30 replies to this topic

#1 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,294 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:06 AM

There was no way I was going to wait til August 1 -- I had to watch some footage and this just blew me away.
  • Greg, SpaceGhost2112, GhostWriter and 1 other like this

#2 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:22 AM

fuk yea man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was no way I was going to wait til August 1 -- I had to watch some footage and this just blew me away.

#3 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:41 AM

I can't tell. Does Neil have actual wind chimes or is he triggering them? I can't see them but I'm not sure why if he was going to go old school with Chomey and the orchestra bells, he didn't go all the way and put at least a small rack of chimes in. Same with the wood blocks. Looks like he's triggering them.
  • EZrhythm likes this

#4 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:52 AM

That alone is worth the price of admission. That is RUSH and why we love them. Thanks for posting that.

• chemistry1973 and Rick N Backer like this

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:53 AM

Most fucking excellent...can't wait until Saturday.  

#6 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

I can't tell. Does Neil have actual wind chimes or is he triggering them?

It sure looks like he's triggering the wind chimes. Tubular bell hits look real, though.
  • EZrhythm likes this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#7 earthshine_sf

earthshine_sf

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:12 AM

Wow.

Geddy sounds great!

I was going to ask why Ged had picks attached to his mic stand, but then I saw him use a pick for his guitar part during Alex's solo. He then threw his pick into the audience!

You can see Geddy's feet playing the Taurus pedals - there is one note sequence that is fast, and his foot only plays "one note" - wonder how they do that - one "key" on the pedals triggers a sequence, while the other keys are just normal notes?

#8 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 01:54 AM

Yes, triggers are quite sophisticated these days. You name it, they can do it.

#9 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:33 AM

It sure looks like he's triggering the wind chimes. Tubular bell hits look real, though.

I can barely see the windchimes but they are there. Would have liked to see them up nice and high like before.

#10 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:45 AM

WHAT? NO AL AND GED PRESSING ON EACHOTHER BACK TO BACK?!   Yep, this is it...they're done after this.  :angry:   :P 

#11 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:50 AM

You can see Geddy's feet playing the Taurus pedals - there is one note sequence that is fast, and his foot only plays "one note" - wonder how they do that - one "key" on the pedals triggers a sequence, while the other keys are just normal notes?

Most likely yeah. You can assign anything to a pedal or a key. So like if you know you're not going to need B , you can program the B event to trigger something.... but have the rest of the pedals trigger those individual notes. Any combination.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#12 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,588 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:53 AM

I can't tell. Does Neil have actual wind chimes or is he triggering them? I can't see them but I'm not sure why if he was going to go old school with Chomey and the orchestra bells, he didn't go all the way and put at least a small rack of chimes in. Same with the wood blocks. Looks like he's triggering them.

I think you're right minus one or two wood blocks.  The tubular bells he was playing in another song.  I think it's somewhat based on availability.  If he's got a small part and feels the need to stay seated, it's probably triggered.  If he can stand and go "percussionist" for a spell, he's doing that.  The guy is still master of the cowbell.  Nobody plays cowbells like Peart, nobody.

• grep, AsIfToFly and EZrhythm like this

#13 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:17 AM

I think you're right minus one or two wood blocks. The tubular bells he was playing in another song. I think it's somewhat based on availability. If he's got a small part and feels the need to stay seated, it's probably triggered. If he can stand and go "percussionist" for a spell, he's doing that. The guy is still master of the cowbell. Nobody plays cowbells like Peart, nobody.

It looks like he's using the MalletKat, so he may just be using that to trigger the woodblocks. Are the chimes right above it, under his high concert toms? Hard to see on the video.
  • EZrhythm likes this

#14 bordercollie

bordercollie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • LocationI wish I knew

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:43 AM

Wow.

Geddy sounds great!

I was going to ask why Ged had picks attached to his mic stand, but then I saw him use a pick for his guitar part during Alex's solo. He then threw his pick into the audience!

Which is he bigger crime?  Holding down the pedal during the 8th note runs, or on R30 where he hit all the 8th notes, but programmed them on to the incorrect notes to make it easier on his feet?

#15 SnowDogg

SnowDogg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 03:54 AM

So awesome
  • EZrhythm likes this

#16 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:12 AM

he triggers the chimes with the kat  or the pedal

• 2220020 likes this

#17 EZrhythm

EZrhythm

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:43 AM

At :22 you can see the wind chimes swaying in their glory.

#18 AsIfToFly

AsIfToFly

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:01 AM

I don't see it.  In fact, at around 6:25 it looks very much like he's triggering the chimes with the Malletkat.

#19 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 14 May 2015 - 05:08 AM

I can barely see the windchimes but they are there. Would have liked to see them up nice and high like before.

The motion that he's doing isn't right for wind chimes. Back when he actually had them, he would, as expected, use a sweeping motion to play them, but in the OP video, it's clear he's triggering them with single hits on the pad. Watch closely from 0:30 - 0:56, and at 2:49 is a dead give away: he plays that little descending melody on the pads and right in the middle of that, is a wind chime pad hit.
  • fenderjazz and AsIfToFly like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#20 sbach66

sbach66

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLA