#2 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:55 PM

All that gravity likely means if life did develop it's all very small.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#3 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:02 PM

Firing up my Rocinante right now! Hope there's no black hole there. I'll say hi to Apollo and Dionysus if there is.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

The sewer pipe queen

Dangles my dream
Makes all that I've seen
Seem so obscene - Kings X, Skeptical Winds

#4 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

There is a black hole nearby.

Cygnus is a big constellation, with stars from a pretty broad location.

Cygnus X-1 is (most likely) a black hole. The closest to Earth. In fact, the distance from Earth to Cygnus X-1 is significantly closer (by about 8000 light years)  than the distance to Kepler-452b.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#5 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:25 PM

Don't think that's right as I heard in a radio interview about an hour ago that Kepler-452b is about 1400 light years away.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

#6 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

You're right. I misread the number and was off by an order of magnitude.

So this planet is significantly closer than the black hole. About 25% the distance.

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Would take the Enterprise NCC-1701 about two months to get there from Earth at Warp 6.

• OldRUSHfan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users