33 replies to this topic

#1 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

These two don't sound that much alike but they are structured similarly in the way they both have long soft beginnings and then rock out the rest of the way. A lot of bands have probably done this but these two are unique in how both their 1st and 2nd parts are quite dissimilar to each other.

• grep likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#2 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:48 AM

Judas Priest - Beyond The Realms Of Death

Styx - Suite Madame Blue

ELO/Def Leppard (cover) 1058 overture.

Same intro and chords.;

• Three Eyes likes this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#3 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

^^^ Seriously they do. Wow.

• grep likes this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:09 AM

Right?

I have the 3 of them in my Itunes playlist since 2008 when I figured it out. back to back to back.

The Def Leppard cover came out and i said to myself,,, that sounds like Judas Priest. Holy Shit!! Then once day I was listening to Styx and it was the trifecta.  Bam.

:EMERIL BAM crop:

• Three Eyes likes this

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:17 AM

These two don't sound that much alike but they are structured similarly in the way they both have long soft beginnings and then rock out the rest of the way. A lot of bands have probably done this but these two are unique in how both their 1st and 2nd parts are quite dissimilar to each other.

Wow. I think that Rik and the boys saw Rush next door and were going for it.

I've been a huge Triumph fan for years and never made the connection b4 tonite. Damn.

#6 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 04:27 AM

^^^ I also didn't realize it before tonight.

I just listened to Holiday from the Scorpions thinking it might be a 4th one with that progression but nope not quite.

• grep likes this

#7 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

Every self-respecting southern hard rock band of the 1970s had to have its big five minute end of song guitar solo jam.

Free Bird (1973) (Apparently it's featured in Kingsman: The Secret Service during a fight scene.)

Green Grass and High Tides (1975)

Gator Country (1978)

Highway Song (1979)

#8 RollDeBonz

RollDeBonz

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationHome of the Twilight Zone

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

ROCK in the USA-What I Like About You-Satisfaction. All three use the same 3 chords in the same order and similar strumming patterns. There are variations, especially Satisfaction because the rhythm guitar is secondary to the main riff. I noticed the similarities playing Satisfaction on Rocksmith.
  • grep and Three Eyes like this

#9 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:18 PM

Back to Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death, I thought Metallica's Fade to Black borrowed heavily from that tune

• grep likes this

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 04 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Back to Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death, I thought Metallica's Fade to Black borrowed heavily from that tune

Fair point. Will have to check that out.

#11 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

apparently released in 1973 so which came first  :shrug:  

#12 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

^^^ What other song does that sound like?

#13 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

Vanusa Bloody Vanusa.

Edit:

http://plus55.com/cu...razilian-singer

#14 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:39 PM

^^^ What other song does that sound like?

heh heh sorry about that - I made assumptions

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:56 PM

^^^ Oh. lol. My metal education is spotty even with Sabbath. But those are both great songs.

Check this out...

HAS BLACK SABBATH PLAGIARIZED A BRAZILIAN SINGER?

One of the British band’s classics sounds far too similar to a tune recorded earlier by a famous Brazilian singer

By plus55 

APR 28, 2016

You don’t have to know anything about music to notice the astonishing similarities between “Sabbath Bloody Sabbath,” one of the most well-known songs by British rock group Black Sabbath, and an older tune recorded by Brazilian singer Vanusa.

“Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” was released in December 1973, and went on to become an instant classic. Four months earlier, though, Vanusa – a singer who has fallen into obscurity in the past 20 years – had released her album Vanusa – 4, with one track in English titled “What to Do.” You’ll have trouble saying which is which before vocals begin.

The case is curious because, by all means, Vanusa isn’t a Brazilian artist known worldwide. This is even more curious for Brazilians, who grew accustomed to hearing the blonde singer lending her voice to melodramatic songs about love. The fact that she recorded a pretty decent heavy metal tune has blindsided many Brazilian music lovers.

Some details in the whole affair give fuel to accusations of plagiarism against the British group. Guitarist and songwriter Tony Iommi had hit writer’s block at the time, and the band was not able to record a new album. “I panicked because I didn’t have a single idea about what to write. It might have been the drugs, it could have been the pressure, but either way, I felt it was my fault,” he admitted in a 2013 interview. And then, one day, just like that, the band had a riff. “We almost thought that we were finished as a band … Once Tony came out with the initial riff for ‘Sabbath Bloody Sabbath’ we went ‘We’re baaaack’,” said bassist Geezer Butler in an interview from 2001.

Coincidence or plagiarism? The riffs, as well as some vocal parts, seem way too similar.

But Vanusa, who would be the likeliest candidate to take offense, is the last one trying to inflame the affair. “I think it was indeed a musical coincidence. I heard their song for the first time about two years ago, and I was convinced that they didn’t copy me – nor did my songwriters copied them,” she told plus55.

The 68-year-old singer (the same age as original Black Sabbath lead singer Ozzy – another coincidence) says she won’t take matters to court. But the little controversy has had an effect on her life, as “What to Do” will be in her live repertoire for the first time. “This song has never made into my set; it was somehow lost. But a lot of people are now asking me to play it, and do you know what? I love it! My band and I are rehearsing it and we should play it live soon,” she said.

HAS BLACK SABBATH PLAGIARIZED A BRAZILIAN SINGER?

• grep likes this

#16 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

Wow - I didn't know that story, very odd musical coincidence. 

#17 bartok

bartok

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:30 PM

Is this the MMMBop thread?

#18 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:58 PM

^^^ No, it's the One Direction thread....as in there's one direction out the door, bitch. :)

• pjbear05 likes this

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

These two riffs sound somewhat similar to me.

Ozzy's "Diarrhea of a Madman", riff begins 20 seconds in.

Enya's "Cursum Perficio", riff begins at beginning.

#20 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

Fooled Around and Fell In Love

and

If This Is It - Huey Lewis and the News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users