13 replies to this topic

#1 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:20 PM

Just wanted to give a shout out to a group who my son used to be involved with...my son chose college and the others chose the other path, and are now opening for Between the Buried and Me. they are a mix of prog/classical and jazz. track one is basically an intro, but it gets going. how a tune begins isn't what it sounds like a minute later. Creative kids.

they are Native Construct, my Mansfield peeps. https://nativeconstruct.bandcamp.com/

• stoopid, OldRUSHfan and Three Eyes like this
I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:41 PM

They are very accomplished. This will go down well with the prog-metal crowd, I think. (Maybe Nick will even like it and he hates everything.) It's like a combo of prog-metal and good ol' prog. This genre isn't my thing but they are damn creative in how they mix it up. The cookie monster vocals are a cliche though. Thankfully they seem to be pretty sparse, 

Chromatic Aberration is like Tull gone metal. I just heard a part Sigur Ros could have done. Devin Townsend is the only prog-metalist I've ever liked because he's such a brilliant and fearless musical explorer. I gotta say these guys remind me of him.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:54 PM

Big Muse influence there I think (based on the first tune). I like that. I love the waltzy rhythm as well. Nice

#4 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:50 PM

I will say something negative though. A lot of these types of prog-metal album performances are just too effing perfect. It bleeds some of the humanity out of the music.  

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:55 PM

Aye. Here's to three chords and the truth!

#6 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:02 AM

The cookie monster vocals are a cliche though. Thankfully they seem to be pretty sparse, 

Chromatic Aberration is like Tull gone metal. I just heard a part Sigur Ros could have done. Devin Townsend is the only prog-metalist I've ever liked because he's such a brilliant and fearless musical explorer. I gotta say these guys remind me of him.

yep on cookie monster. and they're touring with BTB&M, which is huge on the cookie monster treatment, and i'm not into that.

what i do really like is all the different instruments that get blended in. Not sure but i wouldn't doubt some are keyboard-made, but i know not all of it is.

actually, i could have liked it better as a whole-album instrumental.

Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

#7 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:04 AM

Big Muse influence there I think (based on the first tune). I like that. I love the waltzy rhythm as well. Nice

Yes! exactly right. my son and his friends are huge Muse fans. 

#8 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:19 AM

I will say something negative though. A lot of these types of prog-metal album performances are just too effing perfect. It bleeds some of the humanity out of the music.  

agreed.

but i find that often with a lot of prog. it gets annoying after awhile. i can't bear to listen to Dream Theater, and Lana Lane and Paradigm Blue which i used to really like now seem just too much. Overworked or something. 

These kids are new at it, comparatively speaking, they're students at Berklee, and they're striking out with their thing, and i'm happy for them. I think my son's had a few "if only" moments, but after HS he went to BC and the others met at Berklee and that was that. 

• Three Eyes likes this

#9 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:23 AM

oops and i just realised i put this in the wrong forum, should be in the notrushmusic page. sorry bout that.

#10 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:34 AM

agreed.

but i find that often with a lot of prog. it gets annoying after awhile. i can't bear to listen to Dream Theater, and Lana Lane and Paradigm Blue which i used to really like now seem just too much. Overworked or something. 

These kids are new at it, comparatively speaking, they're students at Berklee, and they're striking out with their thing, and i'm happy for them. I think my son's had a few "if only" moments, but after HS he went to BC and the others met at Berklee and that was that. 

Dare I say it, I think these guys are a cut above DT and Paradigm Blue. Never heard of Lana Lane.

#11 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:04 AM

I was going to say there was a certain Opeth vibe, but not really that either.  They may have somehow carved out a unique niche of their own (there's so many prog bands it's hard to be unique anymore).  I think the DT comparison is valid, there's plenty of stop action, that patented controlled frenetic flurry of notes, and of course many songs within songs.  It's definitely serious prog.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#12 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Not familiar with Opeth's music, but right on the description of the style-

I'm sorry to say that i'm getting tired of it already. It's good, but in the end, seems to like a lot of other bands, just get pretentious with the lyrics...if it were just instrumental, i'd be better with it. the fantastical lyrics don't do it for me.

#13 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

... seems to like a lot of other bands, just get pretentious with the lyrics...if it were just instrumental, i'd be better with it. the fantastical lyrics don't do it for me.

That's definitely a defining element of 'prog'.

My criticism is more with the lack of hooks in their music.  I managed one listen to the album.  They almost seem to be intentionally making it hard to listen to them, despite there being an obvious bounty of talent behind the music.  Not all that different from some of Zappa's output - it's a middle finger to "music", and ultimately fails since it violates all the common sense rules to engage the listener.  Perhaps they truly don't care if no one listens, or perhaps they're delusional and think they're going to single handedly change the way the entire human race listens to music.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#14 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

.....the lack of hooks in their music.

They almost seem to be intentionally making it hard to listen to them, despite there being an obvious bounty of talent behind the music....... Perhaps they truly don't care if no one listens, or perhaps they're delusional and think they're going to single handedly change the way the entire human race listens to music.

yep, no hooks, but i can go along with that as long as the story of the song is engaging.

For the other couple of sentences i quoted you, i'm sure most who make music want others to hear and enjoy it. But the mistake some make is to stuff a lot of things into the same piece of music, because to some, crowded=complex=talent=excellent music.

It just doesn't always apply. I'm an excellent cook, i make up things as i go along, but sometimes there's so many good things i want to put into some dish, and it becomes more unremarkabe.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users