#21 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Everytime I try to use a pc with 8 on it, I feel like I've entered the twilight zone of futility. There is nothing intuitive about that OS at all. I don't need my desk or laptop OS trying to act like it is my tablet or phone, especially if the computer doesn't have a touch screen. STUUUUUPPPIIIIIIDD!!!

I am very happy with 7; it performs well and is very stable and rarely gives me any issues pretty much no matter the box of hardware I slap it on... Upgrading needlessly is a waste of time and resources and it is sadly all about the revenue streams...

Agreed.

Though I have this same feeling now with websites, which have all changed their layouts now to be tablet-friendly.  Fine when I'm on my tablet, but ugly and inefficient when I'm on my PC.

• grep likes this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#22 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Agreed.

Though I have this same feeling now with websites, which have all changed their layouts now to be tablet-friendly.  Fine when I'm on my tablet, but ugly and inefficient when I'm on my PC.

for the first year of this trend i occasionally thought "why are web page designers all making websites that seem to be designed for the visually-impaired?"

completely spacing the existence of tablets and smartphones

and i still don't own one of either of those things

and i never will

nevah!

for more information please reread

#23 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,837 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

Some sites seem to be able to differentiate the device on which the user is using to view them and have separate mobile and PC versions. 

Sadly, most do not.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#24 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:12 PM

Just as an example, espn got really visually painful recently.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#25 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

After Vista the guys over at GNOME seemed to be inspired, and changed their whole look and functionality to a parallel universe kind of suck. Gnome 2 started shipping with Fedora.... I lied in the post above, I've gotten mad at that GUI as well.

It made me stick with an old distro of Fedora Core for a really long time.... Like 13 or something...  I still haven't found a desktop manager I like as much as the old GNOME... I know there's a branch now... will get a new distro at some point.

Try this - http://mate-desktop.org/

Or specifically the MATE version of Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Designed for people like myself who dislike more recent versions of Gnome. Responsive and simple, but a bit slicker (I find) than XFCE. I do like XFCE for older hardware though.

• grep likes this

#26 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,837 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:27 AM

The happiest I've been on a Linux system has been on a Mint distro. Everything I needed, smooth and clean.

I've fiddled around with some of the Red Hat line, too, and enjoyed those, but not as well as the times I've used Mint.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#27 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:24 AM

Try this - http://mate-desktop.org/

Or specifically the MATE version of Mint http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Designed for people like myself who dislike more recent versions of Gnome. Responsive and simple, but a bit slicker (I find) than XFCE. I do like XFCE for older hardware though.

Thanks. :)

falconext.png

#28 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:29 AM

Windows_Updated_Family_Tree.png

• SJS likes this

falconext.png

#29 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:35 AM

Windows 10 is a continuation of the blue boxes... which represent the Windows NT Kernel.   (Even though 10 isn't in the above, dated chart)

What used to be known as Windows NT was developed seperately from the code of windows 1.0, 2.0-> ME.  ( red boxes) Everything from 1.0 to ME was based on the same source tree over time. MS Dropped that after ME and then built XP on top of the very successful NT code, and that's what we've been seeing ever since.

For all the problems we have, you gotta admit that things have been a LOT better , well mostly batter since XP. 

• SJS likes this

falconext.png

#30 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:04 AM

Windows 10 is a continuation of the blue boxes... which represent the Windows NT Kernel.   (Even though 10 isn't in the above, dated chart)

What used to be known as Windows NT was developed seperately from the code of windows 1.0, 2.0-> ME.  ( red boxes) Everything from 1.0 to ME was based on the same source tree over time. MS Dropped that after ME and then built XP on top of the very successful NT code, and that's what we've been seeing ever since.

For all the problems we have, you gotta admit that things have been a LOT better , well mostly batter since XP. 

It's also quite interesting that Microsoft and Apple stuff is quite similar yet the Applephiles still pay a lot more for their version of a personal computer with an Intel processor. Just silly. 

• grep likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#31 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:09 AM

#32 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

It's also quite interesting that Microsoft and Apple stuff is quite similar yet the Applephiles still pay a lot more for their version of a personal computer with an Intel processor. Just silly. 

Sort of like paying extra for organic food. And I bet there's a pretty good correlation between Apple users and organic enthusiasts.

(My analogy is flawed. I do think Apple products have some unique qualities that justify the price difference, unlike organic food. What Apple did in the phone, music, and tablet markets was innovative. But other than making really thin, lightweight laptops, I never found Apple computers to be even equivalently good to PCs. Yes, they're far less virus prone, but that is achieved at too great a cost from my perspective in terms of flexibility.)
  • Greg and A Rebel and a Runner like this

LYqbjSn.jpg

#33 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,435 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 01 August 2015 - 04:02 PM

Sort of like paying extra for organic food. And I bet there's a pretty good correlation between Apple users and organic enthusiasts.

(My analogy is flawed. I do think Apple products have some unique qualities that justify the price difference, unlike organic food. What Apple did in the phone, music, and tablet markets was innovative. But other than making really thin, lightweight laptops, I never found Apple computers to be even equivalently good to PCs. Yes, they're far less virus prone, but that is achieved at too great a cost from my perspective in terms of flexibility.)

They've become a sort of status symbol and a lifestyle. Same with their phones but even more so.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#34 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

Windows 10 can detect and disable pirated copies of Microsoft games

https://www.vg247.co...icrosoft-games/

#35 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,813 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

MV5BMTQxMjU2ODk4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQz

• EZrhythm likes this

#36 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:20 PM

Windows 10 can detect and disable pirated copies of Microsoft games

https://www.vg247.co...icrosoft-games/

It's certainly their right to do so.

What's the deal with the unauthorized hardware peripherals clause?  Could they be talking about the OS figuring out that it's installed on a bootable USB stick.... or maybe on a Mac or other 'not worthy' platform? 

• EZrhythm likes this

falconext.png

#37 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:21 PM

Game peripherals like controllers-

http://www.back2gami...ng-peripherals/

#38 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,633 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:45 AM

Doesn't make any sense to me.  Why would that be enforced by a software package? Too many gray areas.

And what happens if I write my own device driver..... I dunno, let's just say that I write and build something to make an Atari 2600 Keypad controller work. Does that get kicked out? If so, why? If not, why?

falconext.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users