#2 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,392 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

Rather misleading, Hemi - he didn't mention GW once.

While it's true that we can't "save" the Earth, it is also true that we can do things to stop putting the biosphere out of whack to the point where it starts to become inhospitable to us.

#3 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

LYqbjSn.jpg

#4 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Rather misleading, Hemi - he didn't mention GW once.

Maybe so, but many of the things he mentions are thought to exist due to "Global Warming"...now "Climate Change" due to the lack of any significant warming.

Climate change is called............daily weather.  Sunny earlier....rain moving in later. 

Wind will blow, some rain, some snow....

And, I did not title the vid.

#5 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:19 PM

I love George Carlin, but he is 100% wrong on much of this, especially the bit about endangered species. And he gets it wrong for such simple reasons that it really is quite saddening. I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw this clip years ago.

He should have stuck to his observations about language. He knows jack shit about science.

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#6 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

agreee

i bilt my first lab while listening to his records

I love George Carlin, but he is 100% wrong on much of this, especially the bit about endangered species. And he gets it wrong for such simple reasons that it really is quite saddening. I lost a lot of respect for him when I saw this clip years ago.

He should have stuck to his observations about language. He knows jack shit about science.

#7 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Meh, if it's the video I'm thinking of ("save the bees, save the trees" etc.), he's mostly talking about semantics.
We're not saving the planet when we engage in environmentalist activities. We're trying to keep the place habitable for ourselves. He's essentially pointing out that we take selfish aims and try to dress them up as forward-thinking respect for the environment.

He makes a few errors, especially involving our impact on the environment (we are putting more carbon into the atmosphere than has been put there for millions of years), but by-and-large, his points are sensible.

I'm willing to bet Hemi's simplistic interpretation of them renders that fine distinction moot, but that's not a problem with Carlin, that's a problem with Hemi.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#8 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

Meh,

No, Carlin proffers a fallacious argument that since species extinctions have been occurring for billions of years as a part of natural history (correct), it therefore means that humans don't need to care about species that they drive extinct through human actions.

Idiotic. 

#9 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,972 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

In this thread: I'm to the right of WH.

This board is weird.

labente deinde paulatim disciplina velut desidentes primo mores sequatur animo, deinde ut magis magisque lapsi sint, tum ire coeperint praecipites, donec ad haec tempora quibus nec vitia nostra nec remedia pati possumus perventum est.

First our declining morals slid, bit by bit, and then our very national spirit.  Then the collapse became greater and greater, and our principles began to go, until at last, it has come to this age, in which we can bear neither our crimes nor the cure for them.

#10 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:51 PM

In this thread: I'm to the right of WH.

Do explain!

#11 Feverish Flux

Feverish Flux

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:59 PM

Maybe so, but many of the things he mentions are thought to exist due to "Global Warming"...now "Climate Change" due to the lack of any significant warming.

2014 warmest year on record, say US researchers
By Mark Kinver
Environment reporter, BBC News
16 January 2015

2014 was the warmest year on record, with global temperatures 0.68C (1.24F) above the long-term average, US government scientists have said.

The results mean that 14 of the 15 warmest years on record have occurred since the turn of the century.

The analysis was published on Friday by Nasa and Noaa researchers.
Last month, the World Meteorological Organization released provisional figures that predicted the past 12 months were set to be record breakers.

The long-term global average temperature is calculated from data collected between 1951 and 1980.

"This is the latest in a series of warm years, in a series of warm decades," said Gavin Schmidt, director of Nasa's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

_80328070_temperature_anomaly_624.gif

"While the ranking of individual years can be affected by chaotic weather patterns, the long-term trends are attributable to drivers of climate change that right now are dominated by human emissions of greenhouse gases," he added.

Nasa and the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (Noaa) maintain two of the three global datasets of global temperatures. The UK's Met Office maintains the third.

Data from all three are used by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and formed the basis of its provisional figures in December.

Talking to journalists, Dr Schmidt said the results from the two sets of data showed "a lot of warmth in the oceans".

"It shows very clearly that it has been the warmest year on record in the oceans but it wasn't quite the warmest year in the land records but combined it did give us the warmest year," he explained.

Hot water

During a presentation of the two agencies' reports, Thomas Karl, director of Noaa's National Climatic Data Center, said there was a "considerable amount of area where we saw the record highest temperature observed, such as many portions of Europe and every ocean had parts that were [the warmest on record]".

Australia was another nation to set record-breaking average temperatures.

But Dr Karl added that not all parts of the globe recorded temperatures above the long-term average.

"There were actually some areas that were cooler than average, particularly across some parts of the US that were much cooler than average," he observed.

"But that was overwhelmed by the far greater proportion of land and ocean areas that was much warmer than average or record temperatures.

"If you put it all together then it comes out as the warmest year on record."

Records stretch back to the late 19th Century when scientists began using scientific instruments to collect temperature data.

Today, as well as in-situ instruments recording information on the Earth's surface, satellites closely monitor temperatures across the planet.

During its review of extreme weather during 2014, the WMO highlighted a number of record-breaking events:

* In September, parts of the Balkans received more than double the average monthly rainfall and parts of Turkey were hit by four times the average.

