486 replies to this topic

#481 Slim

Slim

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:25 PM

I don't read books often, but downloaded Adam Hall's Tango Briefing to my Kindle just before coming on holiday here in Cornwall, and I finished it today.

Tango Briefing is one of 19 novels written by the British author Elleston Trevor under the nom-de-plume Adam Hall, about an enigmatic British secret service 'executive' (agent) named Quiller. He also wrote The Flight Of The Phoenix, which became a famous James Stewart film 50-odd years ago.

I particular wanted to read this one because a Quiller TV series was made by the BBC in 1975, and the only episode I can remember was based on this book. Older readers may also remember a 1966 film, The Quiller Memorandum, with George Segal.

This one was written in 1973 and doesn't have the usual cold war theme. Instead he has to find a freighter plane with a mysterious cargo that's come down in the Sahara, before various Arab government and security services can find it.

I found it a frustrating, but ultimately rewarding read. It's a cracking story, told in the first person but bloody hell, he takes his time telling it - in a long-winded, rambling stream-of-consciousness style, sometimes taking in plot aspects that contribute nothing ultimately to the story. He also has this little trick of taking you by surprise by casually referring to something you haven't quite found out about yet, for dramatic effect - "it occurred to me, in one of those stray thoughts that pass through our minds at unlikely moments, that it wasn't a very easy death I was giving him" - Er, what? Oh, right! Even though he's got you under armed guard, you're about to kill him!

And it gets a bit wearing after a while.

I honestly think you could remove about 40% of the book and it would be all the better for it. Needs an edit but it won't get one, and it's worth a few hours of your time anyway if you're into this sort of thing.

#482 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 04:03 PM

I just read Phil Collins’ memoir - it’s excellent.

Also read Steve Kilbey’s memoir (singer, bass player, songwriter for the Church). Also excellent.

Both have a similar story-arcs. In Collins’ case, he was WAY more successful than Kilbey, but still fell victim to the cliched group of excesses: drugs and chicks, man.

Early in Kilbey’s memoir, he sites Flaming Youth as an influential group.

The big takeaway for Collins book, for me anyway, is that you can’t escape hurting other people without dealing with that resultant guilt. If you hurt people you love, no matter what your excuse is, it will come back to get you and manifest in the worst way.

#483 grep

grep

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationNYC USA

Posted Yesterday, 02:25 AM

Been catching up on Dune, on the Kindle. Haven't read the original 5 Frank Herbert books in almost 30 years.

I hear you, Old Worm.

falconext.png

#484 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted Yesterday, 04:05 AM

Been catching up on Dune, on the Kindle. Haven't read the original 5 Frank Herbert books in almost 30 years.

I hear you, Old Worm.

BBC America broadcast the 1984 Dune movie yesterday. There is ongoing talk of a reboot.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#485 Wandering Hermit

Wandering Hermit

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Under The Volcano

39251518775_10b2b656ff_z.jpg

#486 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:25 PM

BBC America broadcast the 1984 Dune movie yesterday. There is ongoing talk of a reboot.

Apparently it’ll be a multipart series, and will be more closely aligned with the books.

I love David Lynch but his film is a beautiful shitshow.

#487 chemistry1973

chemistry1973

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,516 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 PM

Some news today oddly enough:

https://filmschoolre...lleneuves-dune/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users