#281 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:43 PM

Claude Leonetti of French prog band Lazuli can’t use his left arm so he invented a new instrument so he could keep playing.

THE LITTLE STORY OF THE LÉODE

“ In 1986, a motorbike accident deprived me of the use of my left arm(and my guitar!!!). To satisfy my need for sound and music, I explored the world of computer music, synthesizers and recording. However, I still missed my guitar and it was after a dream (I swear it’s true!!!)that the idea came to me of a new type of instrument and so, one morning I got up and I put my idea on paper…During the following week, the hasty sketches became a scale drawing.The name of my imaginary instrument is a mixture of my family name and my first name: Léonetti Claude: Léo…de. My dream was no longer my imagination. By chance, I met Vincent Maury from LAG Innov’art and we worked on my project for two years… The Léode was created in 1995 (yes, in the last century). I say THE Léode ’cause it’s unique(so I’m at the moment the best player of the Léode in the world!!!). In fact the instrument is the improbable mix of a guitar, a synthesizer and a melodic saw (with a piece of wood).The Léode controls a sampler and a multi-effect by midi system.I work on my synthesis or sample sounds, which I hear all around me. That is why in my sound data, we can find the voice of my dog, my cat or my friend Sylvain, without even recognizing them.We can also hear sounds inspired from the guitar, the Sarangui, the Doudouk, and all string instruments including a lot of other non-definable sounds. I release the notes by pressing with my right hand. Here, the strings and keys are channels and the fingers move over the smooth surface (roughly speaking , I practise a kind of gliding sport, which is safe and not yet recognized in the Olympic Games!!!).This is only one part of the story of the Léode… the rest I tell with my instrument on stage or on the albums of LAZULI…”

BED6_EBA8_48_CD_4_C86_8123_E9_D8_CF02031

#282 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:44 PM

• Three Eyes likes this

#283 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

Michel Petrucciani was a French jazz pianist. From birth he had osteogenesis imperfecta, a genetic disease that causes brittle bones and, in his case, short stature. He became one of the most accomplished jazz pianists of his generation despite having arms that caused him pain.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#284 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 02:31 AM

Tina Turner's "Private Dancer" was written by Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck plays the guitar solo.

The song was originally intended for Dire Straits' album Love over Gold. The instrumental track was recorded, but Mark Knopfler considered the lyrics unsuitable for a male singer, so the track was cut. Legal restrictions prevented the original recording being used by Tina Turner; so, two years later, it was remade by members of the group. Terry Williams replaced the original drummer Pick Withers. Knopfler did not appear on the track and was replaced by Jeff Beck. Turner told DJ Roger Scott:

Roger [Turner's manager] knows Knopfler's manager Ed Bicknell, and Bicknell said, 'I think Mark has a song that could fit Tina, that he never used because he thought it was a song for a girl.' Mark produced the song and sang it, and after he did it he felt that it was not a song for a man, so it was just sitting on the shelf… He gave me the track and I copied it with Dire Straits people – most of them. At first I was going to try to just put my voice on Mark's tapes, but there was a record company problem, so we got Mark's musicians, Dire Straits, and went into the studio... Someone said, 'Why did you select "Private Dancer"? It's a song about a hooker. Is it because you've been a hooker?' And I was shocked... I didn't see her as a hooker... I can be naive about some of these things. But actually the answer is no. I took it because it was an unusual song. I'd never sung a song like it. And I wish you could hear Mark's version of it. He's got a very English-sounding voice... and it was really quite beautiful.... A very arty song... so I put the old soulful touch on it.

• chemistry1973 likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#285 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:25 AM

A well-researched breakdown of the Verve's "Bittersweet Symphony" copyright debacle.

#286 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,521 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 11:58 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users