* The town of Guelmin in Morocco was swamped by more than a year's rain in just four days.

* Western Japan saw the heaviest August rain since records began.

* Parts of the western US endured persistent drought, as did parts of China and Central and South America.

* Tropical storms, on the other hand, totalled 72 which is less than the average of 89 judged by 1981-2010 figures. The North Atlantic, western North Pacific and northern Indian Ocean were among regions seeing slightly below-average cyclone activity.

_80328072_2014_annual_w-colorbar.png

Responding to the reports' findings, Bob Ward, policy and communications director at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change at the London School of Economics, said:

"The new global temperature record announced today completely exposes the myth that global warming has stopped.

"There is mounting evidence all around the world that the Earth is warming and the climate is changing in response to rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere."

A small but vocal number of people maintain that the observed temperature anomalies are not the result of greenhouse gas emissions from human activities warming the planet.

It is also a view that is held by a number of politicians, making them reluctant to introduce regulations or legislation aimed at cutting emissions.

He added: "No politician can afford to ignore this overwhelming scientific evidence or claim that global warming is a hoax.

"Climate change is happening, and as the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, national scientific academies and scientific organisations across the world have all concluded [that] human activities, particularly burning of fossil fuels and deforestation, are primarily responsible."

Emma Pinchbeck, head of climate and energy policy at WWF-UK, said there were reasons to be optimistic that the international community would act to curb emissions.

"There is still time to cut emissions and keep the rise in global temperature under 2C (3.6F)," she said.

"This is the year for politicians in the UK and abroad to show leadership and to deliver the global agreements and national policy we need needed to avoid the worst impacts of climate change."

The UN climate summit in Paris at the end of the year has become the focus for campaigners and policymakers alike.

It is being billed as the time when nations will come together to agree on a global roadmap to reduce emissions from human activities and prevent dangerous climate change.

However, many commentators refer to the 2009 talks in Copenhagen that promised so much but, in the end, delivered so little.

"I know I don't know what I don't know."

My wife

#12 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

Meh, if it's the video I'm thinking of ("save the bees, save the trees" etc.), he's mostly talking about semantics.
We're not saving the planet when we engage in environmentalist activities. We're trying to keep the place habitable for ourselves. He's essentially pointing out that we take selfish aims and try to dress them up as forward-thinking respect for the environment.

He makes a few errors, especially involving our impact on the environment (we are putting more carbon into the atmosphere than has been put there for millions of years), but by-and-large, his points are sensible.

I'm willing to bet Hemi's simplistic interpretation of them renders that fine distinction moot, but that's not a problem with Carlin, that's a problem with Hemi.

Hey Rebel. If you cannot stand me so much as to have me on ignore, (oooo, I'm sooo hurt) then why don't you just fuck off and get the fuck out of my thread altogether you fucking waste of breathing air, piece of shit.

#13 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

How is it that I can watch that clip, laugh and see some of the points but you peeps just get the panties up in a bunch.

You all should just lighten up a bit.

#14 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:23 AM

Or is it that most folks left of center are just born to bitch, complain, moan, protest and cry all their lives?

#15 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:23 AM

Hey Rebel. If you cannot stand me so much as to have me on ignore, (oooo, I'm sooo hurt) then why don't you just fuck off and get the fuck out of my thread altogether you fucking waste of breathing air, piece of shit.

How is it that I can watch that clip, laugh and see some of the points but you peeps just get the panties up in a bunch.

Yeah, we should all lighten up a bit.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#16 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:24 AM

Yeah, we should all lighten up a bit.

When they lead the way, I'll follow.

and that a-hole has me on ignore so I don't give a rats ass what I type to him.

He's probably busy taking a photo of last night's dinner in a bowl right about now..

#17 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:29 AM

I'm already pretty lightened up. And I love 99% of what Carlin has ever done.

I'll be happy to debate with you about the 1% that he got wrong.

And this has nothing to do with politics. I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.

It has everything to do with science, though. As a physicist I think I have some credibility on that.

#18 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:55 AM

I'm already pretty lightened up. And I love 99% of what Carlin has ever done.

I'll be happy to debate with you about the 1% that he got wrong.

And this has nothing to do with politics. I'm a fiscal conservative and a social liberal.

It has everything to do with science, though. As a physicist I think I have some credibility on that.

Well, you will have to convince 31,488 people that you know better....

http://www.petitionproject.org/

Let's just stick to Rush and let the rest of the scientists figure it out.

#19 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:00 AM

^ Wow. I'm not even talking about climate change specifically. I'm talking about the fundamentally poor reasoning that Carlin uses in trying to absolve humans of taking responsibility for their actions vis-a-vis species extinctions.

I'm guessing this is over your head.

Maybe I'll open up another thread with RaaR to discuss our apparent differences on this.

#20 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 04 May 2015 - 01:09 AM

When they lead the way, I'll follow.

If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes. Just sayin'...
That said, why is there a debate over how right or wrong Carlin was? He was a fucking comedian. He had no responsibility to be right. Only funny. Now what one gets out of Carlin and what opinions they purport based on his humor, that's another thing entirely.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users