Photo

Forming a Band... War Stories? Pleasant Memories?

Rock band

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Drugs

1992-1993 Started in high school on an old 4 track reel to reel doing comedy material with Scott (longtime friend). Released some tapes locally.

1994-1996 College was all about drug use and jamming. Lots of small bands, still some recordings with Scott and some live gigs. Mix of comedy and serious material, minimal covers. Met a ton of very talented and cool musicians in drug circles, most of which I've not heard of/from again. Learned a lot about music in a VERY short amount of time though. No regrets. Had a tascam 4 track cassette recorder and used the hell out of it.

1997-1998 Mostly a hiatus, too busy using/trying to not use drugs to get anything organized/meaningful. Still secretly obsessed with music. 2 month stint as a bassist for a gospel band. Don't ask. lol

Post Drugs

1999-2000 While getting clean joined a fledgling 'sober' band Great Day For Up as their bassist. I was the least experienced of the group on stage. We had nominal success. Even got to play CBGB's on one of those open mic/talent nights. Great sound system, great memory. Still have the live recording of that and a few other shows. I eventually lost interest and believed a different bassist would be better suited for their heavier direction. Shortly after they really took off, getting signed by an indie 'stoner' rock label, some serious touring, even got one of their songs into a popular video game. Internal conflict tore that band apart, the prime mover has moved on to another very successful band and presses vinyl under his own label (which I think is pretty cool stuff). This was a great experience, albeit short, because I got to see how a real band worked and realized I wanted no part of it! lol I loved all the guys for different reasons, but together it was messy and dynamics too strained.

2001-2008 Worked primarily with a local friend Lew (Guitarist) and Scott long distance (he lives in California), learning the home recording craft. Some comedy, some serious. This was the foundation for things to come later. [Grep - I suspect you're about right here - enjoy the journey! ;) ]

2008-2011 Worked with Mike Vieira and others (The Systemic) online, learning about my intolerance and how to mix. :D Tremendous amount of ear-time as an engineer, I feel this is where I started to make a turn into becoming an aspiring engineer. I also feel, as a musician, contributing musically to these songs (mostly written by others) helped me to flex my wings and start thinking outside of the box.

2010 Brief local originals band (Foxhole Prayer) that fell apart when the guitarist suddenly had to move from the area. This is the turning point as I see it, because we had true chemistry and really enjoyed making music with each other. I also feel having to drill through the same songs over and over got my playing up to snuff, as well as playing with a very creative guitarist whose style rubbed off on me a bit. Ironically this guitarist recently moved back, and talk of 'bringing the band back' was circulating until the drummer's wife discovered they were having twins. :(

2011-Today Working occasionally with others (several new songs with Scott), sometimes solo, releasing numerous EPs and full length albums, really pushing my mixing skills and learning new software/tricks. Even trying my hand at "singing" although I will always default to another singer if one's available. Already have a lot of new music completed, with two albums being worked on simultaneously. I feel like I'm making the best music of my life right now.

Good for you sticking with it and dropping the habit.
  • smoog likes this

#22 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Good for you sticking with it and dropping the habit.

Looking back I don't think I really had a choice.  I would easily be dead by now.  Sadly too many people don't get clean and do end up dying young.  I'm just lucky.

• chemistry1973 and smoog like this
Putting the oOgEyMe back in Boogeymen.

#23 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

My early bands (Second Nature and Day Break) were plagued by guys with out-of-control drug habits. There were many times when I'd be the only one to show up for rehearsal. The money they spent on coke, X, crank, pot, and booze could have been spent so much more productively.
  • stoopid and smoog like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#24 Three Eyes

Three Eyes

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

I've been keeping all those memories safely suppressed, thank you very much. lol.

• 2220020, Planet X-1 and smoog like this

Hey there goes Alex. He's loaded with money. Wow he's really set himself up great.

#25 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 09 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

The money they spent on coke, X, crank, pot, and booze could have been spent so much more productively.

I blew through ~$25,000 on a coke/crack binge in the first half of 1996.  While I would certainly like to have that money back, what I learned about myself (for better and mostly worse) has proven invaluable and frankly, $25,000 worth of all the psychology in the world wouldn't have gotten me to where I happily arrived today.  So I see it as a cheap, although risky, investment in self improvement.  Every single bad decision and near death experience has gotten me here.  I got off cheaper than most!

If I hadn't gotten clean and/or died from drug use since, then yeah - blown money.

Sorry Mike, was not trying to derail your thread.  But you know how it goes.

• 2220020 and smoog like this

#26 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

Derailed? Hell no. More like pay dirt!!!

