Photo

Cable Internet connection up/down last couple days...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:17 AM

Comcast said my modem was faulty, so got a new one. Worked awhile but now up/down like before. The one I traded in had a short inline connector on the coax cable that the new one doesn't. That wasn't a resistor of some sort was it??? Anyway, they're comin' out monday to check things out, in the meantime I get my internet coming in spurts...heh...

< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#2 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

Where abouts are you located? I was watching some attacks over Telnet from China hit a few major internet nodes (especially the one in St. Louis)  over the course of the last few weeks.

In case anyone's curious, check out IPViking if you want to watch cyberwar waged live.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#3 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:43 AM

I painted my modem black so it would run faster but then it stopped working.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#4 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

Did you turn it off and then on again?

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:01 PM

Sometimes it's a splitter. If you're getting internet access via cable TV there are these little screw on Y-connectors that can go bad. They use them typically in your house to graft on new pieces of cable to run to multiple tvs and/or cable modems. They can put a test up when they get there and hopefully sort it out.

#6 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

splitters.jpg

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#7 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Nope not a splitter, just an in-line do-hicky of some sort. Yes, Alan, I turned it off/on and that actually would get it working for a bit, but then back to intermittent after awhile. Last nite I turned it off for 1/2 hr or so, and when I fired it back up, it went online and has been working ever since...hmmm...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#8 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

overheating? running torrents? 

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,895 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 16 September 2015 - 02:14 AM

Hmm,. still sounds fishy but you never know.  I've had problems like that before that mysteriously resolve

#10 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:46 PM

Since July I've been having problems with my Comcast Internet, the only thing that wasn't happening, was I couldn't get Counterparts! "rushmessageboard.com".  JUST THIS SITE.  They finally came out for a fouth time this last Monday, and installed a Modem/router combo unit that the Tech said should have been installed back when I 're-upped' with them back in '12.  The connection attempts kept 'timing out'.  After the new modem, it went up immediately, and I was overjoyed!  Then on Tuesday, everything started 'timing out' again. I turned it on today, and everything is working fine, like it used to.  Still called for a Tech to come out tomorrow.  they 

'comped' me on all of this, so it's not costing me anything, but for what I  pay for a month's usage of their product, I expect a BIG lowering of this fee.  They say I'll get it, too....hope so......Thanks to Joe for all the help he's given me, and helped me to understand that It was COMCAST, and not anything I'd done, that was the problem......report back tomorrow about what the Tech says.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!Movies-%20Gran%20Torino%20Curmudgeonalit

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"