• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationDetroit, ROCK City

Posted 22 March 2015 - 06:41 PM

And another great one from tonight:

5fda134a-8176-4b9e-8004-a03dec126b3f_zps

Edited for da new page   :EMERIL BAM crop:  :EMERIL BAM crop:  :funyuns:

Although mine did not include Steel Reserve, I did tie one on in Fly's memory last night... shed more than a few tears after a few drinks, too...

0321151626_zpsmyedek0g.jpg

Buenos noches y hasta luego, mi amigo...

Rush07Shoreline028.jpg

20b17b4b-a49a-4567-bd13-f55bbbaf7850.jpg

#202 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

This is heartbreaking.

(Am only just seeing this now - was traveling and avoiding the net for a for over a week.)

Fly was always so upbeat and funny. Always wanted to meet him, but never did. I always remember a pic of him and Elaine playing their air guitars together along to something from R30. From a BARF I think.

I don't know what else to say. I just wish he wasn't gone. Does anyone here communicate with his family at all? Do they have any idea how many friends he had here at CP?

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#203 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

This is heartbreaking.
Does anyone here communicate with his family at all? Do they have any idea how many friends he had here at CP?

Yes & yes.

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#204 madrigal

madrigal

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Locationneither here, nor there

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

This is heartbreaking.

(Am only just seeing this now - was traveling and avoiding the net for a for over a week.)

Fly was always so upbeat and funny. Always wanted to meet him, but never did. I always remember a pic of him and Elaine playing their air guitars together along to something from R30. From a BARF I think.

I don't know what else to say. I just wish he wasn't gone. Does anyone here communicate with his family at all? Do they have any idea how many friends he had here at CP?

It is heartbreaking. And you are very much not alone in the way you feel. We all wish he were not gone.

I've been in communication with his two sisters and they are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that he's had by his Rush family and friends. It's truly meant so much to them. And it's helping (at least a little) as they also try to cope with this untimely and unfortunate passing. :'(

#205 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,008 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

It is heartbreaking. And you are very much not alone in the way you feel. We all wish he were not gone.

I've been in communication with his two sisters and they are overwhelmed by the outpouring of love that he's had by his Rush family and friends. It's truly meant so much to them. And it's helping (at least a little) as they also try to cope with this untimely and unfortunate passing. :'(

Thank you for taking that to them.  You are truly helping!  As hard as it is on all of us, I'm sure it's much worse for them.

#206 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,795 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted 23 March 2015 - 02:45 AM

If you'd used grep -w you wouldn't have picked up that printf.

Nitpicker. :)  I missed that myself when I found the image on the net.

falconext.png

#207 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

So glad peeps who knew him IRL are reaching out to the family.  This kind of thing really helps.  I'm not much for throwing around cliches, but the adage that a joy shared is doubled and a misery shared is halved is often, in my experience, true.  It also makes the point that what helps is the mere act of sharing the misery - often we feel helpless either not knowing what to do or assuming that nothing we can do can "really" help.  And yet just expressing shared sorrow can be of considerable comfort.

A while back on another message board I used to follow, a member had been silent for a year or so and it came to light that person took his own life.  A family member asked that that person's posts not be removed, because it had given them comfort just knowing that their loved one had taken part in an online community, sharing his work with others.  Of course this led to a number of posts following which ended up being still more solace for the family member.

On a more personal note, my best friend growing up, whose first name was Adam, took his own life at the age of 35 (he and I were still very good friends).  Upon learning of this, the husband of a co-worker (someone I interacted with maybe 3-4 times up to that point) presented me with the self-titled Jackson Browne CD which had a track on it called Song For Adam.  The song is about a friend of Browne's who took his own life.  On giving me the CD, he made the comment that he has found that listening to music doesn't change our emotions so much as allows us to experience them more deeply.  He was essentially saying the adage to me - I know this won't fix anything, but I know you'll be thinking about your friend and I'm thinking about you.

When that song comes on my computer, random play, or when any song comes from that album random play, I usually do think of Adam, but I also think of my co-worker's husband's simple gesture of kindness.  Those songs, rather than being tainted with sadness by association, are instead connected to the gratitude I felt for that gesture.

If this message board, or Rush music, or whatever can serve as a bit of comfort for WF's family and friends, it will be a good thing.

