76 replies to this topic

#1 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

So I just spoiled myself, in the expectation that they won't tour the UK anyway, and watched a phone video from Saint Paul, Minnesota on YouTube. And I was amazed to see performances of Lakeside Park and What You're Doing, two tunes I haven't seen them play since 1978 - and even a tiny snippet of Garden Road, one they stopped playing before I first saw them in 1977. I actually felt a sense of disbelief, like what I was seeing wasn't real. I could never have imagined that they'd do that.

Like a lot of people I was disappointed that the last tour ignored all of their '70s material save a brief section from 2112. Received wisdom has it that Geddy just can't sing the old tunes any more, and on this evidence I'm afraid that's correct. Nor did these performances seem to have any of the tight, adrenalised power of old - they really did seem more than a little subdued and perfunctory; sluggish even.

Nonetheless I actually feel really touched that they've done this - without them even having come to the UK I feel they've done something for me; reached out to the ATWAS generation.

Just watched What You're Doing again. Can't believe it. Shame about the guitar solo though.

#2 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

Oh god, Geddy's voice is gone, and Alex's arthritis is pretty evident in the drop in control he seems to have.
An awful shame. Wish I'd gotten the chance to see them more when they were still closer to their peak. 

This has to be their last tour. They can't keep going like this, for the sake of their damn legacy.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#3 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:56 PM

It's not just the guitar and vocals, the whole thing is a bit shambolic and perfunctory really.

I'm fortunate enough to have seen them play What You're Doing as a penultimate encore in 1977, in fact I think that was the only time - and it was a different band, Geddy prowling the front of the stage excitedly, Alex rooted to the spot but coaxing fiercely fluid, aggressive licks from his guitar inbetween unleashing the fearsome power of the song's Led Zeppelin Junior riff, Neil knocking the living daylights out of his kit - the whole thing very powerful, bloody loud but assured - and tight as a gnat's vagina.

But of course it was a different band. It was 38 years ago, and they were in their 20s, on top of their game and excited about playing to growing audiences. The simple fact of it being attempted in 2015 warms my heart, especially after the last tour two years ago.

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,671 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

This is clearly it.

It's over guys. It was a great ride, but they can't do it anymore.  Sigh.

falconext.png

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 25 May 2015 - 06:24 AM

I like the back-to-basics look, with the amps sitting on top of the chairs and the mics no doubt held down with gaffer tape :)

#6 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

Performer slows his frantic pace
In pain and desperation
His aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, his arms on fire
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through his memory
The echoes of old applause

With thoughts of days before
Last stroll through rehearsal doors

Performer stares with glassy eyes
Defies an empty stage
The time is right, for a change of plight
Moving on to a different page

Thirty years ago, how the notes would flow
With passion and precision
But now his body, joints and hands
Need relief from their condition

And he stares out the tour bus door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...

-Fixed.

#7 Rush-O-Matic

Rush-O-Matic

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

. . . Alex's arthritis is pretty evident in the drop in control he seems to have.
An awful shame. . .

I have seen them live a bunch and have most of their concert videos. I've never notice Alex having extra picks on his mic stand before. I've commented to a friend of mine that I was amazed that I'd never seen him drop a pick. The times I've seen him close enough to watch him throw picks out, he's always had more in his pocket. It's possible I'm remembering wrong or just never noticed, but this video is the first I've seen them on his stand like that. I wonder if he's having trouble holding them.

#8 Gandalf

Gandalf

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:26 AM

You guys are ridiculous. It's not 1977 so if you don't like the way they sound now too bad for you.

Wallow in your negativity, while I go see my all time favorite band and love the fact I get to hear and see them again.

#9 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:30 AM

I'm excited about the setlist and sad that a younger Rush, circa 1983-2004 could not find it in their hearts to tackle such material. They could have handled this much better back then.  There was a time I guess when they wouldn't consider it.  They didn't realize that their best material was circa 1973-1981 and a shame for that.  I've heard the analogy to children's drawings on the refrigerator versus fully realized works, and even then I called bullshit.  Sure, we all think the thing we just did was the best thing ever but really you're judged in life by your real accomplishments done at the height of your powers.

