31 replies to this topic

#1 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:09 AM

I've been wanting to do this for years.

The kids got together and got me a bass for Fathers Day!

It's just a cheap Ibanez with a Squire amp, but I can learn on it!  

The Gedclone rises!

The Counterparts Hit Kitteh is back!  

#2 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:15 AM

rok and fukkin roll dude!

goodluck

#3 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:29 AM

I'm doing an hour of basic lessons/practice a day for now until I get my hands used to it.  I'll ramp it up as soon as my hands feel really comfortable.  The funny part about it is that when I picked up the thing, it felt right.  Everybody in my family is a practicing musician.  Well on my side, anyway. 

#4 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:50 AM

I remember you

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#5 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:11 AM

Know who else received a cheap Ibanez bass guitar and Squire amp from his kids?

Hold on to your dreams, bruh. :)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Squier?

#7 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

mmm I like that jazzy bass solo - very nice

#8 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

Squier?

No that's a different make. Squire Amps are made by men of high social standing who own and live on estates in rural areas, especially the chief landowners of such areas.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#9 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

I'm doing an hour of basic lessons/practice a day for now until I get my hands used to it.  I'll ramp it up as soon as my hands feel really comfortable.  The funny part about it is that when I picked up the thing, it felt right.  Everybody in my family is a practicing musician.  Well on my side, anyway. 

If you can get an hour in with virgin finger tips you're a freak of nature.

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

If you can get an hour in with virgin finger tips you're a freak of nature.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. 

GOB, depending on your strings, your fingertips will get sore pretty quick until you build some callouses. It doesn't take that long, but you'll be raw for a little while. It's normal.   But you'll also run into endurance limits (your hands will get tired) so things will even out until you build the proper strength.

I'm happy to see you getting started - good for you!  Do you have an idea of how you want to get started learning? Songs, excercises, scales?  Just curious.

falconext.png

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:19 PM

The other thing is - don't give up early. You may want to. Don't. Whenver you feel like you're not getting anywhere, work through it just keep going with your excercises.

You will see improvement after a suprisingly short time. Even if you're getting bored with your routine, switch it up a little just to keep your fingers going so as to build the needed muscle memory. If you're playing scales and feel like you're hitting the wall.. look up a tab and try to play a simple part. Then when you hear that melody, you've accomplished something.  That kind of thing.

I've been playing less than 3 years (or should I say been learning for less than 3 years) and this is part of what i've experienced, and still am.  It just takes practice and perserverance.

falconext.png

#12 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

I've heard it recommended that a couple of shorter practices per day, like 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening is better than one longer practice. Can't say I've noticed the difference anecdotally though. Thoughts?

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#13 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,707 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

I've heard it recommended that a couple of shorter practices per day, like 30 min in the morning and 30 min in the evening is better than one longer practice. Can't say I've noticed the difference anecdotally though. Thoughts?

Well 30 mins is kind of short, in my view. I feel like i'm just getting started.   But going with what you've said.. when I have lots of free time I'll play for an hour in the morning, and similar later in the afternoon. It feels like the PM practice is more effective for a lot of reasons.... and aftr having done that for a couple of days I'd felt I was getting somewhere.

So yeah, there may be some basis in it.

falconext.png

#14 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

WB, Gobby!

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#15 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:23 AM

Fuck real basses! Go with a balloon bass!

His band is called Unpopable. lol.

#16 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

As a beginning player the time will depend on ability to stay focused and finger strength/tolerance of pain.

I average a bit of time each MONTH now.  Not looking to get better, playing is just a tool for me (to accomplish a song) at this stage.  Right now I have zero callouses, but thankfully my technique is good enough and playing comes back pretty quick that I don't have to do 50 takes to get the song done.  Admittedly, that's not what you asked but it's an example of what's relative.  If you view playing the instrument as a craft, then it's a lifelong, daily pursuit.  If it's just a hobby, then the time devoted will vary greatly.  I balance my music time between the technical side (mixing) and playing.  I haven't picked up a guitar out of a great desire to have "fun" with it in probably 5 or more years.  Even before that I'd only have small moments of inspiration where an instrument called to me (drums for a brief time 10 years ago, for example).

Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#17 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, peeps.

I've been working on the basics at this point.  My fingers are fairly tough to begin with, so not much pain, LOLOLOL.

The funny thing is, when I picked it up, it just felt right.

#18 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:28 PM

The other thing is - don't give up early. You may want to. Don't. Whenver you feel like you're not getting anywhere, work through it just keep going with your excercises.

There comes a point when an exercise is just not able to be pulled of in the way that you want it, to which I found the best remedy is to just take a break. It can be for a few minutes or up until the next day. I have found that after the break the exercise is easier if not quickly accomplished. There seems to be some magical phenomenon that occurs during that break which is most likely just your brain absorbing what you are attempting to do.

So true but that probably depends on each musician as many learn, learn quicker or more efficiently in different ways. I have gone through sessions where I would practice an exercise for a length of time and then switch to experimenting and jamming with notes that are fun and entertaining to play with less concentration. After which I would then go back to the exercises.

#19 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

My right hand has had plenty working out. Left hand, not so much.

#20 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,706 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

There comes a point when an exercise is just not able to be pulled of in the way that you want it, to which I found the best remedy is to just take a break. It can be for a few minutes or up until the next day. I have found that after the break the exercise is easier if not quickly accomplished. There seems to be some magical phenomenon that occurs during that break which is most likely just your brain absorbing what you are attempting to do.

Exactly right. I've taken a decade long break from guitar so I figure I should be able to sweep like Yngve by now. But I'm going to let it ride for a few more years because I want to get as good as Chet Atkins.

Seriously, you are right about that though. Breaks do help. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users