#41 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationOn the Train to Bangkok

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:25 AM

It's also nice to have a bar with a killer beer list.  I'l be hitting Geronimo's tomorrow for UFC 189, and their's is no joke:

http://geronimosbar....mosBeerList.pdf

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

#42 SJS

SJS

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts
  • LocationJust east of Lyra

Posted 11 July 2015 - 02:47 AM

My current fave.

GooseIsland_TenHills2.jpg

LYqbjSn.jpg

#43 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:38 AM

It's also nice to have a bar with a killer beer list. I'l be hitting Geronimo's tomorrow for UFC 189, and their's is no joke:

http://geronimosbar....mosBeerList.pdf

Pretty decent price points for the bottles. That is if the prices are for bombers. Not a bad selection. The West Coast could represented better. No Firestone, Greenflash or Stone?!!!

#44 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 01:56 AM

I had the good fortune of tasting a Deschutes the Abyss 2014 Reserve last Saturday. It's a porter "brewed with black strap molasses,licorice, cherry bark and vanilla" partially aged in oak bourbon barrels, new oak barrels, and oak wine barrels. It was beer Nirvana, the best stout/porter barrel aged goodness I've ever had. I had 2 bombers purchased about 7 months ago. One I split with my best friend on Saturday. The other I'm going to cellar for 2-3 years to reach what I'm told will be it's peak perfection. I decided to try one of them "early" to see if the cellaring makes that much of a difference. I can't imagine it getting better, but am excited about the possibility. Cheers!

#45 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

Pretty decent price points for the bottles. That is if the prices are for bombers. Not a bad selection. The West Coast could represented better. No Firestone, Greenflash or Stone?!!!

A number of reasons reasons for that:

One would be his wholeasler/distributor. The craft to macro ratio is not good for most of the wholesalers to the bars down here, and they handle very few of the WC micros and crafts.  I know of another beer bar with 40+ taps that orders from 3 different wholesalers.

Florida's 3 tier system (brewer/wholesaler/retailer)as mandated by the legislative confederacy of dunces in Tallahasse and dictaedt o by the macro brewers (ie BMC-Bud, Miller, & Coors) is a joke.  It took until 7/1/15 before microbreweries could sell beer in 64 oz. growlers-before then it was 32 or 128 oz.

Most important, this is South Florida, which despite the inroads of the crafts and micros, is still overrun by BMC swilling yokels, and what few craft beer or micro brews in the bars won't be West Coast.  Geronimo's has 4 or 5 rotating taps in addition to what's on the list, and those are running beers from local or other FL craft or microbrewries.  If I want West Coast beers (and I enjoy a Green Flash Palate Wrecker every now and then) I go to Total Wine and mix a six or get a bomber.

"Can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."

#46 Drewsifer

Drewsifer

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 03:21 AM

Total Wine is kind, even out here. SoCal is a Mecca for bars and stores to try and outdo each other for having the biggest selection. Not a bad thing at all.

#47 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 01:58 AM

Total Wine is kind, even out here. SoCal is a Mecca for bars and stores to try and outdo each other for having the biggest selection. Not a bad thing at all.

Amen.  We have two local chains ( ABC Liquor & Wine and Crown)  down here, but you could take an ABC store, combine it with a Crown store, and still not match  the stock of  TW.  The places are a joy.  If it's alcoholic, and  they don't have it, you don't need it

#48 Greg

Greg

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

When I lived in Chicago, I was stumbling distance from Goose Island in Lakeview.  Food was great.  Beer was great.  Loved that place...

#49 DarthLen

DarthLen

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts
  • Locationa galaxy, far, far away...

Posted 16 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

Don't drink beer nearly as much as I did in previous lives, but if I'm going to get one to go with a meal, it's got to be a real beer and not that AB shite flavored water.

Stuff like Sapporo, Peroni, Tsingtao, Becks or St. Pauli Girl (heineken sucks), Tecate, Blue Moon varietals, the Maudite, Bass or Guinness (tho it's been YEARS since I've had either of last two as they are pretty heavy and I typically need to be eating a porterhouse). Depends on the mood and the food, but I also like to be adventurous and try the local stuff being produced; some is really good and some I just have to shake my head at - it's that hit or miss... Red Stripe goes down nice with certain foods and I wish I could remember the name of that Ethiopian beer served us in TO back in '06; that stuff was divine, especially paired with the food. Such amazing flavors.

#50 Digital Sam

Digital Sam

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • LocationSunny Western NY

Posted 17 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

For our 40th annual 4th of july party this year we did a 40 beers for 40 years tasting. I'm now sure if we really got up to 40, but we had quite a good table full. We ranged the full gamut from shitty domestics to high-end micros. There were plenty of good home-brews too. Since it was a special occasion I raided the cellar of one very special bottle, a 1994 Samuel Adams Triple Bock. Having aged this long it transformed into something that is very similar to a fine balsamic vinegar but with alcohol replacing the acidity. It was sweet and smooth and rich and silky and utterly sublime. At 21 years old, it's certainly matured well now that it's come of age.