• smoog likes this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#27 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

jam around with a friend i've known since 2007 now, make weird shit.

graduated high school in 2001, i'd been playin the fuckin drums since 1992, taken lessons once a week with no interruptions for 8 years from a guy who played jazz/had played with a philharmonic and shit/taught jazz band.

in 2002 one of my friends from high school decides he wants to get a band together. he proceeds to find some of the most low-down, rotten, sketchy people ever to "jam" with.

he wants me to bring my equipment, i say no because im not haulin my shit to some house full of motherfuckers i dont know. plus, he said "they have drums."

i get over there, living room looks like a normal fuckin stoners house, jimi hendrix tapestry on the wall, looks ok right?

we get down into the "jam room"-the basement. shit goes downhill from there. the basement is a piece of shit, with a pos drumset with cymabls that are brand new. not the cheap shit either, zildjian A customs, a new ride, three crashes, new hats and a new china. the drums were a fucked up pearl export series from the 80s with scorch marks on the kick drum

one of the dbags volunteers "yeah man, my old ladie's brother stole those cymbals!"

james:"oh shit, man hope he doesnt get caught."

more small talk ensues, out comes to bong, i dont do that shit but i dont give a fuck if other people do, fuck it.

it has now been an hour, no music has been playedd and these guys are gettin fucked up. 

dude's phone rings, he answers "NO! I told you! I need C.M.! DONT FUCK WITH ME."

thinking to myself: "CM? What the fuck is C...Crystal meth."

I grabbed my stick bag, got the fuck out of there and never went back

james ended up "jamming a lot" over there and got some girl he met there pregnant.

thats oklehoma music story #1. I have many more

• grep, chemistry1973 and smoog like this

#28 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

i know of a a lot of guys around here who completely blew their brains up with the drugsor died or wound up in prison

glad you didnt

dont know what id fuckin do without the derp song

I blew through ~$25,000 on a coke/crack binge in the first half of 1996.  While I would certainly like to have that money back, what I learned about myself (for better and mostly worse) has proven invaluable and frankly, $25,000 worth of all the psychology in the world wouldn't have gotten me to where I happily arrived today.  So I see it as a cheap, although risky, investment in self improvement.  Every single bad decision and near death experience has gotten me here.  I got off cheaper than most!

If I hadn't gotten clean and/or died from drug use since, then yeah - blown money.

• smoog likes this

#29 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

who gives a fuk?

jam around with a friend i've known since 2007 now, make weird shit.

graduated high school in 2001, i'd been playin the fuckin drums since 1992, taken lessons once a week with no interruptions for 8 years from a guy who played jazz/had played with a philharmonic and shit/taught jazz band.

in 2002 one of my friends from high school decides he wants to get a band together. he proceeds to find some of the most low-down, rotten, sketchy people ever to "jam" with.

he wants me to bring my equipment, i say no because im not haulin my shit to some house full of motherfuckers i dont know. plus, he said "they have drums."

i get over there, living room looks like a normal fuckin stoners house, jimi hendrix tapestry on the wall, looks ok right?

we get down into the "jam room"-the basement. shit goes downhill from there. the basement is a piece of shit, with a pos drumset with cymabls that are brand new. not the cheap shit either, zildjian A customs, a new ride, three crashes, new hats and a new china. the drums were a fucked up pearl export series from the 80s with scorch marks on the kick drum

one of the dbags volunteers "yeah man, my old ladie's brother stole those cymbals!"

james:"oh shit, man hope he doesnt get caught."

more small talk ensues, out comes to bong, i dont do that shit but i dont give a fuck if other people do, fuck it.

it has now been an hour, no music has been playedd and these guys are gettin fucked up. 

dude's phone rings, he answers "NO! I told you! I need C.M.! DONT FUCK WITH ME."

thinking to myself: "CM? What the fuck is C...Crystal meth."

I grabbed my stick bag, got the fuck out of there and never went back

james ended up "jamming a lot" over there and got some girl he met there pregnant.

thats oklehoma music story #1. I have many more

• 2220020, Planet X-1, Slut Puppy and 1 other like this

#30 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

heres another for you. 1998, still in high school. another friend of mine, chris, cool motherfucker, tells me his old man plays bass and guitar and likes to rock. i go over to his house for the first timee and meet vic, his old man.

dude is huge, like 350 pound huge. nice fuckin guy, still friends with them to this day, wrote some good songs and played some good bass and guitar. he eventuallly retired from workin for the state of oklehoma a few yearss ago and just plays music all day and watches his grandkids.

anywayy vic is tellin me stories about the 70s and 80s at one point and produces this fuckin vhs tape from a band he wa sin back in the 80ss.

theyre playing in some shithouse bar in okc, someone rented a camcorder to record it because of 1 reason

that night their lead singer was going to set his pubes on fire on stagee.

theyre playin good times bad times by fuckin zeppelin.

it ends lead singerr has all of the lights turned off and then you see this faint orangeish glow and hear a 

"OH MOTHERFUCKERRR!"

dudee burned his pubs off and signed his dick

more oklehoma rock stories soon

• chemistry1973, Slut Puppy and smoog like this

#31 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,688 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, North Carolina

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

Too funny.

