13 replies to this topic

#1 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

We're taking our 8 year old with us to see Rush in Vegas. It's his first concert. He is pretty sensitive to loud noise in general. We want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible and protect his hearing. Our seats are in the upper level towards the back of the arena.Looking on Amazon, there's an overwhelming variety of earmuffs. Any advice on what we should be looking for will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:37 PM

the foam earplugs are probably best. will muffle the sound and not become too hot/heavy/tiresome (headphones and muffs are so 70's) for the ears/head...

#3 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

We're going with muffs because he prefers headphones to ear buds when he's gaming or watching videos. He doesn't like stuff stuck inside his ears.

#4 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:47 PM

different sensitivities; I can't stand my ears getting all hot with phones/muffs... and I love loud music, obviously, having been to 100 shows or so sans plugs... 

#5 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Yeah I'm the same way, the louder the better. I may pay for it one day. But so far, my hearing hasn't suffered in the least.
  • DarthLen likes this

#6 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:03 PM

In the same boat; my hearing is super sensitive - super quiet is difficult, 'cause then I hear needles drop on carpet, every little creak, groan, etc... eesh. 

#7 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:05 PM

My little one will be using these at the airshow this weekend.

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o03_s00
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#8 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

The shooting muffs probably work best like JARG got but they can feel really binding. I'd have a pair of foam plugs in my pocket just in case those don't work out.

#9 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:59 PM

I'd just get the ones with the highest NRR. I wish I would have known that hearing loss is usually cumulative way back when. This constant ringing and upper frequency loss is no fun.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#10 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

My little one will be using these at the airshow this weekend.

http://www.amazon.co...ailpage_o03_s00

I was looking at those and was getting ready to pull the trigger. I asked him what color he wanted and UGH!!! "I don't like that kind. They have them at school and they pull my hair!"

Need to find some with cushion across the whole headband.

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

We're going with muffs because he prefers headphones to ear buds when he's gaming or watching videos. He doesn't like stuff stuck inside his ears.

Very wise.  As a safety professional I suggest you look at this noise calculator.

Anything over 85 dB over eight hours is illegal in the UK.  Rush at close range will be many, many times louder than that, so the safe exposure duration is much shorter.

It is impossible to tell how loud the band will be at a certain range in a certain hall.  Doubling the distance quarters the noise energy level you absorb according to the inverse square law.

I always wear shaped earplugs at gigs these days, which reduce the noise level entering my ears by 20 dB, or in other words reduce the destructive energy by a factor of 64.

I have lost a lot of hearing round the 8000 Hz range in my left ear, which means I lose bits of conversation.  I hear the words but can't tell which ones they are.

I weep for all the kids with earbuds in on the train, listening to music that I can make out from ten feet away.  They are going deaf, as sure as the sun rising tomorrow.

• MrSkeptic likes this

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

I was looking at those and was getting ready to pull the trigger. I asked him what color he wanted and UGH!!! "I don't like that kind. They have them at school and they pull my hair!"

Need to find some with cushion across the whole headband.

You may need to bring him to a store first and try. Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops will have lots to choose from
  • 2220020 and Drewsifer like this

#13 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

You may need to bring him to a store first and try. Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops will have lots to choose from

Excellent idea! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Taking him to a store to try several out to find a set he's comfy in will be the best bet.

#14 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 15 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Mine wore these

http://solutions.3m....8&rt=d&MDR=true
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN