35 replies to this topic

#1 Always the Winner

Always the Winner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

I bet even Iron Maiden wouldn't have the balls to charge this much for a book of Eddie artwork. What's next? Howard U, Lighting the Lighted Stage?

Pre-Order for the Art of Rush book begins Friday March 27 at 10am ET
100 Deluxe Roadcase Editions, 250 Special Editions and Classic Edition available

Art of Rush: Hugh Syme, Serving A Life Sentence
Art of Rush: Hugh Syme, Serving A Life Sentence

The Art of Rush is a 272 page coffee table book that delves into the 40 year relationship with Rush and their longtime artist and illustrator Hugh Syme. The stunning book begins with a foreword penned by Neil Peart, and contains original illustrations, paintings, photography, and the incredible stories behind each album that he has designed with the band since 1975.

The book's narration was written by music journalist Stephen Humphries and includes in-depth interviews with each Rush band member, Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart and artist Hugh Syme. The Art of Rush also contains entertaining anecdotes and commentary from a wide array of notable musicians, actors, athletes, writers, radio personalities and Rush insiders about their favourite Rush album covers, which clearly reveals how vital and impactful the visual representation of their music has been through the years.

One of the hallmark's of Rush releases is the considerable care and consideration that goes into each one – including the conceptual artwork. Readers of the Art of Rush may be surprised to discover just how much effort went into each concept and the execution for every album cover. In the days before Photoshop, each element of the artwork had to be handcrafted and pieced together. Take the gatefold for Hold Your Fire, for example, Hugh first constructed a miniature set of a city street and then super-imposed a picture of a fireball juggler on it. It's akin to what the Hollywood special effects studio used to do. Nowadays, of course, Hugh utilizes digital technology to create Rush's art. But as Neil Peart adds, "the tools got easier, but the thinking doesn't."

Some of the regaled stories include furtively crossing the border for a guerilla-style shoot for A Farewell to Kings, trying to herd a warren of rabbits for the cover the Presto, descending into the depths of an autopsy lab to find a brain for Hemispheres, building a pool inside Hugh's studio for Test for Echo, and a stunt involving fire, whiskey and photographer Deborah Samuel for Moving Pictures. But no history of the band's art would be complete without the story of the creation of arguably the band's most iconic image, The Starman, and cover art for 2112.

"From the first time Hugh and I met, we shared a level of communication that would sustain us through all the years of discussing art by long distance. We had the same values and tastes in images and design, and simply spoke the same language. That's why I off-handedly referred to him one time as ‘serving a life sentence as my art director," said drummer and lyricist Neil Peart, who has worked with Hugh on the art for every project Rush has released.

Rush fans will have first opportunity to pre-order the Art of Rush, including two special edition versions.

Pre-Order ANY of these editions, and you will receive an exclusive R40 Record Flat:
This Hugh Syme designed record flat is printed on 12" x 12" card stock and is printed on both sides. Side One will feature the R40 artwork, custom designed for this exclusive. Side Two will feature a complete discography of the Rush albums. This record flat is exclusive to this pre-order, and will not be available anywhere else, at any time.

The Pre-order for the Art of Rush book will begin on Friday, March 27 at 10 am ET at rushbackstage.com

Roadcase Deluxe Limited Edition 1/100

Limited to 100 copies, this deluxe limited edition will be numbered and signed by all 3 members of Rush & Hugh Syme.
The book will come in a hand-crafted road case designed by Anvil approx. 15" x 15" x 3" in size and will be enclosed in a custom slipcase.
A signed and numbered limited edition lithograph of Hugh Syme's detailed drawing of Caress of Steel, the first cover he worked on for Rush, will be inside the case,.
The case will have a metal plate affixed to the outside with the limited edition number and the limited edition lithograph of the Caress of Steel lithograph will match.
$995
Limited Edition, with Anvil roadcase
Limited Special Edition 1/250

Limited to 250 copies, the hardcover book will be numbered and signed by all 3 members of the band and artist Hugh Syme, enclosed in a custom slipcase.
$495

Hey...where's Perry?

