21 replies to this topic

#1 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

--plug in a desktop computer into itself? my son was telling me about a kid who did that and d-dos'd the thing (or all of them in the group)- not sure if that's what he meant. the topic's come to mind again due to something something regarding online testing.

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

#2 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

A denial of service attack?  

Can't imagine that would result.  

Urban legend third line.

#3 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

Infinite recursion. Would open a wormhole into a pocket universe and then proceed to slowly suck in everything around it.

I'd stay away from that school. You never know just when those things will hit critical mass and leave a 30 foot crater. Like what happened at that Corvette museum in Florida.  That was someone's phone routed into it's own hotspot.

• 2220020, Planet X-1, Moving Target and 1 other like this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#4 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:46 AM

lol

Actually, it was Bowling Green, KY...but yea, it's pretty much the same thing as Florida.

rofl

• grep likes this

#5 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:48 AM

It happens in Florida all the time. Damned rednecks don't know a computer from a cinderblock.

#6 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:04 AM

--plug in a desktop computer into itself? my son was telling me about a kid who did that and d-dos'd the thing (or all of them in the group)- not sure if that's what he meant. the topic's come to mind again due to something something regarding online testing.

Using network ports?

#7 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Slim, i don't know. all i know is a kid "plugged one computer into itself (or others) and it dos'd the school's server. it's bullshit, but it's also hilarious because they should know something like this can be done. these districts want to spend so much money on equipment and staff have no idea how to take care of it. for example, in one of my son's classes, they are supposed to wipe the computers clean once a week or something, because whatthey do in the class is very graphics-intensive. kids are supposed to daily save their work on another format. they run so slowly and he finally looked at the thing and saw they didn't have any memory room to work in. teacher had no idea.

Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

#8 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

the rest of you- leave florida out of it- we are to blame for enough as it is!

• grep likes this

#9 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:37 PM

Best guess - didn't happen, just one of those hoaxes or rumours that gets spread around.

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:17 PM

In all seriousness - even if a comp had 2 network cards and you hooked them together, little would happen. The software would detect one conflict or another and disable the interfaces until something got fixed.

If you tried to do that on a network, say both network cards out to the network, then the network in question would just assign 2 IP addresses. One for each network card. then if you tried to do stuff like DOS your own comp by flooding port 2 with packets from port 1.... I suppose that you could slow down the comp so that it would be unusable.... I don't think there'd be much network effect except for heavy traffic for a while. Meh.

#11 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:07 AM

Best guess - didn't happen, just one of those hoaxes or rumours that gets spread around.

of course that's possible, but knowing these kids in this town, i wouldn't doubt they did it. either way, it's a little excitement in the drudgery that is american schools these days.

#12 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:08 AM

In all seriousness - even if a comp had 2 network cards and you hooked them together, little would happen. The software would detect one conflict or another and disable the interfaces until something got fixed.

If you tried to do that on a network, say both network cards out to the network, then the network in question would just assign 2 IP addresses. One for each network card. then if you tried to do stuff like DOS your own comp by flooding port 2 with packets from port 1.... I suppose that you could slow down the comp so that it would be unusable.... I don't think there'd be much network effect except for heavy traffic for a while. Meh.

well what could have done it? maybe they muppetized  something like what was done here ?

#13 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:51 AM

well what could have done it? maybe they muppetized  something like what was done here ?

It's hard to say.

#14 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:53 AM

Does Ian Anderson watch computers masurbate ?

#15 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:20 PM

My desktop doesn't have an outlet to plug its plug into. ;)
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#16 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

On a Unix / Linux machine it would just be internally routed; those packets wouldn't make it to the network cable - I suspect that's true for Windows as well. Similarly you can in principle connect two NICs with a simple ethernet cable - doesn't even have to be a crossover cable these days; switches auto-detect that and I suspect network cards do as well. But once again, not that it makes a practical difference - the network traffic will just get routed from one port to the other, at least conceptually, without actually troubling your length of CAT5 or whatever.

• grep likes this

#17 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:44 PM

Does Ian Anderson watch computers masurbate ?

There are many copies.

#18 2220020

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,813 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:38 AM

There are many copies.

He watches you masturbate to him watching you masturbate to him watching you masturbate...
  • grep likes this
  • • Any number images
  • • Images of any size
  • • Any number of URLs
  • • Any number of lines

#19 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

He watches you masturbate to him watching you masturbate to him watching you masturbate...

If he can trap him in such a loop, he will never be able to esape and watch anyone else ever again.

#20 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:04 AM

Ian Anderson is known for his infinite regresses...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users