Otherwise, I've been drinking a wide selection of craft brews. I get a six-pack of something new every time I go grocery shopping. My daily drinker lately has been Founders All Day IPA.

[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]if you trust in yourself...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and believe in your dreams...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]and follow your star...[/color]
[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;font-size:13px;background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.[/color]

#51 pjbear05

pjbear05

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:23 AM

Oh Sunday was a blast!  Did the tour of Funky Buddha Brewery in Lauderdale.  5 bucks gets you the tour, at the start of which they hand you a logoed 16 oz. pilsner glass, give a history of the brewery, and pour your first beer sample.  During the rest of the tour they make 3more stops expalining the brewing and bottling process, during which they pour you a diffrent sample.  Our samples were an IPA, a hefeweizen, a porter, and a red ale spiked with raspberries and habaneros-yeah, that'll jolt your tastebuds.  Afterwards I watched the 'Fins get beat by the 'Jags, downed numerous pints, and had a Cuban sandwich courtesy of a food truck parked outside.  A most beneficial day!

https://funkybuddhabrewery.com/

#52 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts
  • LocationNYC Area Suburbs

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

I hit the motherlode of Lawson's Sip of Sunshine two weeks ago.  Got 20 cans, a record (normally they only will sell you 1-4 cans.  Given it's a fresh hop beer it's best consumed days to weeks after canning.  This is one of the best in the U.S.  An 8%ABV high IBU (bitterness) that is equal parts tropical/citrus/dank

http://www.beeradvoc...e/17980/117177/

lawsons-sip-of-sunshine-dipa.jpg?w=300

#53 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Got my hands on the very rare Gandi-Bot too.  This is the last run before the name change.  Apparently since beer check-ins on the internet became a thing, people in India found out and got pissed off.  Indians in America never seemed to have a problem.  This beer is available only at the brewery and in a few stores and restaurants in only two counties in Connecticut.  

Gandhi-bot is a double IPA very high IBU and ABV also around 8.8%   http://www.beeradvoc...file/357/57259/

Gandhi-Bot_3154546b.jpg?w=700

Speaking of, is anyone on Untappd?  Untappd is like Facebook except for beer.  Check it out, join up and friend me!

#54 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

I am so not a fan of the overdone hoppy-ness of American craft beers, and I detest IPA's in particular...  Blech!

#55 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

^^^

Get yourself some of this then.  It's out black friday  http://www.gooseisla...unty-stout.html

#56 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

^^^

Get yourself some of this then.  It's out black friday  http://www.gooseisla...unty-stout.html

That sounds good...

#57 scott14

scott14

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

We had a microbrewery open here on Staten Island last year, Flagship Brewery, that I was looking forward to having in the area, but unfortunately even their unfiltered wheat beer is way over-hopped.  I was totally disappointed.

#58 nickslikk2112

nickslikk2112

Advanced Member

• Peeps*
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:07 PM

We had a microbrewery open here on Staten Island last year, Flagship Brewery, that I was looking forward to having in the area, but unfortunately even their unfiltered wheat beer is way over-hopped.  I was totally disappointed.

Overhopping is a major problem in US craft breweries  - and increasingly in British ones - this can be OK for a pint of IPA, but more often than not you don't want a second, but to over-hop a wheat beer? That's borderline criminal, heck, it is criminal! That's worse than VW's emissions fiddling!!!!!!

645df0a0-f61a-4f15-a847-b0bdbfe31afb_zps

Old Rush Good, New Rush Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#59 fenderjazz

fenderjazz

Insert witty title here

• Administrators
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:41 PM

Overhopping is a major problem in US craft breweries - and increasingly in British ones - this can be OK for a pint of IPA, but more often than not you don't want a second, but to over-hop a wheat beer? That's borderline criminal, heck, it is criminal! That's worse than VW's emissions fiddling!!!!!!

Wheat beers should be left alone. Some noble hops and fruit peels and that's enough. Agree.

The American hops being used in such large quantities are responsible for the craft beer revolution, at least in the US so I don't think you'll see this trend reverse just yet. There are still lots of other choices but it just seems that big IPAs sell. I like them because there is quite a bit of variance. You can do a lot of different things with those beers. The Italian craft beer revolution is well underway and very much like the Americans very IPA and hop forward.

#60 MrSkeptic

MrSkeptic

Advanced Member

• Hat Award Winner
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,605 posts
  • LocationNorthwesterly

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:51 PM

I know a couple of guys who brew their own beer and the hoppier the better, according to them. Others, not so much. Why hoppy beer is alienating beer drinkers.

They said I could be anything, so I became a disappointment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users