Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,654 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

heh...

Have any of your devices been updated yet?  Nothing on any of mine yet...but on my tablet, I have the icon, nothing has happened yet though.

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,145 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

If you wonder where all your bandwidth and disk space are going, it's downloading now

#4 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

heh...

Have any of your devices been updated yet?  Nothing on any of mine yet...but on my tablet, I have the icon, nothing has happened yet though.

My Android device has updated. :wacko:

#5 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:11 PM

The Me/2000 deviation I can kind of see, but I really don't understand the skip from 8 to 10.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#6 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

I can see that my preference to keep things XP is becoming less and less sustainable.........

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

The Me/2000 deviation I can kind of see, but I really don't understand the skip from 8 to 10.

They want to distance themselves from 8.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#8 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,598 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

As long as MS gives the end user no choice in what updates they want to install, I won't be using Windows X. I'm hoping there is enough backlash that they'll drop that part of it.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#9 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,890 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:16 AM

They want to distance themselves from 8.

This.

falconext.png

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,890 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

As long as MS gives the end user no choice in what updates they want to install, I won't be using Windows X. I'm hoping there is enough backlash that they'll drop that part of it.

You and me both. Sometimes patches are just plain buggy. Other times, I just want to use my box... I don't care if I don't have the most up to date.... doesn't matter.

falconext.png

#11 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for that, I'll get on the same band wagon too.

#12 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:54 AM

You and me both. Sometimes patches are just plain buggy.

This continues to be my biggest complaint about MS. When I use their operating system, I feel like I'm a beta tester, not an end user.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#13 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:03 AM

I don't have many complaints about Windows 7, my current OS.  I've been debating whether to switch to 10.  I like that it's free.  Still researching.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#14 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

8i4nP2k.png

problem: Windows

solution: format, install Linux or like, anything else, and stop dealing with Emm-Ess's garbage

(yes yes, i know the fix for that error is simple but the very fact that Win10 produces a 'something happened' error during installation is troubling)

operating systems i support (i.e. i will help you with these if you don't make me do literally everything for you): Linux (Debian and derivatives v6+, SuSE Linux / openSUSE v10+ [if you're still using v9-, you need to upgrade], Ubuntu and derivatives v12+, RHEL v6+ / Fedora v12+ and derivatives, Slackware v12+ and derivatives), FreeBSD v9+ (with some reluctance), Microsoft Windows XP (NT v5.1 w/o SP3), Sun / Oracle Solaris v9+ (with much reluctance)

operating systems i will support with some eventuality (i.e. if you call/text/email/IM me, this is gonna be a learning experience for both of us): Apple Mac OS X all subversions, Microsoft Windows 7-8.1 w/o Bing

operating systems that have royally pissed me off and you're on your own (i.e. i will say 'sorry -- been there, done that, didn't even get a t-shirt' and hang up on you when you utter the following): Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 8.1 w/ Bing

operating systems i assume will royally piss me off and you're on your own because of it (i.e. i will say 'hey, it's gonna sound like i'm hanging up, but' and hang up on you when you utter the following): Google Android, Google Chrome OS, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows 10

also, super special note: i'm starting to like working on cars more than working on computers these days

software all across the board is taking a turn for the worse

(btw, i did give Win8.1w/Bing the old college try. that was enough. don't need to know more about Win10 than 'something happened' because it's just not happening)

for more information please reread

#15 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

Everytime I try to use a pc with 8 on it, I feel like I've entered the twilight zone of futility. There is nothing intuitive about that OS at all. I don't need my desk or laptop OS trying to act like it is my tablet or phone, especially if the computer doesn't have a touch screen. STUUUUUPPPIIIIIIDD!!!

I am very happy with 7; it performs well and is very stable and rarely gives me any issues pretty much no matter the box of hardware I slap it on... Upgrading needlessly is a waste of time and resources and it is sadly all about the revenue streams...

#16 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,890 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Everytime I try to use a pc with 8 on it, I feel like I've entered the twilight zone of futility. There is nothing intuitive about that OS at all. I don't need my desk or laptop OS trying to act like it is my tablet or phone, especially if the computer doesn't have a touch screen. STUUUUUPPPIIIIIIDD!!!

I am very happy with 7; it performs well and is very stable and rarely gives me any issues pretty much no matter the box of hardware I slap it on... Upgrading needlessly is a waste of time and resources and it is sadly all about the revenue streams...

Exactly how I feel.  I've used everything from UNIX to Windows to text based Mainframe GUI systems. All have some sense of intuitiveness and organization. Except for 8.   8 is a clusterfuck.   Vista was pretty bad too, but then they basically made it look like 7.  But 8.... UGH. I've never gotten so mad at a comp when trying to do a basic task. 

I'm hoping 10 is more like 7.... will try it out in a VM this weekend, on top of an install of 8. 

falconext.png

#17 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,094 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Yeah, I'mma use 7 as long as I possibly can (I play some games on the computer that I can't run in Linux, even through WINE, otherwise I'd be running all-penguin, all the time).

#18 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,890 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

After Vista the guys over at GNOME seemed to be inspired, and changed their whole look and functionality to a parallel universe kind of suck. Gnome 2 started shipping with Fedora.... I lied in the post above, I've gotten mad at that GUI as well.

It made me stick with an old distro of Fedora Core for a really long time.... Like 13 or something...  I still haven't found a desktop manager I like as much as the old GNOME... I know there's a branch now... will get a new distro at some point.

falconext.png

#19 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

I don't need my desk or laptop OS trying to act like it is my tablet or phone, especially if the computer doesn't have a touch screen. STUUUUUPPPIIIIIIDD!!!

^ this

i don't know wtf they were thinking with all of the touchscreen-centric UI features of 8

did Emm-Ess think keyboards and mice were going to be obsolete or what?

even if 10 improves on that though, i highly doubt it'll be any more flexible in the bugfix dept

having dealt with driver issues in 8-8.1/Bing that literally could not be made to go away because of how it treats changes to drivers, i want nothing to do with their software anymore

there's a big difference between making your OS more secure and making it impossible to fix when something does go wrong -- Emm-Ess has lost sight of this difference

they're getting closer to Apple's approach as time goes by

"the problem is being investigated by our crack staff of technicians/geniuses and will be fixed when you buy the new version of our product -- please don't try to fix it yourself as there is no user-serviceable software inside"

if i buy a new car and it's running on three cylinders because one of the spark plug wires isn't connected and it's behind a bunch of junk that i need tools only the manufacturer and dealers have to get out of the way.. and i take that car to the dealer.. and they tell me i need to buy a new car..

i do.. but i buy one from a different company

#20 Xanadu590

Xanadu590

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

After Vista the guys over at GNOME seemed to be inspired, and changed their whole look and functionality to a parallel universe kind of suck. Gnome 2 started shipping with Fedora.... I lied in the post above, I've gotten mad at that GUI as well.

It made me stick with an old distro of Fedora Core for a really long time.... Like 13 or something...  I still haven't found a desktop manager I like as much as the old GNOME... I know there's a branch now... will get a new distro at some point.

GNOME!? well there's the problem right there!

Xfce or bust! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users