#21 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

The zone out is normally used for a seperate source. You need a CD player or second BluRay player connected to the amp to play the stuff you want to hear through your outdoor speakers.
A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.

#22 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:20 AM

Here:

With a receiver that supports Multi-Zone, (Zone 2 and/or Zone 3) you can play surround sound through your home theater application in one room while you have another room outputting an analog input signal, such as CD or Tuner. In addition, using the remote will allow you complete control of both zones independently regarding power, source, and volume.

If your amp is 7.1 then you would run your home cinema set up at 5.1 and use the two other channels for your outdoor speakers.
A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.

#23 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:59 PM

Bi amping the main speakers makes a noticeable difference.  I've A/B'd it with other listeners and the distinction between highs and lows in the main speakers are much better bi amped, it gives a much fuller, cleaner, more separated sound.  I wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it.

Tony, I already have the 7.1 all set and mounted in the living room, holes drilled, wires snaked down the basement and up through the walls to a perfect placement.  I don't want to undo any of what I already have.

All I have to do to run the BluRay player is unplug the HDMI that goes through the stereo and play it through RCA cables into the amplifier and to the yard.  Also, with this setup, people can still watch TV inside and listen to music out.  And I'm 90% sure the OPPO allows double audio output which will let me play it in both areas simultaneously.

#24 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

Bi amping the main speakers makes a noticeable difference. I've A/B'd it with other listeners and the distinction between highs and lows in the main speakers are much better bi amped, it gives a much fuller, cleaner, more separated sound. I wouldn't do it if it wasn't worth it.

Tony, I already have the 7.1 all set and mounted in the living room, holes drilled, wires snaked down the basement and up through the walls to a perfect placement. I don't want to undo any of what I already have.

All I have to do to run the BluRay player is unplug the HDMI that goes through the stereo and play it through RCA cables into the amplifier and to the yard. Also, with this setup, people can still watch TV inside and listen to music out. And I'm 90% sure the OPPO allows double audio output which will let me play it in both areas simultaneously.

If you only have a 7.1 receiver and you are using all 7 channels for surround, it doesn't matter as you ought to be able to set your receiver to 5.1 whilst you play the speakers outside using the remaining channels. You can switch it back when you want to use all 7 channels for surround. My receiver is 9.2 but it is the same principle.

#25 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

Because you are bi-amped, and running 7.1, you don't have enough channels to do a zone 2. Your best bet is to go with a separate amp for the outside speakers. I would skip the idea of running your BluRay through it as well. Just stick to the iPod. You can control the volume through it, and you really won't want to be running in to change disks all the time. Connection from the headphone out (3.5mm male) directly to an RCA in works fine. This is what I use for my garage setup and it works fine. We're not talking about a critical listening environment here.

• scott14 likes this

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#26 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 04 May 2015 - 11:41 PM

That's a different thread, but I think you're dealing with the "placebo effect".  

Depending on the speakers, this can be true. If the drivers have widely different sensitivity or impedance the benefits of bi-amping are more pronounced. Planars for example, usually benefit a lot from bi-amping. Some of the early ones even required it. 

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#27 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Because you are bi-amped, and running 7.1, you don't have enough channels to do a zone 2. Your best bet is to go with a separate amp for the outside speakers. I would skip the idea of running your BluRay through it as well. Just stick to the iPod. You can control the volume through it, and you really won't want to be running in to change disks all the time. Connection from the headphone out (3.5mm male) directly to an RCA in works fine. This is what I use for my garage setup and it works fine. We're not talking about a critical listening environment here.

Running the BluRay is just an option since the connects are right there anyway, but the iPod is the main focus.  The amp I ordered was pretty cheap, went with a different one than I linked previously, and it should arrive today.  I'll give an update tomorrow when it's all hooked up...

And as always, thank you all for your advice, wit, and heartfelt sarcasm!

#28 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

So ORF's boom box was a non-starter?
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#29 smoog