#761 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:02 PM

The idea of a Rush fan not liking AFTK sounds like something that would definitely be one of the seven signs of the apocalypse. That's like not liking chocolate or bacon or sex.

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#762 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

I’m with Slim, mostly, since I love Xanadu.

The rest of AFTK is a bit of a mess. And the drums don’t sound good. And Peart’s timing is all over the place. And Closer to the Heart should’ve been GREAT but it wasn’t.

#763 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 31 October 2018 - 08:59 PM

Slim is nothing if not consistent. He's disliked AFTK as far back as I remember. It's one of life's great unsolved mysteries like who-built-the-pyramids-was-it-aliens and what's-that-shit-inside-Twinkies-made-of?

Since 1977. But I bet there are loads of people who don't like it.

#764 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:00 PM

I’m with Slim, mostly, since I love Xanadu.

The rest of AFTK is a bit of a mess. And the drums don’t sound good. And Peart’s timing is all over the place. And Closer to the Heart should’ve been GREAT but it wasn’t.

What do you think would have made it a better song?  I personally find the album version almost unlistenable because of the vocal.  I find his performance on Exit way better...

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#765 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:15 PM

What do you think would have made it a better song? I personally find the album version almost unlistenable because of the vocal. I find his performance on Exit way better...

Perhaps going back to the acoustic for another added verse. I always felt like they built the song too early.

Live they pull it off because they jam it out, but the arrangement is kinda unfinished to me.

Sonically most of the album seems like the band can’t decide if it’s Genesis or Zeppelin.

#766 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

What do you think would have made it a better song?  I personally find the album version almost unlistenable because of the vocal.  I find his performance on Exit way better...

To my mind, it's overblown and overextended - the intro seems to take half an hour and there's a major key scale practice section that's repeated unnecessarily for what seems like six months.

It seems clear that they were short of ideas at this point in their careers, and resorted to desperate measures to fill out an album. Cygnus X-1 is also overlong and repetitive.

#767 BinFrog

BinFrog

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:05 PM

To my mind, it's overblown and overextended - the intro seems to take half an hour and there's a major key scale practice section that's repeated unnecessarily for what seems like six months.

It seems clear that they were short of ideas at this point in their careers, and resorted to desperate measures to fill out an album. Cygnus X-1 is also overlong and repetitive.

I'm not sure it's possible to disagree more with a single post. That's a pretty nuts viewpoint for a hardcore Rush fan to have.

#768 bytor11

bytor11

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationChicago 'Burb

Posted 02 November 2018 - 04:54 PM

Bro do you even prog? Every complaint can be applied to almost all prog music, good grief.

#769 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,936 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Bro do you even prog? Every complaint can be applied to almost all prog music, good grief.

But Hemispheres is a complete about-face. Production, songs, musicianship, arrangements - it’s brilliant. Certainly more Xanadu than Madrigal.

#770 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:37 PM

Ah, we got our Closer To The Hearts and our Xanadus crossed there, Slim.  But it's ok...I'm guessing you don't like CTTH much, either... :)

#771 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

Sonically most of the album seems like the band can’t decide if it’s Genesis or Zeppelin.

This is maybe the best description of 70's Rush I can think of...and why I like it so much!

#772 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

I'll give Slim the fact that while there is much repetition in A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres that I mind it less in Hemispheres.  Hemispheres has a bit more dynamics in it's repetitions.  It doesn't sound like a cut and paste which much of AFTK has to it.  Timbale is right on about live vs studio.  I put AFTK and 2112 in the same boat sonically.  Live they are just so much better.

#773 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 02 November 2018 - 07:15 PM

Oh yes, I love Close To The Edge, Hemispheres, The Gates Of Delirium and a few other long pieces.  Sure, there are motifs and themes that recur. But I don't find them to be tediously repetitive.

#774 baldiepete

baldiepete

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:57 PM

New Geddy interview from the latest edition of Classic Rock magazine.

https://www.cygnus-x...ock-12.2018.php

#775 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,899 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:24 PM

New Geddy interview from the latest edition of Classic Rock magazine.

https://www.cygnus-x...ock-12.2018.php

This is a good one. He tells it like it is about how he sees the future, and what his priorities are.

falconext.png

#776 jeffro

jeffro

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:29 PM

Hopefully all that bass noodling leads to something that he likes and we get some new music. Keeping my fingers crossed

Pure fat, topped with a layer of fat - Alex Lifeson

Rush02.JPG

#777 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:10 PM

76572a46ce999a9e862584f6cb86d331.jpg

#778 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 12:21 PM

The best part about AFTK is the title track, especially the classical intro followed by THOSE FUCKING ALEX CHORDS. That is where I get the chills. I know of no other music that sounds remotely like it. BAEEEW! WAEEW WAEEW, WAEEW WAAEW! do do do do do WAEEW, WAEEW WAEEW, WAEEW WAEEW! do do do de do

Best first chord since A Hard Day's Night.

AFTK, AHDN

Coincidence? I think Not.

(I'm in Bangkok, not smoking weed, but I am drinking a lot)

#779 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,149 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 15 November 2018 - 02:25 PM

The best part about AFTK is the title track, especially the classical intro followed by THOSE FUCKING ALEX CHORDS. That is where I get the chills. I know of no other music that sounds remotely like it. BAEEEW! WAEEW WAEEW, WAEEW WAAEW! do do do do do WAEEW, WAEEW WAEEW, WAEEW WAEEW! do do do de do

Best first chord since A Hard Day's Night.

AFTK, AHDN

Coincidence? I think Not.

(I'm in Bangkok, not smoking weed, but I am drinking a lot)

Yes.  I think you're referring to the A7sus4 to the A7 there and finds it's home with an EM voicing with the G note thrown in.  So yes, it's an interesting turn in that you've got essentially.  It sounds like the guitars are double-tracked there and some stereo chorus thrown in so it makes it sound a lot wetter.  Yes, these kinds of things are repeated within "Hemispheres" (song) as well.  This was him taking his chord voicings to another level on these two albums.  Later on, mostly on MP he would strip some of the layers away (single tracking guitars mostly) but keep the chord voicings themselves.

#780 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,292 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

I find that part incredibly majestic. Rock bands aren't supposed to be able to write music like that.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users