8 replies to this topic

#1 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:19 AM

I always thought I was doing good by Gaia by not burning wood cuttings from the woodlot on my little sliver of rural property, I must have at least a dozen piles of branches of various sizes andstates of decay. I now read that trees(and branch piles, too, I'd assume) begin returning carbon to the atmosphere after death...so what gives??? By carbon, are they talkin' CO2 or also straight carbon, which I'd never thought was much in the atmosphere. I'd also assumed by not burning, and hopefully putting back in the soil at some point(hugelkulture, anyone?), I was being pretty awesome...so, am I awesome, or not so much???
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#2 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:15 AM

I'm sorry. I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
  • Planet X-1 likes this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:10 AM

I always thought I was doing good by Gaia by not burning wood cuttings from the woodlot on my little sliver of rural property, I must have at least a dozen piles of branches of various sizes andstates of decay. I now read that trees(and branch piles, too, I'd assume) begin returning carbon to the atmosphere after death...so what gives??? By carbon, are they talkin' CO2 or also straight carbon, which I'd never thought was much in the atmosphere. I'd also assumed by not burning, and hopefully putting back in the soil at some point(hugelkulture, anyone?), I was being pretty awesome...so, am I awesome, or not so much???

The termites thank you for their easy meals.

After all you know.... wood doesn't rot on it's own. If it were not for termites, the planet would be covered in dead wood...

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#4 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:27 AM

The trees can only return as much CO2 as they've consumed, when you burn them. You might need to bury them to stop them releasing it when they decay, not sure. Of course when you burn coal or other fossil fuel that's only returning CO2 that's already been removed from the atmosphere as well I think, but that's been consumed over millions of years.

#5 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

Burn...baby...BURN

jimi.gif

Proud Knobhead

#6 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,466 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:32 PM

Gases will be released no matter what.  Termites fart

#7 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:47 PM

Actually rotting wood is home to many types of molds and spores that can cause respiratory problems....or worse house unsavory pests and rodents.

Proud Knobhead

#8 fast eddie

fast eddie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:25 PM

Of course wood breaks down over time even without termites...I had assumed since I wasn't burning that I was keeping that co2 out of the air, but apparently not so much...still, it's a great soil amendment, there's even an ag technique of cropping over covered wood debris piles...not sure if I'll ever get around to that, prolly just scatter the piles after they are nice 'n crumbly...
< He's flippin' off The Man, see...

#9 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,286 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:14 AM

I think you should have a bonfire with a weeny and marshmallow roast.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users