Photo

SP's SJ R40 Review... Mega-ultra Spoilage!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:57 PM

My friends graciously dropped me off in front of the venue before turning left down Montgomery to go find parking.

LateRally's advice was spot-on. They found a free spot just South of Park.

While they were parking, after having checked the box office, which was selling tickets behind the stage and added floor tickets back beyond the mixing board, all over-priced for my blood, I posted myself next to the "hotdog girl" and began asking if anyone had an extra. Eventually, probably after asking 100 times, a dude did. "She couldn't make it" was his explanation. He asked $40. At the time, I thought this was fairly close to face value, but that's because I hadn't memorized the map very well. Turns out it was a $96 ticket (not listed on his pdf print-out). T'was up in 215. Very nice view, somewhat awkward sound. The sound was tremendously improved by partially inserting a foamy earplug in my left ear. This cleared up the bass range considerably. Like with the Beatles, sometimes you can't beat mono... Found out my buddies were in the same section and had an open seat next to them, so I sat with them after my piss break.

So, the show... The concept of retrograding the stage the entire night is very cool. Read the write-up I posted in this forum for more details. The lasers and the disco ball were particularly cool. A little pyro is always nice.

Al's playing was pretty good. I only caught one train-wreck all night, during Hemi, and I think it was Alex, possibly confused by the alternate key - sounded like he played a brief section in the original key to these ears. He approached several solos quite differently than ever before. Not sure if that is due to just being bored of playing them the same old way or if he adopted patterns and motions that are physically less painful. I didn't notice much in the way of flubbing, so, good for him. Neil sounded on-point all night. Ged's playing sounded fine. Ged's voice? Well... I think it's fair to say that he has adopted something that "works" and gets him through, show to show, with minimal yodeling/unintentional voice breaks.

It is, however, just not a great rock sound. His live voice now has more in common with Barbara Streisand than Robert Plant. "It is what it is and whatever..."

Highlights of the night: Jacob's Ladder, Natural Science, Xanadu - dual double-necks and taurus pedals, Cygnus X-1, Lakeside Park, Anthem, What You're Doing, Garden Road snippet and set 1 being over. They played JL, NS, Cyggy and Xan with authoriTAY. They played the remainder serviceably. No gems in set 1. For every excited fan, I saw dozens who were bored. Every song in the first set was a piss break for someone, with the exception of the nutty few.

By the time Animate hit the arena was 1/3 empty and stayed that way, largely, through to the intermission. I went piss during Animate/RtB and the lobby area was PACKED. Alcohol lines were long. People watering their depression due to the giant fah que they were getting from a favorite band. This could explain why even songs during SET 2 were also piss breaks. Even Xanny and NS were piss breaks for many. Too much dranky-drank during set 1... Maybe they need to start making Rush brand Depends disposable undergarments for the shows!!! Or raise the price of beers to $30? Hemi prelude fell flat for me. The alternate key was hard to get used to. Also, throw in Armageddon and Cygnus or something. We've heard 3 or 4 parts of 2112 tons of times. Maybe restrict that to just the Overture to make more time for something rarer... Also, with all the mini drum solos, it would have been cool to have Didacts & Narpets between Lakeside and Anthem. With the way Peart was triggering samples of HF and Cyg for those mini solos, it could have worked very well.

I ran in to Mac! That was very cool. I also saw the owner of Working Man Brewery and had a chance to talk to him for a sec. He had just gotten out of his M&G. I hope EZ and Paige also had good times.

The "HAY" horse was funny.

The videos were endurable.

Glad I went. Ready to go in to full-enjoy mode for LV. Given the pattern Rush have set for this tour, they are likely to swap-out 2 - 4 songs from set 1.

• grep, snow_patrol, LateRally and 2 others like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#2 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:02 PM

Sounds like a wasted night...
  • Eugene Debs likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#3 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

Sounds like a wasted night...

Why? If that's what you got out of the review, it was a wasted read...

#4 Turn the Paige

Turn the Paige

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 24 July 2015 - 05:39 PM

I had an excellent time, Slut Puppy!!!  Glad to hear that you found a ticket.

