4 replies to this topic

#1 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

I was thinking about them playing Losing It.  It is clear that Geddy is not playing the keyboard part... he is just holding down a key to play a sequencer...But that sequence wouldn't be in the banks of samplers that they have as part of their gear.  If they wanted to pull out Big Money or something tomorrow night, I'm sure those key parts are all stored forevermore on hard drive.

So... would Geddy have re-played the part, finding a similar sound, and made a sequence of it, or would he literally be crawling around in the basement of Anthem or his house to find the master multi tracks of Signals to upload a sample of the keyboard track to a HD?  Would they have at some point sampled all the key parts from all the albums just to have them in case?  

At first I thought he'd just have his keys tech take care of it, but would his gear tech have access to the original multi tracks of all the Rush albums? 

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#2 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:08 PM

That's a question for Dave G, but I'm guessing they knew during tour rehearsals that they'd probably be doing that song, so he probably had Geranios take care of it then.

Hey...where's Perry?

#3 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:19 PM

Ah-- you could essentially grab the part directly from a hi-res version of the song, or the master tapes. Drop it in Reason and loop it. The just unearthed the master recordings for Sectors...
  • timbale likes this

#4 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

They put out Signals in 5.1 for Sectors, so sampling the isolated keys probably wasn't too much of an ordeal.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#5 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

Right - I wasn't thinking about those remasters... thanks all!

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users