#1 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:16 PM

I ordered a pair of outdoor speakers for the yard, mounted them, ran the wiring, hooked it up to the Yamaha receiver intending to use the Zone 2 setting to play them...  And it's proven to be a nightmare at the receiver stage.  Long and short is I can't get the Zone playback to do what it's supposed to, and even if I do it's not going to do exactly what I want, how I want.  So I have an idea, but I have no clue if it will work...

Is it possible to run the BluRay Player directly into a stereo power amp and connect the speaker wires directly out?  I just need basic 2 channel stereo playback, no bells and whistles.  I'll only be playing CD's or running an iPod through the BluRay player, so I don't need any of the A/V stuff from the receiver.  Also, if I do manage this, is it better to use the coaxial connection or the optical?

I'd actually prefer to do it this way if possible because even if I do get the Zone 2 to work right, it negates the Bi Amp wiring I have on the front speakers AND apparently will remove the rear surround channels as well.  I've loved my Yamaha Receivers for years, but they really did a horrible job of making this whole Zone setup an unclear mess!

#2 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

Oh, and I'm having a backyard BBQ next Saturday, so time is of the essence!  Thanks for any help...

#3 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

Do you have a stereo speaker selector? I run zone 2 to my outdoor deck speakers and use that box to switch between A, B and C (both).

Either way, your backup plan should work. I'd try using coax.

If all else fails, reinstall windows.
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#4 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:43 PM

What are you serving and what time should I come over?

I'll bring Sol Invictus to break those speakers in right.

Fuck the neighbors third line.
  • scott14 likes this

#5 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 03 May 2015 - 04:58 PM

You can try to run the player into the amp without a pre-amp but depending on the gain output of the player, it may not get very loud or loud enough. You're not going to hurt anything by trying it unless the amp overheats because you have to turn it way up to have music at listenable levels. 

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

#6 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:08 PM

ORF has an old boom box you can borrow.

Also, cassette recordings of drunken party banter.

Problem solved third line.
  • Greg likes this

#7 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

FM Transmitter?

Hook it up to the out in zone 1 or whatever your source is. Then tune in at source 2.  Might be a little crackly but it works.

I do this myself. It's like listening to a good FM station.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#8 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:51 PM

I can't get anything out of Zone 2 or 3, following all of the schematics Yamaha provides, and even to do so the internal amp assignments will change the way I like it set up physically (meaning the wiring) for normal listening.  The only way I got anything to the speakers to test them was running the wires out of the front main jacks...   :angry fire:

I have to purchase the power amp if I'm going to try this!  UGH...  Any recommendations on how much wattage the amp should be to run two 80 W speakers?  Or recommendations on a good model (not looking to spend a lot!)?  Again, I'm thinking to run the audio directly out of my OPPO BluRay player, to the power amp, and have the speaker wires run directly from the amp...  A small self contained system.

#9 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

Seems like the perfect time/excuse to upgrade your receiver.

#10 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

This thread has inspired me.

I'm outside now with a drink in my hand and The Gentle Art of Making Enemies is blasting thru zone 2.

I'll probably go scoop the dog shit in a little while. Keeps me humble.

#11 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

I can't get anything out of Zone 2 or 3, following all of the schematics Yamaha provides, and even to do so the internal amp assignments will change the way I like it set up physically (meaning the wiring) for normal listening.  The only way I got anything to the speakers to test them was running the wires out of the front main jacks...   :angry fire:

I have to purchase the power amp if I'm going to try this!  UGH...  Any recommendations on how much wattage the amp should be to run two 80 W speakers?  Or recommendations on a good model (not looking to spend a lot!)?  Again, I'm thinking to run the audio directly out of my OPPO BluRay player, to the power amp, and have the speaker wires run directly from the amp...  A small self contained system.

How about buying a A/B speaker switch and run inside main L/R "A" and outside to L/R "B"?  The only time you would have to physically switch it would be when you're outside.  That way your receiver would only be set to the main setting that seems to be working...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#12 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:41 PM

The receiver is fine (and only a few years old) except for this.  Something about the way it's configured internally it doesn't allow full 7.1 with multiple zones (not to mention bi amping the big main speakers as I prefer). 

#13 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

How about buying a A/B speaker switch and run inside main L/R "A" and outside to L/R "B"?  The only time you would have to physically switch it would be when you're outside.  That way your receiver would only be set to the main setting that seems to be working...

Can you link me an example of the kind of switch you're talking about?

#14 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 03 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Can you link me an example of the kind of switch you're talking about?

http://www.amazon.co...=speaker switch

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#15 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

I'm not sure that's going to do what I want.  I'd have to at least sacrifice the bi amp in my current setup, which really does sound superior when listening in the main room.  I think I want to segregate the outdoor speakers entirely so I can leave the main room as is.  But thanks you for a good suggestion!

#16 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Without knowing your setup, I think that's exactly what you need and that was my first question in post #3. It's how mine is rigged. If I want to use zone 2, I select the input source then switch my outdoor speakers on with the splitter box.

It should have no effect on your main settings (zone 1) whatsoever. That's the whole point, to watch/listen to multiple inputs simultaneously.

#17 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

To have an audio out designated on my receiver to the splitter I'd at least need to undo the bi amp configuration of my mains.  I can't bi amp into the splitter.

#18 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:01 PM

http://www.pyleaudio...Power-Amplifier

This is what I'm leaning toward.  It's even the exact watts per channel I need for the speaker limits.  $89.00 on Amazon...

#19 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:37 PM

You lost me with bi-amping.

I mean, I know what it is. I just have no idea why you are doing it.

Good luck, though!

#20 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:34 AM

I'm not sure that's going to do what I want.  I'd have to at least sacrifice the bi amp in my current setup, which really does sound superior when listening in the main room.  I think I want to segregate the outdoor speakers entirely so I can leave the main room as is.  But thanks you for a good suggestion!

That's a different thread, but I think you're dealing with the "placebo effect".  

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users