scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

^^^

And here, over the course of several months you've gone from not really liking IPA or very hoppy beers to being a true hop-head.  The hops are the key to this "American" part of this beer revolution.  They are grown here and the growers and the brewers are taking them to new levels.

Agreed, and I owe you a lot of thanks for being patient...   :P

I still consider myself to be very picky about IPAs and the general tendency to over do it here in the states.  For every one I've tried and liked there are at least three more I didn't like.  And my list of favorites so far is a very diverse list indeed...

My favorites so far:

Lawson's Sip Of Sunshine

Other Half Hop Showers

Founders All Day IPA

Cigar City Jai Alai IPA

Balast Point Grapefruit Sculpin

Single Cut Billy 18-Watt

Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin'

Honorable mentions to The Alchemist Heady Topper, interesting and tasty in the moment but a little over the line for my taste, and Lagunitas Citrusinensis, which was so awesome the first time I tasted it, and so disappointing the second.

#163 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 05 August 2016 - 02:59 PM

I tried the other two by Other Half Brewing over the past couple of days.  The All Green Everything Triple IPA is pure heft, 10.5% ABV, massive hop presence up front that smacks you right in the mouth, with a surprisingly clean finish.  It reminded me of an even more muscular Heady Topper.  A really good beer that, like the Heady, I probably couldn't drink more than one or two of on occasion.

The ! Imperial IPA was delicious, a lot maltier than the other two with a nice sweetness and a spice that I couldn't put my finger on (maybe a little clove/orange zest?).  Definitely the most unique of the three, reminded me a little of the Jai Alai in that respect.  Of the three the Hop Showers was definitely my favorite, a stellar beer indeed!

#164 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 06 August 2016 - 10:25 PM

I pretty much hate those plastic holder together thingies that are many-a craft beers six packs.  Obnoxious.  Am I missing something on getting cans out of those damn things?  Is there an easy way?

Back.  Again.

#165 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,548 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:38 AM

I pretty much hate those plastic holder together thingies that are many-a craft beers six packs.  Obnoxious.  Am I missing something on getting cans out of those damn things?  Is there an easy way?

I take the can, and bend it up until it's sitting nearly upside down, and slowly bending it still more so it pops out.  You've got to do it carefully to not shake the beer.  I hate them too, but they are life saving for aquatic wildlife.  The old fashioned six pack rings end up around fish, strangling them or inhibiting their ability to hunt for food.

#166 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Yea, that's what I do, too.  And since I prefer cans (since I have all manner of beer glasses to pour into), I sometimes buy sixes that have the plastic rings.  In every case, I cut the rings in the plastic so if they get into the ocean or wherever, they won't constrict marine life.  But these retarded plastic holder things are horrible.  

Back.  Again.

#167 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 09 August 2016 - 01:45 PM

Other Half is having another can release this Saturday, four beers I believe, but unfortunately I'm leaving on my trip Thursday.  Does sound like a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn though FJ...   ;)

#168 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 4,548 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:26 PM

Other Half is having another can release this Saturday, four beers I believe, but unfortunately I'm leaving on my trip Thursday.  Does sound like a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon in Brooklyn though FJ...   ;)

I will consider going

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users