranglers' drummer Jet Black is 80. He doesn't tour with them any more, but he's still in the band.

Just the other week on McCartney's 76th birthday I was thinking to myself that it wouldn't be long before people from the established rock bands were in their '80s, then I checked Bill Wyman's age and he's already 81.

Jet Black becoming an octeganarian took me by surprise, though. When I saw The Stranglers in November '77 he was already in his 40th year, substantially older than luminaries from some of the dinosaur bands that they and the other New Wave bands were supposed to sweep aside. Ozzy Osbourne and Robert Plant were still in their '20s.

jetis80.jpg

I sort of feel like I'm living in the far future, sometimes.

My recollection of the late 70’s was that the Stranglers were viewed suspiciously by many punk bands and certainly by the music press because of their age. None of the rest of the band were as old as Jet Black but they were all born in the late 40’s or very early 50’s. I think there was also a feeling that they were suspiciously competent. It does seem very strange to be sitting here aged 57 recollecting a time when being in your late 20’s was seen as being old and decrepit. :(

#320 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,655 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 28 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

Just seen that today is original Stranglers singer/guitarist Hugh Cornwell’s 69th birthday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users