In terms of location of my seat, it was amazing.  Most previous shows that I can remember, I am usually in front of Alex.  That's always fun, with his ranting, raving, flirting, and throwing picks.  But, I've never been lucky enough to be in front of my Geddy.  That changed last night.  I was directly in front of Geddy. 

The problem, though, and as expected, was me being 4'11" and everyone in front of me a tall and/or big dude.  The good thing was that I was in seat #1, so I was at the end of the row with space before section 1.  So, I was able to move out to the side a bit and get a better view.  Most of the time.  I even used my binoculars which brought them even closer to me!

Regardless of what we think of the set list (I loved some; would have replaced others), they kicked ass.  These guys in their 60's are better than any of the younger crap that's out there now.  Retirement?  Bullshit.  And, I feel a bit differently about Geddy's voice.  Made me cry on some songs.  I much prefer his voice now, rather than the screeching he did way back when.

It was a bittersweet night.   In my humble opinion, always amazing to see Rush (regardless of what they choose as a set list).  But, I started losing it around 2112 for the last few songs.  Good thing, my mascara didn't run, so I didn't look like a raccoon.  I'll be very sorry if this really was the last time I'll get to see them live.

• Peter Griffin, EZrhythm and nicktherushfan2112 like this

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:06 PM

Excellent reviews!!! I'm glad you liked the show.

See? RTB is indeed a piss break song.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#6 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

Last night I listened to Eddie Trunk's podcast where he interviews Alex and gushes all over everything Rush. Slut Puppy's review sounds like an almost complete opposite of what Trunk said. He sure comes across like an enormous fanboy. 

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

#7 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:16 PM

Jeffro - you touch on a good point. There are tons of reviews out there gushing over this tour. I gave praise where I felt it was merited.

Yay, Paige! I'm so glad you enjoyed and that you found a way to have a good view!

Taste is inherently subjective. As far as Ged's voice goes, I also don't prefer the 2112 screech. My preference is the moderate edginess right around Permanent Waves. I heard a lady nearby me last night say, "I like it when he's not singing."

Haha Grep! I did think about all the piss-break comments while I was doing the honors. I made it back in time for the rap video and that was funny.

#8 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:15 PM

Excellent reviews!!! I'm glad you liked the show.

See? RTB is indeed a piss break song.

If you think RTB was a good piss-break tune, then you missed probably the best sounding bass in Geddy's tour collection this year.

KILLER, punchy, dirty, powerful bottom end  awesome ....Fender Precision Bass.  Knocked me back a row.

Anyone that went to and still have yet to go to this tour, spending the kind of dollars that we've seen for tickets would be a complete moron to load themselves up on so much liquids that they will be missing any of the show standing at a urinal for 2 minutes looking at a tile wall listening to the concert echoing through the hallways outside while you piss out $30.00 of beer.

How fucking lame to not be able to hold your fucking beer until intermission. Might as well quit drinking if that is the case.

Enjoy the show, drink at home. It's cheaper too.

• sir clinksalot and EZrhythm like this

#9 LateRally

LateRally

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:34 PM

Enjoyed your review Slut. Agree with a lot of what you said. Goes without saying, a lot of the concert experience depends on the energy around you. I was in section 128 a few rows off the floor, and there were definitely differences from what you described. On the floor in front of us, everyone was standing, so we did the same. And hardly anyone left for piss breaks or anything else. Lots of singing along, people rocking out, dancing, etc. I really enjoyed this show, and I thought the setlist was one of the best we've gotten in the last several tours. Set 2 and the encore in particular were pretty awesome.

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 24 July 2015 - 09:49 PM

If you think RTB was a good piss-break tune, then you missed probably the best sounding bass in Geddy's tour collection this year.

KILLER, punchy, dirty, powerful bottom end  awesome ....Fender Precision Bass.  Knocked me back a row.

Anyone that went to and still have yet to go to this tour, spending the kind of dollars that we've seen for tickets would be a complete moron to load themselves up on so much liquids that they will be missing any of the show standing at a urinal for 2 minutes looking at a tile wall listening to the concert echoing through the hallways outside while you piss out $30.00 of beer.

