Photo

Forming a Band... War Stories? Pleasant Memories?

Rock band

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:11 PM

fucking really man?

is that shithole still open?

We were originally based in Flagstaff AZ, and we booked a 2 day gig at a bar in Prescott.  This was around 1997 or so.  The pay was really good relatively speaking.  Something like 1000/night.  Pretty good for a college band.  This gig was crucial to me too, because I was moving to San Diego (with the band to follow) for the summer and I really needed the money.

So we show up to the club and begin our load in, and it's one of those places with sand covering the dance floor.  They are also staffed to the nines—multiple beer stations, lots of hubbub.  OK, awesome?  I think?

Sound check all good.  Set time is around 7.  A little early but big deal.  The pay is good right? We're at this jammy, funk stage so we can keep it going for hours.  We start playing, and there is no one is in the place…crickets after we finish each song.

Finally this girl starts undulating in front of the stage, in the sand.  She's drunk.  A little older, but kinda White Trash hot.  We finish another song, and blasting out of the silence we here:  "PLAY SOME FUCKING REGGAE".  It's our drunk friend, with a look of malevolence in her eyes.

A quick apology from our singer: "sorry, we don't play any reggae"—into the next song.

Now our girl is no longer dancing—she is standing on the sand, alone, GLARING at us.

We finish.  "YOU SUCK!!!!"

Our bass player:  "your EARS suck!!"

Next song.  It's getting tense even though we've got a few more people in the club, and this slutty looking lunatic.  Finish that song and now we have a newcomer to the sand-floor.  It's the MC/DJ with a wireless mic.

Then things go all Trotsky, and the trial of Soulcracker begins.  Standing their like a prosecuting attorney, the MC starts shouting our supposed transgressions over the PA, "This is not the band they said they were, they LIED about who they are, they DON'T play reggae!"  All the while we are onstage staring at this guy.  And he's pointing his finger at us like he's the Atticus Finch of fucking biker/beach bars.

"Let's get this band out of here!!!"  

Turns out the drunk broad was the owner's girlfriend.

Apparently someone told them we were a reggae band (ya think?)  We'd been playing Prescott for a few years at that point, and never played reggae music.  They threw us out and stiffed us our 2 night's pay.  I drove out to San Diego broke as a joke.

#62 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Here's said prima dona in '98. I had just gotten my Geddy Bass that week.

Prima dona or not, the dude was an excellent front man.
  • Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#63 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:46 PM

Oh, he definately was that...He had to change shirts each set, because he'd sweat more in 45 minutes than I would in a month. And that was in Utah, where it would usually evaporate immediately.
He could also do the most amazing leg kicks. He could stand flat against a wall and kick a spot above his head. He eventually got really f'ed up on meth, to the point where he actually missed a gig. That was that for that band...

Hey...where's Perry?

#64 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

You guys were excellent-- fantastic singer and a mullet to boot.

A prima donna can be a good thing!

Please tell me you played Whitesnake songs.

#65 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

fucking really man?

is that shithole still open?

No I don't think it is. We half assed planned to do a drive by brick through the window but that would've been a bit obvious who was behind that wouldn't it...

#66 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

You guys were excellent-- fantastic singer and a mullet to boot.

A prima donna can be a good thing!

Please tell me you played Whitesnake songs.

Nope. It was the 90's. 80's hair metal wasn't cool yet.

The mullet was the one with the psycho wife...

The other guitarist, who wore a hairpiece, just made about 5 mil selling his Dodge dealership to Karl Malone from the Utah Jazz. His grandfather had started the business in 1945, and he decided it was time to cash in, at 52 years old...
  • chemistry1973 likes this

Hey...where's Perry?

#67 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Nope. It was the 90's. 80's hair metal wasn't cool yet.

The mullet was the one with the psycho wife...

The other guitarist, who wore a hairpiece, just made about 5 mil selling his Dodge dealership to Karl Malone from the Utah Jazz. His grandfather had started the business in 1945, and he decided it was time to cash in, at 52 years old...