I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I'm super happy and super excited about this tour.  It just shows how less of a chore it would have been to play some of these songs back in the day, back when hearing them, for me anyway, was the most important thing.  Had they played "Anthem" in 1987, I would have been overjoyed.  I'm still happy and still will see them this tour out. I just think it would have been easier to do all along as well.

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,671 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

You guys are ridiculous. It's not 1977 so if you don't like the way they sound now too bad for you.

Wallow in your negativity, while I go see my all time favorite band and love the fact I get to hear and see them again.

FWIW, I am sad. Not negative. I love these guys. But it's clear to me that Lerxst is having a hard time.... it makes me glad that he is out there doing it, however it is that he can. But I am bummed over his arthritis, and seeing him fade a bit. Despite his talent and heart.   All this time we were thinking that it was Pratt's feelings that were going to be the end of it all - when in reality it's Lerxst's challenge.

Sad .Understandable - he can't help it. But sad.

falconext.png

#11 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,900 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:02 AM

FWIW, I am sad. Not negative. I love these guys. But it's clear to me that Lerxst is having a hard time.... it makes me glad that he is out there doing it, however it is that he can. But I am bummed over his arthritis, and seeing him fade a bit. Despite his talent and heart.   All this time we were thinking that it was Pratt's feelings that were going to be the end of it all - when in reality it's Lerxst's challenge.

Sad .Understandable - he can't help it. But sad.

I'm sure it's the last thing he wants, to hold back the band.  I'm guessing for him the studio holds more long term hope than live and that's why he's talking new material.  He can adjust new material to his ability.  He also can take as many swings at something as necessary in the studio.  I hope he finds the solution to his arthritis and can continue.  I know it means a lot to him.

#12 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,671 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:04 AM

^^ I bet it does FJ. There is no question in my mind that Lerxt likes what he does, and enjoys being good at it... and he likes making that great music in general.

falconext.png

#13 Oak

Oak

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

I just saw the show in Tampa and it was my fantastic.  Geddy's voice sounds better than it did 15 years ago.  Sure, it's different from his voice 30 years ago, but he has found a way to sing these songs in a way that really works.  For Slim and all of the long time British fans on this board, I hope they take this show across the pond in 2016.

#14 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:50 PM

Yay! Classic mindless fanboi knee-jerk.

#15 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'm sure it's the last thing he wants, to hold back the band.  I'm guessing for him the studio holds more long term hope than live and that's why he's talking new material.  He can adjust new material to his ability.  He also can take as many swings at something as necessary in the studio.  I hope he finds the solution to his arthritis and can continue.  I know it means a lot to him.

On the evidence of this performance of What You're Doing at least - I don't think he's holding anyone back. The bass / drum performance is as sluggish and bar-band-ish as the guitar, and the vocals are the worst part.

Alex definitely doesn't do the old guitar part justice though, for sure. But one thing that disappoints me in particular is that there are a couple of points in the original where the bass and drums come to an abrupt halt for a moment while the guitar wails out, and they don't bother with that here .. Neil and Geddy just seem to sleepwalk through it.

However,  the mere fact of it being played, albeit in a limited and unspirited fashion, really does touch me. That's the main thing I wanted to get across.

#16 SnowDogg

SnowDogg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

I thought that they sounded great the other night in Tampa. A couple of mistakes, but nothing I would get upset about.

#17 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:03 PM

If you're happy to see and hear substandard performances, then good for you.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#18 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

I'm seeing them 4 times this tour, but if opening night is any indication... yeah, methinks Slim has some points here.  The fanboy in me wants to put it off to opening night jitters, but they do seem to be straining.  Love the setlist choices, more bold than I had expected.  But the execution shows that this has to be the last big tour indeed.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#19 The Gangster of Boats

The Gangster of Boats

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

Half of what people are not liking is the horrible mix,  The sound man needs to be tested for drugs.

The Counterparts Hit Kitteh is back!  

#20 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:52 AM

...EXACTLY, what GeddysMoog was sayin'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users