Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 July 2015 - 12:56 PM

Nice video from the BbC.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=CQLShreu26w

Yes, good report. I've heard about 15 different pronunciations of Pluto's largest moon, Charon... "Sharen" - "Karen" - "Char-on"...

I think I like the Brit's way best - "Car-on". Everything sounds better in Brit.

Couple other notes:

Was watching a special last night on this encounter and was really pleased to hear that some of the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh, the discoverer or Pluto, is on board New Horizons. Nice touch, NASA.

Also find it funny that they're finding Mickey's dog all over the face of this aptly named world

pluto-on-pluto.jpg

...and on the back end...

giphy.gif

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#62 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,752 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

It's "car-on" based on the Greek pronunciation (you know, the people from whose mythology we get Charon).

• SJS and Slut Puppy like this

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#63 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

It's "car-on" based on the Greek pronunciation (you know, the people from whose mythology we get Charon).

It's not Greek mythology anymore. As part of the bailout, it's now German mythology.
  • bytor11 and The Macallan like this

Hey...where's Perry?

#64 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

I'm going with the "Sharon" pronunciation.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#65 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 July 2015 - 01:30 PM

If NdeGT says it's Sharon, then it must be Sharon  :all hail  blue:  

Austerity...not for pussies

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

#66 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 25 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

**Bumpity Bump**

NEW HORIZONS STATUS

https://www.nasa.gov...th-new-horizons

While you are getting hammered with your friends and family next New Years, the folks in the NASA bunker will be monitoring the closest approach of the New Horizons spacecraft to Kuiper Belt Object 2014 MU69. It's about 20 miles across, possibly 2 or 3 chunks of rock, about 4 billion miles from Earth and about 1 billion past Pluto.  It was discovered by Hubble about 8 years after New Horizons launched. 

Closest approach will be 1/1/19, 12:33AM EST and will come within 2,200 miles of the surface(s). 

Amazing.

• Three Eyes and SJS like this

neil-presto-scarf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users