• smoog likes this

#32 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:43 PM

Very funny. I did a lot of drugs but never once thought to set fire to my pubes. Guess that's a "not yet". Haha

#33 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

Meth and H were around but not in the circles I frequented. Coke was bad enough. Pot, beer, and lsd dragged me down quick enough at the end. Brain can only handle so much.
  • smoog likes this

#34 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:57 PM

Happily, I was scared straight by an incident I'd rather not describe, after minimal use of a couple of hard drugs, around age 17.
(I had been a fairly regular pot smoker for a couple of years though.)
By the time the cautionary effect of my scare had worn off, around age 19, I met a hot, young thang who asked if I could keep drugs out of our lives. Fortunately, I was able to meet the challenge. I struggle with addiction in lots of ways, so I'm glad I had vagina/breast power as an incentive to stay clean.
How has this effected my music? Well, I've never written anything under the influence, so nobody can say "the music went to crap when he cleaned up." :D
  • grep, 2220020 and smoog like this

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#35 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

Meth and H were around but not in the circles I frequented. Coke was bad enough. Pot, beer, and lsd dragged me down quick enough at the end. Brain can only handle so much.

Crank (meth) seemed to be the drug of choice among my former band mates. They'd be up for days on end.
  • smoog likes this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#36 stoopid

stoopid

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

How has this effected my music? Well, I've never written anything under the influence, so nobody can say "the music went to crap when he cleaned up." :D

C'est merde au-naturale!   :D

• Slut Puppy and smoog like this

#37 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,411 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Crank (meth) seemed to be the drug of choice among my former band mates. They'd be up for days on end.

Yup. Fuck that shit.

#38 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

In Second Nature, rehearsals were almost always an excuse for the locals to party with us. The number of times when it was just the band rehearsing was very small in comparison to the number of times we'd be surrounded by people. There was one time when quite the party was going on...lots of minors...lots of drugs and booze...our practice place was located on the upper floor of a business on the square (the upper floor had been converted into a large apartment and rented to one of the band mates)...apparently someone who lived nearby called the cops (turn that shit down!)...the cops showed up and amazingly, quite fucking amazingly, told us to keep it down and then left. They could have busted everyone -- they must've known what was going on there -- but they were gone without so much as a warning about "getting those kids out of here".

Our rehearsal place was the building just to the right of Seidensticker's:

1177697_com_burnet.jpg
  • grep, stoopid, chemistry1973 and 2 others like this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#39 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,773 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 10 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

^^^ Somewhat similar story with my college band....whenever we practiced people would show up to party.

"Oh...you`re going to practice?  I`ll call so and so and we`ll stop by..."  and of course within an hour, the practice turns into a real party, complete with an unrehearsed band.  :D

• grep and 2220020 like this

Proud Knobhead

#40 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 10:58 PM

2003- same shit

james has gotten one of the orbitting whales from the creepy house pregnant and has fallen out with them over something, college is over for the summer and he comes back and i come back for the summerr too. 

fuckin wants to jam and says he wants to jam with this guy we went to hs with who graduated a year ahead of us. dude is worrking on gettin into med school so whatver this should be ok.

since were all back for the summer were with our parents and shit, as is this dude, rob. we go overr and rob is on his way home from his summer job and his dad comes to the door and lets us in. old guy is coool and explains that rob is having to ride a bike everywheree because he got a dui away at college.

rob shows up, its all coool, we start jammin and he actually has a few songs, some are pretty funnny.

then the motherfucker starts drinkin piss beer out in the garage. next thing i know his old man is out there

"YOU WANNA LOSE YOUR 4.0 TOO? DONT MAKE ME BEAT YOUR ASS IN FRONT OF YOUR FRIENDS!"

"FUCK YOU DAD!"

rob goes insidee gets the keys to his dads truck and takes off in it, trashed, blasting metallica.

his old man is losin it, and doesnt know where he put the keyss to robs fuckin truck to follow him.

meanwhile, james who is 2 sheets to the wind starts playin SO WHAT by metallica. 

james decidess we need to go find dumbass rob and his dad calls the cops a few minutes laterr james has his shit packed up and im ready to go loook for him

BOOM!

rob crashes his old mans truck into the garage doorr. poilce show up.

rob runs

rob gets tzaed

in a chevelle shirt

how fucking sad, wearing a chevelle shirt.

• smoog likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users