45 replies to this topic

#21 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:50 PM

Is it possible he could be confined to a subforum? I know some forum software does offer that. Then he could howl at the walls for as long as the voices in his head demand, anyone who likes that sort of thing could opt in, and the rest of us wouldn't see the board clogged up and dominated by obsessive paranoia / hate posts. Doable?

do you even read your own posts?

good lord :rolleyes:

#22 ghostworks

ghostworks

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:03 PM

I suppose some of the members here are probably the type of people that only click and read news headlines that offend them and spend the rest of their mornings typing vitriolic hyperbole into the comments section between cups of coffee

if I logged in here tomorrow and saw a new content list populated with nothing but street bicycling tips, how we solve global warming and best tattoos ever should I also ask if it's possible they be confined to a subforum so that anyone who likes those sorts of things could opt in and the rest of us wouldn't see the board clogged up and dominated by selfish/passive-aggressive posts?

Doable?

#23 RushDoggie

RushDoggie

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 11:28 PM

I suppose some of the members here are probably the type of people that only click and read news headlines that offend them and spend the rest of their mornings typing vitriolic hyperbole into the comments section between cups of coffee

if I logged in here tomorrow and saw a new content list populated with nothing but street bicycling tips, how we solve global warming and best tattoos ever should I also ask if it's possible they be confined to a subforum so that anyone who likes those sorts of things could opt in and the rest of us wouldn't see the board clogged up and dominated by selfish/passive-aggressive posts?

Doable?

I think, of someone came in and posted 4 to 5 threads a day talking about street bicycling posts, and how all drivers are selfish bastards, etc etc, we would feel the same way. I also think most people, who when it was pointed out that they vomited racist vitriol (or cyclist vitriol or what have you) would self regulate themselves a little.

But he can't seem to stop, regardless of the thread topic, and its fucking annoying.

It would be like me turning every thread into an "admire my cute dogs, aren't they the cutest ever?" thread. No one else wants to be subjected to that.

• Slim likes this

“Music is probably the only real magic I have encountered in my life. It's pure and it's real. It moves, it heals.” - Tom Petty

#24 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,587 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:19 AM

I think, of someone came in and posted 4 to 5 threads a day talking about street bicycling posts, and how all drivers are selfish bastards, etc etc, we would feel the same way. I also think most people, who when it was pointed out that they vomited racist vitriol (or cyclist vitriol or what have you) would self regulate themselves a little.

But he can't seem to stop, regardless of the thread topic, and its fucking annoying.

It would be like me turning every thread into an "admire my cute dogs, aren't they the cutest ever?" thread. No one else wants to be subjected to that.

It's all about reasonableness.  If it's your passion to talk about certain things, fine, but don't take over the board with it.  The one thing I despise, and you'll recall this from this past summer, is when someone tries to take over the board and thus shouting everyone else down.

#25 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 February 2016 - 05:33 AM

I wouldn't call it shouting down, but drowning in a sea of paranoid craziness would be a more accurate descriptor.  It's the same shit in each of his threads.  It's bizarre and despite being one of the most reprimanded Peeps, he just. keeps.  posting.  the.  crazy.

Maybe his own forum would be good, a separate but equal kind of thing.  ;)

#26 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:07 AM

We could call it hemi's sphere.
  • Moving Target and fast eddie like this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#27 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Doable?

Give it a couple of weeks, and if the bicycle / global warming / tattoos threads keep dominating the board, I certainly think you should.

#28 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 29 February 2016 - 04:40 AM

This version of this message board has a function called "Ignore". If things really get under your skin that badly, maybe give it a try. If that doesn't work, maybe find somewhere else to hang out or grow some thicker skin.

• pjbear05 likes this

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#29 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Oh I do have the offender on ignore, but it's a wider issue than that. For one thing the ignore function doesn't actually make the brain-dead threads go away. For another, a lot of people already have found somewhere to hang out of course, and no doubt the person in question has made a huge contribution to that. It's not really a solution in a general sense; more a problem.

#30 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

I'm thinking more and more about making a special forum.  The politics forum is already special, but perhaps a double-secret-probation opt-in forum only.  I want people to be happy to come here, I want this place to be as free as possible, but people should have an option.  I think we'll talk about how to make that work.

• Greg likes this

#31 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

Look, anyone can post what's on their mind. That's what this place is about. I gotta say though, if I wanted to see so many posts about racism related topics I'd find another board.  I come here to talk about Rush, other music, and to see how our (dwindling) family is doing and is up to. Like the Cycling thread. 

It's the same effect as what happened with the graffiti guy over the last summer.  I'd rather come here and see no posts, a blank wall, than some of what's being posted.

The guy has a right to express himself, but i don't have to listen. And me not listening doesn't mean for me to go look elsewhere for what makes this place special.  

I think the idea of an opt in forum makes a lot of sense FJ. Though that adds to the moderation task slightly. I'd even be willing to help out in that space. If it makes it easier for the admin team. If a particular thread breaks the rules, move it to the double secret forum.   Rules? Now that's a different discussion.  What would qualify? How do we quantify what we think are the qualifications for such a forum?  What separates those threads from say.... a general thread about politics or the elections, or any other current event? 

#32 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Look, anyone can post what's on their mind. That's what this place is about. I gotta say though, if I wanted to see so many posts about racism related topics I'd find another board.  I come here to talk about Rush, other music, and to see how our (dwindling) family is doing and is up to. Like the Cycling thread. 

It's the same effect as what happened with the graffiti guy over the last summer.  I'd rather come here and see no posts, a blank wall, than some of what's being posted.

The guy has a right to express himself, but i don't have to listen. And me not listening doesn't mean for me to go look elsewhere for what makes this place special.  

I think the idea of an opt in forum makes a lot of sense FJ. Though that adds to the moderation task slightly. I'd even be willing to help out in that space. If it makes it easier for the admin team. If a particular thread breaks the rules, move it to the double secret forum.   Rules? Now that's a different discussion.  What would qualify? How do we quantify what we think are the qualifications for such a forum?  What separates those threads from say.... a general thread about politics or the elections, or any other current event? 

We already have such things but really only confine one user to such a forum for problems, this would be a more permanent solution.  I don't think it would require any more administration.

#33 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,851 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 05:48 PM

Hemi needs a time out.

70f7970c6951220418093601a14bf0a2.jpg

• grep and Bones like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#34 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 06:12 PM

Delete Obama

I know he's not a member but let him go away and get the election over with.

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#35 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:30 AM

Delete Obama

I know he's not a member but let him go away and get the election over with.

Haven't you heard? He's going to institute martial law and serve at least one more term. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#36 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have never put anyone on ignore. That is changing today. I've had it with hemi. He's obtuse and obnoxious...and he's running rough shod over this place. Until he goes away or he gets his own private happy place, I'm done with him...now, about that private forum?
  • Slim likes this

#37 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

I have never put anyone on ignore. That is changing today. I've had it with hemi. He's obtuse and obnoxious...and he's running rough shod over this place. Until he goes away or he gets his own private happy place, I'm done with him...now, about that private forum?

In a few days

#38 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,260 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Yes, to look at the Recent Topics list you'd think this was a personal political blog site.

• grep likes this

#39 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hemi.rushmessageboard.com?