Is the Gimme 3 Steps guitarist in the video?
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#68 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,604 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

No, that was from my first band in Connecticut in the 80's (and the one I'm back with now). Although from time to time the mullet (Russ) had similar issues. He didn't have the right feel for the intro to "Tie Your Mother Down", so the other guitarist would play it. And the beginning of the solo to "All Right Now", before the little bass part was always an adventure.

Hey...where's Perry?

#69 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:30 PM

Playing in Austin was great because there was a million places to play. Back then 6th street was the place to play, but after a while we got tired of it. The upside is, as I said, no shortage of stages to play on, but the downside is that it was a different crowd every night, and because clubs book 3 or 4 bands per night, you didn't get to play very long, so it was really hard to build a core audience (friends can be imposed upon to patronize you only so much -- you need to have true fans of your stuff, not just friends doing you favors), so we decided to look outside of 6th street and find a club we would call "home".

That lead us to Charlie's Attic, which was a neighborhood bar. Given that it was outside of the hustle and bustle of 6th street, we quickly learned that it was always packed on "live music nights". Charlie wasn't particularly strict about checking IDs, so it was a place where minors could occasionally sneak into.

But Charlie had a condition he imposed on bands playing there. He approached us during our first break with a binder full of songs that he "knew" and liked to "sing". If you wanted to play at his joint, you had to let him up on stage to do a couple of songs with you. Charlie had served in Nam and possibly suffered some sort of head injury, because it seemed like he was not quite "all there" -- in a spooky, dangerous sort of way. And he was a big man. We put him off that first night saying we didn't know any of the songs on his list, to which he said, "that's OK, you can learn a couple before you come back". So we did. It became clear that Charlie had no musical talent, so we learned to completely disregard any effort to sound good and just have fun for the few minutes he was up on stage with us.

• stoopid, Three Eyes and chemistry1973 like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#70 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

It became clear that Charlie had no musical talent, so we learned to completely disregard any effort to sound good and just have fun for the few minutes he was up on stage with us.

If you all sound kinda bad, the whole thing sounds better, overall? B)

• 2220020 likes this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#71 Tench Frickler

Tench Frickler

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

I've been in several bands over the years...

Late 80s-early 90s...

Was in a band called "Slightly Dangerous". I got the name of the band off of the side of a B-17 bomber at an airshow. Mainly a bunch of friends who got together in an old building behind my folks house and jammed on cover tunes. We were college age or HS. Only played two or three gigs. On our first "big" gig the bass player didnt show and I went to check on him about an hour before we started. He said he wasnt coming. His wife had plans for him that night with somebody coming over. I went berserk, and told him to fuck off. We were good friends and had grown up together. I didnt speak to him for years over it, but we played the gig and did fine. Was also in a band called "Matrix" that I replaced a guitar player who went off to college. We werent very good. There was about 10 of us in that band. I think we played twice and after the split I think I made about $10.

Mid 90s-early 2000s...

Was in a couple of bands, actually one band split and I got dragged to one of them. Had I known it was happening, I would have gone with the other one.  The original was called Southland...country and southern rock. We played alot. About every weekend for maybe three years. Mostly the "animal house" circuit (moose, elks, eagles clubs). It was a fun band. We split because the bass player wanted to play a place one month and the other guitar player wanted a break. Bass player asked if I wanted to play it and I said sure...turns out he had taken the drummer and found another singer (his wife) and a new guitar player and that wad the new band, "Sundown". We played alot too but went through a different guitar player about every three months for a year or two.

My only unpleasant on stage experience came with this band. As I said, we played ALOT during this time. Every weekend, sometimes multiple nights, for about  two or maybe three years. We all had jobs too, so we were getting pretty whipped. We had a four night a week booking for a month at an Eagles club. The other guitar player played thru a Marshall JCM 900 with a 4x12 stack and I had a Marshall combo. Toward the end of the month, one Thursday night, the bass player leaned over and told me to turn my amp down, and I complied. About a minute later he told me to turn it down again. I didnt think it was me, It was the other guy, but I turned it down a bit more.On the next song he leaned over and said, loud enough for the mic to pic up "Turn your amp down and leave it the FUCK down!!". Ok. I reached back and turned it off. I started alot of our tunes, and when the next song came up I played just like I always did. There were alot of fuck yous back and forth for a while, most of which the crowd heard. After the next break, I checked the other guys amp and it was on about 8. Mine was never more than 4. The next set, after the third or fourth song i started without any sound, he told me I could turn it back up a bit. Ok, I turned it on and cranked it. He went wild. We had about two weeks to go, so we handled it, then split. Pretty childish when I look back on it, buy like I said, we all had jobs and were playing every week, and when you play multiple night gigs, that is a second job. We were just tired of being around each other. Oh, yeah, the last guitar player at this time and I got in a fight one night too. Maybe it was me, LOL. He actually said he shouldnt have started it....They played together for a while and I went back to the other half and we played for a bit, doing covers and a few originals. I was playing with these guys when my son was born. That was the last night I played with this band, except for some fill in gigs. 