#2 GhostWriter

GhostWriter

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:45 PM

The $99 version isn't bad if you just want a book with all the artwork. It's the signatures that push the limited edition up otherwise it's the same book.

It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

- Francis Bacon

#3 Valium

Valium

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

Next Rush asshole fingering sessions. It's WH's fault.

• fenderjazz and Moving Target like this

#4 Pariah Dawg

Pariah Dawg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts
  • LocationCalmer than you are

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Hugh Same

AllmanBrothersDifferentStages.jpg

• grep, baldiepete, chemistry1973 and 2 others like this
987655260thumbjerryplayph8.gif
MAKE AMERICA GRATEFUL AGAIN

#5 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:22 PM

Ru$$h

#6 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

Ra$h

Proud Knobhead

#7 stone2112

stone2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationLayton, UTAH

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

supply and demand.

If people don't buy it--the prices wouldn't be so high.

That being said--put me down for one without signatures--pretty cool birthday present unless I blow my quota out of the water then maybe one of the limited edition ones.

Yeah, you! It takes a little more persistence

To get up and go the distance!

#8 Moving Target

Moving Target

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • LocationThe Duchy of Cornwall

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:58 PM

Next Rush asshole fingering sessions. It's WH's fault.

He'd lead the charge!

• C... likes this

#9 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:09 PM

I don't see a problem with this.  It's a bit pricey, but that's a lot of pages of pictures.  

• Bonecrusher likes this

#10 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

Derek Riggs has all of his Maiden art work on his website. For free.

The bloke answers questions too about his work.
  • C... and Slut Puppy like this

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#11 A Rebel and a Runner

A Rebel and a Runner

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:53 PM

As someone who also follows the gaming collectibles market, I can confirm that that's about what you'd expect for a good-quality art-book.

To print them on high-quality paper with a good amount of detail costs money to begin with.  They're usually pretty solid products for the price.

Never bought an art book myself (go figure, blind person isn't that interested in visual art), but $99 isn't out of the realm of sanity for the going rate of these things, really.

• Bonecrusher likes this

#12 Tony

Tony

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationBolton

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

2554.f.jpg

You will throw a thousand bucks at a book of pictures...

rush_3.jpg

Suckas!!!

A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.

#13 Saint Ronnie

Saint Ronnie

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:20 PM

I don't have an issue with this, mind you I won't be buying any version, but a high quality coffee table book with an Anvil case, signed by the 3 guys and limited to 100 copies? I can see $500 easily and I'm pretty cheap when it comes to most memorabilia, so $1000 for 100 Rush fans - yeah, they'll sell out quickly. 

• Bonecrusher likes this

Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

— Matthew 6:19–21,24 (KJV)

#14 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,589 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

I gotta admit, I'll probably go for the 99 version. It sounds cool, and Father's day is coming up.

How soon before they do the r40 band history photo book? Camera Eye : the Rush story in photos.

Rogue-One-Death-Star-Installment.jpg

May The Force Be With Us...

#15 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,611 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:18 PM

He'd lead the charge!

Hell yes.

I've got a broom handle with Neil's name on it.

• C... likes this

Those who know what's best for us...

#16 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:54 PM

Deep fried monkey balls, in a truffle infused jus. Probably.

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 Rick N Backer

Rick N Backer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

I hear the sounds of salesmen, echoing everywhere....

I'd pay 40 bucks for the regular edition, tops.

#18 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:20 PM

FistfulOfAliceSyme.jpg

• grep likes this

#19 Hemisfears

Hemisfears

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationBetween Chicago & Milwaukee

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:23 AM

One of the hallmark's of Rush releases is the considerable care and consideration that goes into each one –

Vapor Trails....

#20 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 5,462 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:31 AM

I don't think of Visual Arts when I think of Rush.  Trust me, I know the value of Hugh Syme.  I get it.  I raised a graphic designer.  He has done an amazing job giving Rush a visual identity.  To me, it's not much.  Give me Rush and headphones.  I don't need pictures.  I barely need words.  I want to hear a proggy hard rockin band.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users