LYqbjSn.jpg

#208 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Do we know for a fact that Windshield Fly took his own life---or is this something that his inner circle should just be privy to?

Has there been an investigation or a note of some kind?

Perhaps it's unimportant -- but to me there's the possibility of others being at fault for his passing (the drivers of the vehicles that hit him).

#209 Slut Puppy

Slut Puppy

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationEast of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

Posted 23 March 2015 - 04:23 PM

Do we know for a fact that Windshield Fly took his own life---or is this something that his inner circle should just be privy to?

Has there been an investigation or a note of some kind?

Perhaps it's unimportant -- but to me there's the possibility of others being at fault for his passing (the drivers of the vehicles that hit him).

There are strong indicators that he took his own life. I don't really want to go in to details (and I'm not sure I should). Perhaps at some point it will feel appropriate. However, maybe not publicly.

As you suggested, the most important thing is that we have lost him and we need to support one another.

No, I don't think there is any reason to cast anger at the drivers involved. A human showing up suddenly in the middle of a freeway (one way or another) when you're traveling at freeway speeds is not possible to avoid...

...I'm the whole source of everything.

#210 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,008 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

I'm glad you all got together and hopefully some comfort in all of you getting together and talking.  Let the healing begin

#211 OldRUSHfan

OldRUSHfan

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,729 posts
  • LocationSaline, MI, SSW of Ann Arbor

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:00 PM

So glad peeps who knew him IRL are reaching out to the family.  This kind of thing really helps.  I'm not much for throwing around cliches, but the adage that a joy shared is doubled and a misery shared is halved is often, in my experience, true.  It also makes the point that what helps is the mere act of sharing the misery - often we feel helpless either not knowing what to do or assuming that nothing we can do can "really" help.  And yet just expressing shared sorrow can be of considerable comfort.

A while back on another message board I used to follow, a member had been silent for a year or so and it came to light that person took his own life.  A family member asked that that person's posts not be removed, because it had given them comfort just knowing that their loved one had taken part in an online community, sharing his work with others.  Of course this led to a number of posts following which ended up being still more solace for the family member.

On a more personal note, my best friend growing up, whose first name was Adam, took his own life at the age of 35 (he and I were still very good friends).  Upon learning of this, the husband of a co-worker (someone I interacted with maybe 3-4 times up to that point) presented me with the self-titled Jackson Browne CD which had a track on it called Song For Adam.  The song is about a friend of Browne's who took his own life.  On giving me the CD, he made the comment that he has found that listening to music doesn't change our emotions so much as allows us to experience them more deeply.  He was essentially saying the adage to me - I know this won't fix anything, but I know you'll be thinking about your friend and I'm thinking about you.

When that song comes on my computer, random play, or when any song comes from that album random play, I usually do think of Adam, but I also think of my co-worker's husband's simple gesture of kindness.  Those songs, rather than being tainted with sadness by association, are instead connected to the gratitude I felt for that gesture.

If this message board, or Rush music, or whatever can serve as a bit of comfort for WF's family and friends, it will be a good thing.

It's like that with my BFF David Bruce Plummer (†) who died from cancer in '07....our big thing since we became friends in '73, was introducing the other person to new bands we'd discovered....now I hear that stuff, many, many bands, and get choked up almost every time....music definitely enhances the experience...cryingeyesout.gif

EnjoyCCola.jpgmusicgif.gif

ninjaanim1.gif

panda.gif

Chris Hardwick is NERDIST GOD. Portrait-%20Chris%20Hardwick%20sm.jpg

oldman.gif

HugeGrin.gif

Here's the KITTY! kittyredX.gif

sfl_glbtsm.gif

"OH!"

:banana dance Original: "PEANUT BUTTAH JELLEH!" :banana dance Original:

"I'm DAMAGED...and I LIKE IT!"

"We are here to HELP each other, not to HARM each other.  Think about it..."

#212 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:09 AM

#213 Planet X-1

Planet X-1

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,776 posts
  • LocationRight Field

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:10 PM

It's like that with my BFF David Bruce Plummer (†) who died from cancer in '07...

