• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 LeStudio

LeStudio

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

So, 90 minutes ago my 14 yr. old son and I took in the last live Rush show we will probably ever see.  For him, it was show number 3, for me it was upwards of 20 or so shows since 1984.  The show is quite a triumphant achievement, Rush was their typical prodigy selves.  There were many moments of humor, lots of neat retrospective images, the greatest rendition of

Spoiler
you'll ever hear/see, and just a sonically great evening.  By the time they finish out with
Spoiler
, they are clearly spent having put every iota of effort into each song, as they have every performance since I first saw them 31 years ago.  It was a fun show ...... and yet....

The finality of the scene, their exit from the stage, left a far greater sense of emptiness than in the past.  It is a difficult experience for me, seeing them move on.  In fact, honestly, I had been dreading this show.  I am 48 years old -with a wife and 3 kids-( yes, I have a life) and this last couple of years has seen dramatic changes in our lives.  People die, institutions fade away, close friends divorce, those things that "were alway there", immutable, are suddenly no longer there.  And now so Rush goes this same path, as they must, obviously.  Time catches up to all of us.

As a child who was essentially abandoned by his parents, I was raised by my depression era grandparents.  I loved them as anyone would a mom or dad, and they loved me and gave me everything they could, including a college education that has allowed me to see the world, touring most of the major European cites on foot the last decade or so.  However, they and I were very different people, my grandparents from the age of auto-authoritarian respect, me, a doubter, a questioner, a reductionist.  Growing up in rural MO such types of people are quite the misanthrope, and I was chastised at times for voicing out loud my thoughts 'Thinking Big' about things like, oh, I don't know... Life, the Universe, and Everything*.

So, when I first heard Rush's music, the lyrics from one of the truly coolest guys I have ever been made familiar with, and hearing that it was okay to think thoughts like I did - to question authority, to have doubts about religion, to try to glimpse what lies beyond.  It was a revelation for me.  These three guys were my voice in the wilderness.  I spent countless hours, and many hundreds of miles, cycling on my 18 speed Motobecan through the Ozark Mountain foothills with these three guys matriculating through my mind via a Walkman cassette player.  The sound, the motion, the words, all made sense.  And I began to make sense of myself.  I really believe I am a changed man as a result of those formative years experiences.  It encouraged me to go to school, study in the technical field that I am engaged in, and read, read, read.  For I find/ found the lyrics of Mr. Peart to be both alluring and heuristic, encouraging me go beyond their simple meaning and investigate where these ideas originated from.

As a result, I was encouraged to read much of the classical literature available, endless book about science and cosmology, and the library of Joseph Campbell.  I don't believe I would have done any of these things without the extra push that my experiences with their music provided me.

So, friends, look forward to a wonderful and engaging show!!  And, as I am sure there are many stories out there very similar to mine, don't feel bad about that empty feeling on your way out the door.  I liken this last live experience to beloved neighbors moving away.  You may catch a glimpse of them from time to time, a letter, a photo, but that everyday experience of them in your life is now over.  That is bound to leave some degree of emptiness, In The End.

*copyright Douglas Adams

Edited by fenderjazz, 15 May 2015 - 01:48 PM.
added spoiler tags to the spoilers

• grep, OldRUSHfan, 2220020 and 9 others like this

#2 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:26 AM

nice and welcome but take the song spoiler out dude

• Slut Puppy and smoog like this

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,636 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 12:20 PM

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the biker bar. The bar is on the left, pool tables and video games on the right.  Have a beer, and welcome to the fray.

• OldRUSHfan, EZrhythm, smoog and 1 other like this

falconext.png

#4 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

That was an enjoyable read.
  • OldRUSHfan likes this

#5 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,813 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

Great story.  We put spoiler tags around the song names because there are people who do not want to know what they are playing before they see their first show this tour.

• OldRUSHfan, Slut Puppy, EZrhythm and 2 others like this

#6 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

From what I've seen of the setlist, the first half contains all the recent crap and the second half the proper stuff.

If they were coming to Englandland I'd walk in an hour late.

• OldRUSHfan, baldiepete, MrSkeptic and 1 other like this

#7 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

Well-written OP.
  • OldRUSHfan, smoog and LeStudio like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#8 LeStudio

LeStudio

• Peeps
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

To all, really sorry about the spoiler snafu.  

• fenderjazz, grep, OldRUSHfan and 1 other like this

#9 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

No worries, man. The intention was good. Nice post.

• OldRUSHfan and smoog like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#10 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:21 PM

yea

bitchin' post man

you didnt know about the spoiler thing

• OldRUSHfan and smoog like this

#11 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Yes, nice OP.

The Time Machine Tour was the last time I'll ever see them and that was a moderate high by comparison to the HYF and RTB tour gigs, if some way short of the Signals tour gig I saw.

#12 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

Every iota of Effort? BOLLOCKS!!!!! They used samples.

Greatest rendition of

Spoiler
now there's an oxymoron.

I'm 52 years old. Rush dying slowly since 1978 #FACTNOTFICTION

• smoog likes this

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 11:25 PM

eyuh.i fuk bitches 2 the rap part

#14 gomer

gomer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:02 AM

This tour is surely the apotheosis of Rush tours,yet I believe..i even have an I believe motivational poster in my oak panel study,Rush will tour again.Ive even been making mock setlists and putting together playlists etc.Im also working on a mock draft where Conner Mcdavid slips to #8 .

#15 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,838 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:25 AM

the greatest rendition of

Spoiler
you'll ever hear/see

So without that bridge thing at the end?

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#16 Gandalf

Gandalf

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:33 AM

From what I've seen of the setlist, the first half contains all the recent crap and the second half the proper stuff.

Who cares.

#17 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:42 AM

Or you might show up at gig time, hit the "in house" pub for a pint with some of the other old timers and reminisce while the lads get the "shit" out of their systems and start the proper set... ;)

• Moving Target likes this

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#18 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

Who cares.

I do :)

That's the best bit of knowing the setlist in advance, you can plan your evening better.

• EZrhythm likes this

#19 KaBoom21

KaBoom21

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:40 AM

The answer to the question "where does nickslikk2112 take it?"

#20 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,498 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

Don't judge everybody by your own standards. Due to my Yorkshire ancestry I suffer from tightarse syndrome, so whilst I can give I can't take.

Actually being a tightarse I can't give either...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users