64 replies to this topic

#21 hammerofthor

hammerofthor

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

Fantastic song, but I'm a little surprised they would play it. With Alex and Neil's ailments, and Geddy's voice (although he sounds pretty great so far), this song might just hit a little too close to home.

#22 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Fantastic song, but I'm a little surprised they would play it. With Alex and Neil's ailments, and Geddy's voice (although he sounds pretty great so far), this song might just hit a little too close to home.

I think this is why they will play it. Because it describes the current situation. If they can do a 'getting older' song like The Garden, then why not this one?

• chemistry1973 and EZrhythm like this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#23 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

Should have played it last tour, missed opportunity, next...

• fenderjazz likes this

#24 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

RIGHT!! Losing It and Nobodys Hero should have been played instead of the oft retread The Pass and Red Sector A.

#25 sir clinksalot

sir clinksalot

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:18 PM

Sounds great ... I don't think they could end a set with this, but they really brought the heavy towards the end of the song so I do think it'd fit in nicely. Hope they aren't taking anything away and just playing longer. 

Could just be for the Toronto shows they are filming? 

Also, is it too much to hope that they'll play all of the songs from all of the setlists at the Forum show since it may be the last one. =)

- Gregg

For the latest Theme Park related news, check out my site: http://www.parkjourney.com/

#26 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

They should have played it last tour, but they didn't, so they shouldn't play it this tour.  A song they've never played live.  Ever.

Makes sense!

• Slut Puppy and EZrhythm like this

#27 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

Maybe the strings patch is a place-holder and they'll be doing the song with a special guest.

Yes and will be performed live for the video shoot. They continue to soundcheck it to keep the chops on it. But I have heard there will be at least one guest violinist performing for the video shoot. I say at least because I have heard that the original recording is two seperate overlapped dueling solos with delay to fatten it up. 

• State of Grace, Slut Puppy and EZrhythm like this

#28 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yes and will be performed live for the video shoot. They continue to soundcheck it to keep the chops on it. But I have heard there will be at least one guest violinist performing for the video shoot. I say at least because I have heard that the original recording is two seperate overlapped dueling solos with delay to fatten it up. 

Audrey returns?

#29 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:14 PM

Ben Mink!

• State of Grace and fast eddie like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#30 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:28 PM

Ben Mink!

So I have heard. Though there was that pod cast some weeks ago with one othe violinist from the CA tour (Jacob?) He was mentioning some additional Rush work as I recall. 

** I just went back and listened to the podcast to confirm the above about what Jacob said and while he did reveal a nugget, it was in no way in relation to what we're discussing here, so I admit. I was incorrect. 

• Slut Puppy likes this

#31 Pmover

Pmover

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

So I have heard. Though there was that pod cast some weeks ago with one othe violinist from the CA tour (Jacob?) He was mentioning some additional Rush work as I recall. 

** I just went back and listened to the podcast to confirm the above about what Jacob said and while he did reveal a nugget, it was in no way in relation to what we're discussing here, so I admit. I was incorrect. 

Here's what led to my confused memory. Have a listen begining at 31:05 and ending at 33:30. With all due props to Rushcast who have some really great podcasts that they've done. 

#32 xbloodfartx

xbloodfartx

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:45 PM

They should have played it last tour, but they didn't, so they shouldn't play it this tour.  A song they've never played live.  Ever.

Makes sense!

Why go all fanboy on me?  They had a fucking string ensemble last tour and didn't play it.  The ONLY song in the catalog with electric violin and they said, nah, next time.  Makes perfect sense.

#33 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:50 PM

They had a fucking string ensemble last tour and didn't play it.  The ONLY song in the catalog with electric violin and they said, nah, next time.  Makes perfect sense.

I can't disagree with this.

However, just because they didn't do it last time - that does not mean that they shouldn't do it now.

• State of Grace likes this

#34 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:27 AM

*Ben Mink continues to reside in Toronto. It wouldn't make sense to bring him along on the tour just for one song.

*They sound check the whole tune

*Ged's adds a nice raised vocal part for the last line

• State of Grace likes this

#35 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

They didn't play it on the last tour because they didn't feel that they had "lost it" yet.  Perhaps now they finally realize the song fits them.

#36 bill1971

bill1971

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:58 PM

Probably stating the obvious but I'm sure it will be before Subdivisions. Geddy would probably introduce it by saying "now for something special, a song we never played live before....I think..."

#37 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

Not sure I liked how they chose to end the song.

#38 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:48 PM

I didn't mind at all how Ged took the vocal up a 5th or so there at the end. Sounded nice.

He did have a pretty heinous vocal flub earlier in the song, but hopefully with continued practice he'll nail it.

He's having trouble mid-range, where his passaggios are, not at the extreme high or low ends of his range.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#39 State of Grace

State of Grace

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada Eh!

Posted 02 June 2015 - 05:58 PM

Thank you for posting that video -- wow!  Love this song so much!!!!  Got chills listening to the soundcheck!  I thought FOR SURE they would play it on the CA tour when they announced the string accompaniment.  When they did't... I resided that I would never hear that song live.  Hope remains now...  My son and I will be at the Friday, June 19th Toronto show.  I soooooo hope they do it that night!!!!  I'll be crushed if they perform it at the Wednesday Toronto show or just LA.    

Hearing that soaring solo (instrumental) section in a large arena will be UNREAL!

• Slut Puppy likes this

#40 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:41 PM

Why go all fanboy on me? They had a fucking string ensemble last tour and didn't play it. The ONLY song in the catalog with electric violin and they said, nah, next time. Makes perfect sense.

Yeah but wouldn't you want hear it regardless. It's a great song.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users