About a year later, around 2002, I was asked to play in a project for a girl who was going to record an EP. The only person involved that I knew was the bass player and the producer. We did a six song EP in about two days. It was really good. We hadnt intended to go any further than the EP as a band the the producer and the girl wanted to play some dates so we had to put a band together. with the me and the bass player. We found a guitar player who I knew but had never heard him play.  He showed up in the middle of his work shift, with a little Crate amp and his guitar and a wah pedal and proceeded to blow my mind. We played a few shows and cut another CD which sounded horrible and which I got stuck with the bill for. 

The girl quit, but didnt really tell us. The band would get together and rehearse every week, and when it seemed like the girl was not going to keep going, the guitar player and I started playing some songs we just liked instead of rehashing the band material over and over. We had worked up about 5 or six songs, and I called a guy I knew to come sing one night. He came over and there you had it. 

The HUNG JURY was born. We played our first show ten years ago this month, on my anniversary. We have been through a few drummers, and I have switched to bass about 6 years ago. But the lineup we have now is by far the best. I would play with these guys every night. We do covers, from Led Zepplin to Van Halen, to The Fixx, to Duran Duran, to Kiss, to anything from the 80s. We play once or twice a month, and have four shows this month, by far our busiest. 

I played in a few other bands along with "the Jury" since then, and was in four at one time about a year and a half ago, and was playing pretty steady, until I started kidney dialysis, so I quit the others and stayed with HJ. I figured playing with four bands at a time while having the blood siphoned out of you three times a week was a bit much. 

I've had fun in every band I've been in, some more than others. But I have made life long friends and gotten to play with some phenomenal musicians along the way and have learned something from every one of them. 

Oh, and everyone I told to Fuck Off along the way I have since made up with and get along great with. Except for the first bass players wife. I still cant stand that bitch. 

Tench

• stoopid, Three Eyes, Slut Puppy and 1 other like this

#72 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:45 PM

Prima dona or not, the dude was an excellent front man.

Is he ever! Old school moves but he has them down pat and you really believe he's into it.

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#73 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

Playing in Austin was great because there was a million places to play. Back then 6th street was the place to play, but after a while we got tired of it. The upside is, as I said, no shortage of stages to play on, but the downside is that it was a different crowd every night, and because clubs book 3 or 4 bands per night, you didn't get to play very long, so it was really hard to build a core audience (friends can be imposed upon to patronize you only so much -- you need to have true fans of your stuff, not just friends doing you favors), so we decided to look outside of 6th street and find a club we would call "home".

That lead us to Charlie's Attic, which was a neighborhood bar. Given that it was outside of the hustle and bustle of 6th street, we quickly learned that it was always packed on "live music nights". Charlie wasn't particularly strict about checking IDs, so it was a place where minors could occasionally sneak into.

But Charlie had a condition he imposed on bands playing there. He approached us during our first break with a binder full of songs that he "knew" and liked to "sing". If you wanted to play at his joint, you had to let him up on stage to do a couple of songs with you. Charlie had served in Nam and possibly suffered some sort of head injury, because it seemed like he was not quite "all there" -- in a spooky, dangerous sort of way. And he was a big man. We put him off that first night saying we didn't know any of the songs on his list, to which he said, "that's OK, you can learn a couple before you come back". So we did. It became clear that Charlie had no musical talent, so we learned to completely disregard any effort to sound good and just have fun for the few minutes he was up on stage with us.

Wow I think Complete would even reject that guy. But cool story. (And you had video too!)

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users