Hey I remember DaveP.... RIP

Proud Knobhead

#214 Bones

Bones

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

R.I.P. Windshield Fly

♥♥♥

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

#215 Rush Didact

Rush Didact

Advanced Member

• Peeps
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:58 PM

Jesus.  I just found this.  Fly was around here longer than I was, he was a constant.

MT said a couple pages back that he was like Socrates, wandering around the board poking holes in arguments without having any particular agenda.  That couldn't be more true.

Damn.

#216 Tea2

Tea2

• Peeps
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

A fly-ku for you

Your wit and humor always

Will be remembered

:(

#217 Mission Position

Mission Position

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 620 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:43 PM

This still bothers me.  But I suppose that's a good thing.

I cling to this community (CP, TRF, and the real world of Rush fans) more than many of you may know.  I'm the type of person who doesn't call often, but relishes in the time I get to spend with you guys, especially in person. 

I remember vividly hanging out in Eddy & Lisa's place, with Rich Carter, and Mike, and doing what probably looks like a whole lot of nothing form the outside.  But it was our nothing, and it was good.  We painted a picture of sorts, in my mind, the way good times often do.  I know the same pictue can never be exaclty re-created, but we could have come close enough... but now there's a Mike-sized piece of it that will never again get its chance to put brush to canvas.  And that makes me sad.

I am the artist formerly known as Schnoodles, who was the artist formerly known as Prime Mover and Shaker.

Rough Demos: www.jaypsi.com

#218 Wandering Pixie

Wandering Pixie

• Moderators
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:30 PM

I cling to this community (CP, TRF, and the real world of Rush fans) more than many of you may know.  I'm the type of person who doesn't call often, but relishes in the time I get to spend with you guys, especially in person. 

I remember vividly hanging out in Eddy & Lisa's place, with Rich Carter, and Mike, and doing what probably looks like a whole lot of nothing form the outside.  But it was our nothing, and it was good.  We painted a picture of sorts, in my mind, the way good times often do.  I know the same pictue can never be exaclty re-created, but we could have come close enough... but now there's a Mike-sized piece of it that will never again get its chance to put brush to canvas.  And that makes me sad.

(We need a hug emoticon).

Hearing you in stereo. Indeed, I both feel for and slightly envy those who got to know him in the real world. He was a good man with a good heart. The world needs more of those.

My own personal real-world interactions with him (to my recall) was one phonecall. The memory of that call was a secondary punch in the gut after I heard the news.

Las Vegas, April 2008.

I believe my previous stop was San Francisco, where I met madrigal in person for the first time. She passed on Mike's number, in order to call him after I left the Bay Area. Instead, my journey took me to Las Vegas/Death Valley/Valley of Fire. 

Whilst in Vegas, I gave Mike a call from my hotel room. I remember the conversation went on for quite a long while and the happy, friendly sound of his voice. He made me the offer of a place to crash if I was passing through Lompoc/the Highway 101 area on my way back to Vancouver.

Time grew short, I had to get back to Vancouver and decided to take the quick route back (Interstate 5). I didn't wind up taking Mike up on his offer, a decision that is now to my eternal regret. I find myself wondering what may have happened in a parallel universe, where I had gone to Lompoc, gotten to know Mike personally and become a real-world friend.

Indeed, I can't help but shake a nagging memory that I DID wind up meeting him in person at some point. Just a fragment of a memory of "Fly!!!" and a hug. Maybe it was at Casey & Julie's Vegas party in 2010? 2011? Do any peeps recall such an occasion?

Now, all we can do is honour him by remembering him.

:funyuns:

#219 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:24 PM

hugs_046.jpg

pethug.jpg

Snoopy.jpg

#220 DustoftheStars

DustoftheStars

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:01 AM

A whole lot of nothing is everything, and it's the best kind of good.

I don't know, but it's been said: You do or don't and then you're dead
So climb away, get higher, son- never straight, just move ahead
Know, my child, that there is no devil seekin' to cause guilt in the hearts to men.
No evil, save blind faith, ignorance, and the desire for the unprepared to blame others for the devastation left in the wake of change.
Fear not the movement of the heavens above or the earth below for change is what we are, my child.
And if we are reflections of the divine we must roll with these changes, for we are these changes.  

3eebf325-0d00-4d61-8f78-ecc2e0d4f04a.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users