24 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

For my 2112th (count 'em) post, I thought it appropriate to say a few words about what, for me, is the band's signature record.

I don't think it's the very best Rush album, but it's bloody close. It doesn't have the distinctive flair of Hemispheres, or the assured polish and clever craft of Moving Pictures - but it has a power and a drama that set it apart from all of their other records. The title piece especially has a passion and electricity that is unmatched in the entire Rush canon.

2112-cover1-600x600.jpg

Even side two, as it was originally conceived, is beautifully done - much more mature and polished than any of the first three albums, immaculately produced, and here and there performed with touches of the same inspirational power and style of the first side.

They caught lightning in a bottle here, and I don't think they could have done it again if they tried. A work of towering stature; simply magnificent.

#2 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

One does not simply write and record 2112. Yet that's exactly what they did. A landmark in rock 'n' roll.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#3 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,192 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 July 2015 - 07:27 PM

This was the album they decided from now on we do what we want.  It sounds like it.  I think the production matches what they were trying to do here, though I do remember thinking in the past that it was slightly too polished.

#4 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

Considering where they were in their history…record company up their asses, coming off the “down the tubes tour”, losing traction…took a lot of moxie for them to pull that off. As Grohl said, ‘Rush are indeed a band…that has balls’

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#5 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

Side 2 is kind-of dreadful. 

#6 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,496 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 30 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

Top four Rush album for me, behind only MP, PeW and GUP.

#7 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:09 PM

Lifesons use of acoustic guitars gives even the metal songs an ethereal quality.

I love this record.

#8 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:13 AM

I just like the fact that the record label wanted one thing and Rush gave them the finger and wrote an album side epic.

Try that nowdays, prog-wanna-be's....

That is one reason I'm not in a band.

All or nothing.

That was the philosophy that Rush used...and if it's good enough for Rush, it's good enough for me..

Good thing i still have a day job..

#9 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:50 AM

I enjoy the ambition, energy, and youthful charm.  And it definitely showcases the surging talent of the band.  A classic for sure.

But for me, the album ultimately is too juvenile to place among the top tier of the canon.  If I dust off Rush, it's more likely to be something from the peak of their musicianship -- Hemispheres through GUP era.  I'd even go far as to say that I tend to play some of their newer stuff more than 2112.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,994 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:23 AM

For my 2112th (count 'em) post, I thought it appropriate to say a few words about what, for me, is the band's signature record.

I don't think it's the very best Rush album, but it's bloody close. It doesn't have the distinctive flair of Hemispheres, or the assured polish and clever craft of Moving Pictures - but it has a power and a drama that set it apart from all of their other records. The title piece especially has a passion and electricity that is unmatched in the entire Rush canon.

2112-cover1-600x600.jpg

Even side two, as it was originally conceived, is beautifully done - much more mature and polished than any of the first three albums, immaculately produced, and here and there performed with touches of the same inspirational power and style of the first side.

They caught lightning in a bottle here, and I don't think they could have done it again if they tried. A work of towering stature; simply magnificent.

Yes.

Fantastic post!

falconext.png

#11 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

For my 2112th post, I think I responded to something Orf said.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:02 AM

There Slim. You can make another post now.

Slim%202112_zpszasbfo2p.jpg

#13 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

Considering where they were in their history…record company up their asses, coming off the “down the tubes tour”, losing traction…took a lot of moxie for them to pull that off. As Grohl said, ‘Rush are indeed a band…that has balls’

Without Caress of Steel, we probably never get 2112.

I know it's hardly popular to admit this among Rush fans but 2112 never resonated with me like it does with many (most?) Rush fans. I give them all the credit in the world for doing exactly what they wanted to do, in spite of what the record company wanted but I rarely listen to the album anymore. I'd rather spin CoS in it's place.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#14 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 31 July 2015 - 12:48 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love CoS. I believe that was their perception pre-2112. 

Side one of 2112 is great, but between the two, I might pick Fountain for it's raw energy. Awesome!

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#15 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,994 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

Without Caress of Steel, we probably never get 2112.

I know it's hardly popular to admit this among Rush fans but 2112 never resonated with me like it does with many (most?) Rush fans. I give them all the credit in the world for doing exactly what they wanted to do, in spite of what the record company wanted but I rarely listen to the album anymore. I'd rather spin CoS in it's place.

This is how i feel about it. It was their first attempt at that genre.  They sort of got it.

Myself, I have a hard time listening to side 2.  Necromancer though, is awesome. Epic in it's own right.

falconext.png

#16 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Locationghostworks

Posted 31 July 2015 - 01:29 PM

this is bottom of the barrel Rush for me - the sound of a band trying way too hard to 'be' something instead of simply being

I give 2112 its due and proper only in that it encouraged them to forge ahead - it deserves historical recognition for that, but should be shelved otherwise along with Clockwork Angels (it's cringe-worthy sister for almost the exact same reasons) as artifacts only: not for listening

and good lord, side two sounds like FBN out-takes that didn't make the cut

congratulations on your post :)

#17 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:20 PM

Necromancer though, is awesome. Epic in it's own right.

This is Alex at his best, imho.  He never again produced another crazy, jamming solo... alas, Old Rush GREAT, New Rush Good  :D.

Proud Knobhead

#18 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

I agree that side 2 is odd. Tears bores me to well, tears. (Not nearly as bad as Rivendell though on Fly By Night) Twilight Zone is an odd song. I like it but don't love it. As far as Lessons is concerned, I think Lerxst should have let Neil write the song. I want to love Something For Nothing but I merely like it. Passage To Bangkok is the best song by far on side 2.

Rush02.JPG

#19 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

This is Alex at his best, imho.  He never again produced another crazy, jamming solo... alas, Old Rush GREAT, New Rush Good   :D.

Agreed. Necromancer is fucking metal.

Rush02.JPG

#20 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

This was the album they decided from now on we do what we want.  It sounds like it.  I think the production matches what they were trying to do here, though I do remember thinking in the past that it was slightly too polished.

No such thing as 'too polished' with RUSH in my opinion....

Side 2 is kind-of dreadful. 

I feel sorry for you.  Side 2 has my favorite RUSH song ever, "Lessons" and to date, I believe, the only RUSH song with lyrics by Alex.

Lifesons use of acoustic guitars gives even the metal songs an ethereal quality.

I love this record.

"Lessons" is one of the songs which does this...starts off on the Acoustic then brings up the electric side seamlessly.  That section is so cool!

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."