#1 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:39 AM

What the fuck is the point of having a printer at home that is connected to the internets...?

I've had a HP 8600+ for 2-3 years now and it's been awesome.  I just had to reinstall drivers because of some dumb shit that happened.  Like the first time, I was presented the choice of connecting it to the internets.  Why.  Why would anyone want or need to do this??

Let's say I'm out with a client and I see something I want to print, so I send it to my printer at home.  

This solves what problem, exactly?

What am I missing here??

#2 Pressure/Hopenosis

Pressure/Hopenosis

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern, MI

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

So imagine you're a contractor on the job site.  A client signs for goods and/or services and you print a hard copy at the main office.  Another scenario is the new family that takes baby pictures can instantly print them at Grandma and Grandpa's house...

Shit like that...

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.  I say fuck the pen because you can die by the sword! - Tom Araya

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:51 AM

Just don't route the printer into itself over the internet. Bad things will happen, and many trees will die.

falconext.png

#4 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:52 AM

p/h has a plausible scenario there.

But then the web connected printers will have their own fun attached to them. Anyone remember the days of anonymous faxes????

falconext.png

#5 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,533 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

Yes, those are good examples...thanks p/h.  I just completely failed to see how I could ever possibly use this technology.  I figured there had to be SOMEONE who would benefit, I just couldn't figure out who...

That makes sense.  

But yea, don't plug it into itself.  It'll 'splode!

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:26 AM

Some devices like to have an Internet connection for firmware updates.

#7 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 28 March 2015 - 04:18 AM

yea, I cannot stand the default auto-update ANYTHING 'feature'... I usually turn those off wherever possible for 2 reasons mainly:

- saves processor cycles & RAM from being wasted

- don't want to be on front line of bug-testers for any 'ol update that comes on down the pike...

If my equipment works, and I don't have a specific need for some new feature or driver in an update, there is no reason for the exposure to net cooties via poor coding, hacks, etc...

Also, with regard to internet printers... You can easily set up an e-mail address for the printer that can either queue or instantly print items sent from anywhere or anything. Know a guy who sends stuff (contracts, images, etc.) to it from his phone all the time...

#8 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:58 AM

i just run yum update and update shit without micro$hit or fucck-apple forcing shit on me

a neighbor of mine has his printer networkedd and he has no wifi pw. i sent pictures of geddy

#9 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,998 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:43 PM

We use one at work because every now and then I'll need a service contract printed up and both managers may be out of the office. They can set one up on their iPads and send it to the printer in the office.

Hey...where's Perry?

#10 smoog

smoog

Don't feed the troll

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:33 AM

ipads are for toools

We use one at work because every now and then I'll need a service contract printed up and both managers may be out of the office. They can set one up on their iPads and send it to the printer in the office.

#11 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:03 AM

What the fuck is the point of having a printer at home that is connected to the internets...?

I've had a HP 8600+ for 2-3 years now and it's been awesome.  I just had to reinstall drivers because of some dumb shit that happened.  Like the first time, I was presented the choice of connecting it to the internets.  Why.  Why would anyone want or need to do this??

Let's say I'm out with a client and I see something I want to print, so I send it to my printer at home.  

This solves what problem, exactly?

What am I missing here??

The same thing I was missing when my perfectly working photo quality 1220 professionlal series printer was killed because they decided to stop writing drivers for it.  i bought it in 2002.....

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."