13 replies to this topic

#1 Tench Frickler

Tench Frickler

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:40 PM

I have seen all the commercials on TV about shingles and stuff, but never really understood what they were until last night. I've got 'em. And I know what they mean when they talk about the pain. I dont want to shoot myself or anything, but man who knew a rash could hurt like this. 

Anybody ever had them? I have been to the doctor for some meds to clear them up, but any tips on somethng for the pain? Tylenol aint getting the job done

Tench

#2 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:43 PM

d00d - I've had 'em

very, very rough few weeks

I can not remember what was done for pain, but probably something topical? Tylenol-level strength? I think I was able to work through most of the ordeal, so it can't have been very strong stuff.

Very sorry man.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#3 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

Ouch. Had it many years ago. Surely your doc can prescribe something for pain. Otherwise try a lot of ibuprofen. Good luck.

#4 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

Haven't had them but I understand standard pain killers don't cut it as its nerve pain. Can your doc prescribe something to help?

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#5 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

It is best to get treatment immediately. Treatment can include:

• Pain relievers to help ease the pain: The pain can be very bad, and prescription painkillers may be necessary.
  • Anti-viral medicine: This medicine may be prescribed when a doctor diagnoses shingles within 72 hours of the rash first appearing. The earlier anti-viral treatment is started, the better it works. Anti-viral medicines include famciclovir, valacyclovir, and acyclovir. These can lessen the pain and the amount of time the pain lasts. 
  • Nerve blocks: Given for intense pain, these injections (shots) contain a numbing anesthetic and sometimes a corticosteroid.
  • Corticosteroids: To lower swelling and pain, some patients may get corticosteroid pills with their anti-viral medicine. This treatment is not common because it can make the rash spread.

#6 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:25 PM

If it's on your face go see a doctor.  Apparently blindness can occur.

#7 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

If it doesn't get all over the place, it doesn't belong in your face!

These ring a bell:

• Anti-viral medicine: This medicine may be prescribed when a doctor diagnoses shingles within 72 hours of the rash first appearing. The earlier anti-viral treatment is started, the better it works. Anti-viral medicines include famciclovir, valacyclovir, and acyclovir. These can lessen the pain and the amount of time the pain lasts. 
  • Nerve blocks: Given for intense pain, these injections (shots) contain a numbing anesthetic and sometimes a corticosteroid.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:52 PM

My old Dad had it.  Tough old Ulsterman in his prime, but shingles poll-axed him for ten days.

I've not even had chickenpox, I think.

#9 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:01 PM

If you're over 60, you should get the shingles vaccination. It isn't 100% effective (but neither is almost anything else) but if you get them again, they should be less severe.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#10 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Same here.
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#11 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

My old Dad had it.  Tough old Ulsterman in his prime, but shingles poll-axed him for ten days.

Seriously not fun to get as an adult. I got it in 1997 and I was just a total mass of itchiness and spots for a week. I had spots everywhere, chicken pox is no respecter of the erogenous zones. :(

#12 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Had it about a year ago.  It's definitely good to see a doctor as quickly as possible because the meds can be quite effective early on to minimize symptoms and shorten the duration.  Also important because it's contagious.

I saw the doc a bit on the late side but still early enough to benefit.  It was still quite painful though, and the pain lasted several weeks.  Took well over a month for the rash to fully disappear.  I double-dosed Advil every 4-6 hours, which helped a great deal.  Allowed me to be functional instead of debilitated.

Strange experience, but all-in-all I think I had it much better than a lot of folks.  I feel bad for people who have it on their face.  Mine was from the center of my chest, wrapping around to my spine, following the exact path of a major nerve.  I think that's pretty typical.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#13 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:01 PM

I had it on my face. On my head between my eye and my ear in that area between your cheekbone and your forehead. It was only the size of a
silver dollar and luckily it did not spread to my eye. The pain was not too bad that I recall, it was just super itchy. Still, not something I want to go through again. It was almost 20 years ago, so I don't remember what they gave me for it.

#14 Tench Frickler

Tench Frickler

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been to the doctor and given Valtrex. The biggest problem now is I have bee deactivated on the kidney transplant list until I get this cleared up along with blood pressure spikes.

tench

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users