How fucking lame to not be able to hold your fucking beer until intermission. Might as well quit drinking if that is the case.

Enjoy the show, drink at home. It's cheaper too.

Dude,

1) I don't have to like every song. And yeah, more often that not I skip out for it. I'm entitled.

2) It's more like a perfectly timed 6 minutes, because I get a beer on the way back. There's benefits to knowing the setlist.

3) Its a running joke for me - just like bricking.

4) What is your fucking problem? Don't you ever fucking talk to me like that again.

#11 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Dude,

1) I don't have to like every song. And yeah, more often that not I skip out for it. I'm entitled.

2) It's more like a perfectly timed 6 minutes, because I get a beer on the way back. There's benefits to knowing the setlist.

3) Its a running joke for me - just like bricking.

4) What is your fucking problem? Don't you ever fucking talk to me like that again.

DUDE

You DON'T have to like every song.

I like the song.

I dislike drunks at concerts.

And even though I wasn't targeting you as the drunk at the concerts, I only targeted RTB as a "Piss-Break song" because I got something positive out of the tune this year and also...

I'LL FUCKING TALK TO ANYONE ANY FUCKING WAY I FUCKING WANT TO....

dude.

#12 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:23 AM

Great reviews, really looking forward to my 2 shows next week. 

As for drinking at shows, not for me at all. We'll throw down a couple in the parking lot before going in but that's about it. I go to the show to see the band. Same applies to sporting events. I'll probably have 1 or two while I'm watching warmups at a hockey game but that's about it. 

People who get stupid drunk at shows annoy me and I just don't get it. 

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#13 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

The hell? I'm labeled as a drunk cuz I took a piss during RTB?

• Slut Puppy likes this

#14 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

LateRally, that's an interesting observation. Maybe the show just wasn't designed to be engaging to the part of the venue I was in. So, fewer people remained "in" to the show, lacking material they knew or hoped to hear. I don't recall Alex or Ged ever really looking our way or playing "to us." Ged made an effort to interact with the upper level on his side though.

Along those lines, and tying in the topic of "piss breaks," I myself didn't really have to piss that bad and have definitely held it longer. I think I actually took a nu Rush break. The only song they played, to that point, that I didn't like was OLV, but yeah. Just wanted to bail for a minute or two.

#15 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

OLV is a good alternate. But knowing that RTB was a couple of songs behind it..... well, you know. There are certain traditions, and things that we just have to do to stay in character.

#16 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

The hell? I'm labeled as a drunk cuz I took a piss during RTB?

Maybe he was hesitant to suggest an enlarged prostate?  :)

#17 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,718 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:01 PM

These guys in their 60's are better than any of the younger crap that's out there now.

Hyperbole like this is a good way to make all your other opinions suspect.

Modern music has plenty of acts that are straight-up better, especially in a live performance, than sexagenarian Rush.

• nickslikk2112 likes this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#18 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

Hyperbole like this is a good way to make all your other opinions suspect.

Modern music has plenty of acts that are straight-up better, especially in a live performance, than sexagenarian Rush.

Don't know about plenty of better young live acts...

Akerfeldt from Opeth says there are only three live bands left - and Rush sure as Hell ain't one of 'em.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

LateRally, that's an interesting observation. Maybe the show just wasn't designed to be engaging to the part of the venue I was in. So, fewer people remained "in" to the show, lacking material they knew or hoped to hear. I don't recall Alex or Ged ever really looking our way or playing "to us." Ged made an effort to interact with the upper level on his side though.

Along those lines, and tying in the topic of "piss breaks," I myself didn't really have to piss that bad and have definitely held it longer. I think I actually took a nu Rush break. The only song they played, to that point, that I didn't like was OLV, but yeah. Just wanted to bail for a minute or two.

San Jose is a strange city for events, the people always lack excitement and exhuberance as experienced in other cities. Around me (Floor Row 25, far Ged's side) there were only handful of fans rockin out to the extent that I was and that wasn't the only time. I attended a Sharks hockey playoff game and a small section of visiting Montreal Canadian's fans were more lively and fun than ALL OF THE San Jose fans.

#20 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:55 AM

But during 2112 we DID get a HEY HORSE!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users