358 replies to this topic

#341 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#342 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, that guy. I always forget him for some reason

It's kind of like "the Other Guy" from the three tenors

Chris_Kreider_21_590x390.jpg

#343 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:12 AM

Rush University Medical Center - Chicago

rush-university-public-health-degree.gif

Rush-University-Medical-Center-by-Perkin

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#344 The Macallan

The Macallan

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

Paging Dr. Lifeson...

1433194502-geddyleevideojpg.png

• Three Eyes and GhostWriter like this

Chris_Kreider_21_590x390.jpg

#345 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

Some cool re-imaginings of Rush album covers collected on the final page of a long TRF thread from 2012.

http://www.therushfo...s/page__st__180

This one was left off the final page for some reason.

http://www.therushfo...60#entry2541790

Oh and these bits of inspired cleverness were left off too...

http://www.therushfo...s/#entry2540804

http://www.therushfo...20#entry2540964

#346 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

Found on Power Windows: A Tribute to Rush:

From a Nov. 2012 Colbert Report:

On last night's episode of Comedy Central's The Colbert Report, Colbert tells of a 24 year old Canadian "Grinch" who was arrested for harassing children and telling them Santa Claus wasn't real.  (Click here for a video clip).  Colbert goes on to say that due to time constraints there is no Santa Claus in Canada, but that celebrities like Rush pick up the slack for him:

"...but don't worry Canadian kids, you still have a Santa - it's just a Canadian Santa. Every year I believe it rotates to a different Canadian celebrity. Last year it was Nelly Furtado Claus, this year it's Rush. So that jing-jing-jingle you hear on the roof is just Neil Peart (pronounced "Pert") breaking into a 45-minute high hat solo."

2548.f.jpg

#347 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:35 AM

Signals World Premier

According to the YouTuber who posted this video, it's from an "Unknown FM Broadcast from September 1982.". I feel like I have a better understanding of the drastic change between MP and Signals after listening to this.

The between song interview sections are at 0:00, 7:08, 14:00, 21:00, 28:20, 35:08, 41:22, and 48:20.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#348 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:15 PM

Signals World Premier

According to the YouTuber who posted this video, it's from an "Unknown FM Broadcast from September 1982.". I feel like I have a better understanding of the drastic change between MP and Signals after listening to this.

The between song interview sections are at 0:00, 7:08, 14:00, 21:00, 28:20, 35:08, 41:22, and 48:20.

I am loving this. The Chemistry story is pretty interesting. 

• Three Eyes likes this

#349 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:26 PM

As a teenager I'd listen to Signals when I cut lawns. Also, I vividly remembering playing the record on my parents' stereo at home during a boring Summer day. - the album has always spoken "the suburbs" to me. To find that they actually recorded some of Alex's parts outside - like his solo on Chemistry - just makes so much sense.

It is the perfect ode to the "emotionally and physically displaced teen suburbanite". Yet, I can smell the grass, and the backyard, and visualize myself walking through the woods as a kid, wet swim trunks, sounds of talking in the kitchen (I want to go back!) - as I write this, so many memories are popping into my head.

• Three Eyes, GhostWriter and fast eddie like this

#350 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:28 PM

Also - Neil references Geddy's pal Oscar. The same guy Geddy brought up at the rock hall ceremony last week. And Oscar programmed the drum part for the Weapon!

• Three Eyes and Bones like this

#351 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:39 PM

I am loving this. The Chemistry story is pretty interesting. 

I think it's interesting that they were all writing on their own at the time and brought these apparently disparate ideas into the Signals project and tried to make a cohesive album out of them. I think that might be where the album's eclectic quality comes from.

• chemistry1973 likes this

#352 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

Also - Neil references Geddy's pal Oscar. The same guy Geddy brought up at the rock hall ceremony last week. And Oscar programmed the drum part for the Weapon!

Wow.

#353 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:54 PM

As a teenager I'd listen to Signals when I cut lawns. I vividly remembering playing the record on my parents' stereo at home during a boring Summer day. - the album has always spoken "the suburbs" to me. To find that they actually recorded some of Alex's parts outside - like his solo on Chemistry - just makes so much sense.

It is the perfect ode to the "emotionally and physically displaced teen suburbanite". Yet, I can smell the grass, and the backyard, and visualize myself walking through the woods as a kid, wet swim trunks, sounds of talking in the kitchen (I want to go back!) - as I write this, so many memories are popping into my head.

The album had a similar effect on me. I graduated from my small town high school in '82 and songs like The Analog Kid and Subdivisions really hit home for me. I was excited for the future and future possibilities. That youthful excitement is pretty precious and relatively short-lived but memories of it, when something triggers them, can be pretty exhilarating. Neil talks about the post-adolescent period where far away places seem more interesting and larger than life than where you're from. I had those feelings in spades.

• chemistry1973, GhostWriter and fast eddie like this

#354 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:01 PM

It's a bit confounding to think they'd pushed out Broon after this, when he essentially captured that angsty, restless summertime vibe ( and that it had already spoken to me in that sense even before I knew that's what they were trying to capture).

And the interviewer even expresses the same sentiment: "New World Man is ABOUT me. Not some kid in the far off future of 2112…"

Fucking love this album.

• Three Eyes, fast eddie and Rick N Backer like this

#355 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:08 PM

The album had a similar effect on me. I graduated from my small town high school in '82 and songs like The Analog Kid and Subdivisions really hit home for me. I was excited for the future and future possibilities. That youthful excitement is pretty precious and relatively short-lived but memories of it, when something triggers them, can be pretty exhilarating. Neil talks about the post-adolescent period where far away places seem more interesting and larger than life than where you're from. I had those feelings in spades.

Me too.

#356 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

It's a bit confounding to think they'd pushed out Broon after this, when he essentially captured that angsty, restless summertime vibe ( and that it had already spoken to me in that sense even before I knew that's what they were trying to capture).

And the interviewer even expresses the same sentiment: "New World Man is ABOUT me. Not some kid in the far off future of 2112…"

Fucking love this album.

I think he still had great work to do with Rush even if he wasn't into their new direction. Something about the combination of those 4 guys really produced a lot of magic. It's really a shame. I considered him to have been nearly a fourth member of the band, at least in the studio.

Yes, Signals was less conceptual and abstract than previous albums. It was more in touch with human emotion. 

• chemistry1973 and fast eddie like this

#357 timbale

timbale

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:02 AM

Signals World Premier

Whoever the interviewer is, he also did one of these for Moving Pictures.  I had both of them on tape when I was a teenager.

• Three Eyes likes this

Courageous convictions will drag the dream into existence.  

#358 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:00 PM

d05796fceef3dd4a8a9eb96dffb2549b.jpg

#359 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,732 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:16 PM

Bestillmyheart.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users