23 replies to this topic

#21 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,763 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I dunno Greg. An iWatch is just a piece of costly unneeded crap, a status symbol. I don't think anyone could actually use it for any useful reason that something simpler and cheaper could do better.

I had a friend that always said that Pete Townsend and others that destroyed guitars on stage were douchebags because some kid in the audience would LOVE to have that axe, and could never afford one. I agree with this. But that is because a guitar is a living, loving creature that sings like a sad heart and joyously screams out its praise.

Most modern gadgets are rather the opposite.

Apple's consumption model is that anyone can use technology and not have to be knowledgeable of it's inner workings.  When someone handed you an iPhone or iPod, did you have to read a manual first?  Did you have to go to a website and crib how to use it?  You just put it in your hand and it worked.  Apple does what other companies do not do, or do not do naturally.  They design the product with the consumer in mind and they choose the widest swath of consumers available.  I hate their monolithic control of the entire vertical because the systems integrator in me wants to be able to plug it into more stuff.  I abhor the fact that the memory is not upgradable on any of their devices except Macintoshs.  These design decisions do make the product what they are.  Their design is solid and their architecture is solid.  They do it by owning the whole vertical and that pisses me and many off.

#22 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

I don't believe their architecture is solid at all; when I worked with OS X I found it to be the flakiest and nastiest Unix implementation of Unix I'd ever come across. Similarly, the hardware was extremely unreliable. I can't much fault my iPod granted but reports of software not working properly and weird bugs and wrinkles on new Apple products are legion. What they do well is cosmetic style, and marketing. The actual technology you get is as mediocre as it's overpriced, no matter how fashionable it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-24246646

• Wandering Hermit and grep like this

#23 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

I don't believe their architecture is solid at all; when I worked with OS X I found it to be the flakiest and nastiest Unix implementation of Unix I'd ever come across. Similarly, the hardware was extremely unreliable. I can't much fault my iPod granted but reports of software not working properly and weird bugs and wrinkles on new Apple products are legion. What they do well is cosmetic style, and marketing. The actual technology you get is as mediocre as it's overpriced, no matter how fashionable it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-24246646

QFT.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#24 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

QFT.